Lions re-sign WR Kalif Raymond

Louis Friend

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

No $$ details yet. Nothing says "we need talent" like spending all your cap space on your own scrubs from last season.

He did make a few splash plays last year and provides that speed element. It will all depend on the money. I don't hate it if it gives us flexibility come draft time. It doesn't guarantee he'll be on the roster when the season starts. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

He did make a few splash plays last year and provides that speed element. It will all depend on the money. I don't hate it if it gives us flexibility come draft time. It doesn't guarantee he'll be on the roster when the season starts. 

I just don't feel like this should have been a priority on day two of FA when we've added nothing defensively. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

I just don't feel like this should have been a priority on day two of FA when we've added nothing defensively. 

Maybe they're just knocking out the easy stuff first. Raymond had a cap hit of $987k last year. Spotrac has a market value of $2.9M. If they bring him back for say $1.2M... it's a low end deal, addresses WR depth. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, that makes no sense to me.  He is not a 5M a year WR.  he should be making league minimum.  I dont think he would have got an offer from anyone else.  

Even if he had offers, I'd let him walk for that. That's twice as much as we gave Josh Reynolds. No reason for this move. Or Anzalone. Or Tim Boyle. I understand Lions trying to keep their guys, but GD...

• Like 1

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Even if he had offers, I'd let him walk for that. That's twice as much as we gave Josh Reynolds. No reason for this move. Or Anzalone. Or Tim Boyle. I understand Lions trying to keep their guys, but GD...

Agreed, the money spent on those guys and Walker could have netted us Marcus Williams, which would put us in a better situation to compete.  I would have signed Anzalone and Ratliff to minimum deals.  Reynolds probably about half of what he signed for. 

Brad Holmes out here re-signing guys like he's trying to keep his reigning Superbowl roster together. 

I like the Chark deal. I like the Reynolds re-signing. I like keeping Evan Brown, Riley Patterson, Jack Fox, etc. but throwing money at the likes of Anzalone, Boyles and Raymond while doing nothing to improve the roster is baffling. 

Edited by Louis Friend

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

Brad Holmes out here re-signing guys like he's trying to keep his reigning Superbowl roster together. 

I like the Chark deal. I like the Reynolds re-signing. I like keeping Evan Brown, Riley Patterson, Jack Fox, etc. but throwing money at the likes of Anzalone, Boyles and Raymond while doing nothing to improve the roster is baffling. 

To be fair, we were a much better team later in the year.  Our WR situation improved greatly right now from where it was at the beginning of last year.  I understand not getting caught up in the excitement of big contracts and ruining cap situations for years to come like Jacksonville is doing.  I am sure he has been involved in discussions, and plenty of guys are being cut and will get cut in the future that I am sure Holmes is reaching out to.  Its annoying, given what we all wanted to happen but we have to understand it is still hard to get guys to want to come to Detroit and have to prove more in the development and win columns before we become the destination.  It sucks, but I can't say many of these deals other than Williams would be offers I feel like we should make. 

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, we were a much better team later in the year.  Our WR situation improved greatly right now from where it was at the beginning of last year.  I understand not getting caught up in the excitement of big contracts and ruining cap situations for years to come like Jacksonville is doing.  I am sure he has been involved in discussions, and plenty of guys are being cut and will get cut in the future that I am sure Holmes is reaching out to.  Its annoying, given what we all wanted to happen but we have to understand it is still hard to get guys to want to come to Detroit and have to prove more in the development and win columns before we become the destination.  It sucks, but I can't say many of these deals other than Williams would be offers I feel like we should make. 

I agree with not overpaying for free agents. I just wish Brad agreed with not overpaying his own free agents. You want to keep cap space for cuts, awesome, don't waste money re-signing guys like Anzalone, Boyle and Raymond. They did not need to be moves on day 1 and 2 of free agency. That's at least $6-10Million in capspace this season that we ate up instead of using it to improve our defense. 

• Like 1

This is a lot. This seems stupid. He's what, our fifth receiver if he's healthy? And that's before we draft anyone? 

I get it, he's good on special teams and is probably a leader. But this seems foolish unless a lot of it is in incentives.