LA Rams Draft Thread

MDY10

57 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I generally agree with this. His injury didn't help the situation. OBJ coming on the way he did, didnt help the situation.

We field calls for Woods last draft season and didn't get what we wanted in return so the writing was on the wall.

I was just kidding on this. OBJ imo is what did Woods time in with us. I feel like there's a decent shot Tutu doesn't even make the roster next year. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I was just kidding on this. OBJ imo is what did Woods time in with us. I feel like there's a decent shot Tutu doesn't even make the roster next year. 

I almost countered with Ben Skowronek, but Woods was a likely candidate to be off the team starting with last season.

Feel like OBJ's injury left the door open again for Woods to stay, but Allen Robinson was just too good of a talent to pass up.

• Like 2

I'm still affraid of the OL. Last year we had a decent OL but they couldn't open a running lane. 

Now this OL is a little bit weaker than last year, no reinforcement in the offseason. I don't know if they are planning to draft a OL this year....

On 4/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, BStanRamFan said:

I also pay close attention to the volume in position groups. It shows us what our focus is (obviously), but also is telling who we won't be resigning to a longer term deal since they draft 1-2 years ahead of schedule.

Robert Rochelle---->Darious Williams gone 

Bobby Brown/Earnest Brown---> SJD gone

It can, but I don't necessarily think the correlation is an immediate last-year-to-present-year one.  I'd need to go back and look, but to me recollection it's more of a covering the bases of the impending free agents for the year they're going into (ie those going to be in contract years), but that doesn't necessarily mean they're anticipating letting those pending FA's go; but it's Les, and Les has been nothing if not trying to get leverage wherever possible and synthesize flexibility wherever possible.

With that in mind:

- Long is a FA in 2023, so that coupled with Williams' departure points to use drafting a CB somewhere this year.

- Havenstein and Evans are FA's next year, so it would be shocking to see both retain, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them grab at least a Day 3 OT; and moreso it spells to me that they'll want to not go into camp with a question mark as to who is slotting in at RG for the next 2 seasons to synthesize as much stability, year-to-year, as possible.

- A'Shawn is a 2023 FA as well, and he has shown out, but I don't anticipate us being in any hurry to pay market-rate for him.  I don't see Bobby Brown being as much a SJD replacement from last year, because has SJD not gotten injured he'd have still maintained a very healthy share of the reps, but Gaines stepped up and he was the one that made SJD expendable.  If the value is there or if we see a toolsy prospect (not that this draft is all that great for them at the position - but there are a couple interesting Day 3 flier types) who is almost certainly a year away, I can definitely see that being an avenue explored.  Iowa State's Enyi Uwazurike is one I'd keep tabs on thereabouts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

It can, but I don't necessarily think the correlation is an immediate last-year-to-present-year one.  I'd need to go back and look, but to me recollection it's more of a covering the bases of the impending free agents for the year they're going into (ie those going to be in contract years), but that doesn't necessarily mean they're anticipating letting those pending FA's go; but it's Les, and Les has been nothing if not trying to get leverage wherever possible and synthesize flexibility wherever possible.

With that in mind:

- Long is a FA in 2023, so that coupled with Williams' departure points to use drafting a CB somewhere this year.

- Havenstein and Evans are FA's next year, so it would be shocking to see both retain, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them grab at least a Day 3 OT; and moreso it spells to me that they'll want to not go into camp with a question mark as to who is slotting in at RG for the next 2 seasons to synthesize as much stability, year-to-year, as possible.

- A'Shawn is a 2023 FA as well, and he has shown out, but I don't anticipate us being in any hurry to pay market-rate for him.  I don't see Bobby Brown being as much a SJD replacement from last year, because has SJD not gotten injured he'd have still maintained a very healthy share of the reps, but Gaines stepped up and he was the one that made SJD expendable.  If the value is there or if we see a toolsy prospect (not that this draft is all that great for them at the position - but there are a couple interesting Day 3 flier types) who is almost certainly a year away, I can definitely see that being an avenue explored.  Iowa State's Enyi Uwazurike is one I'd keep tabs on thereabouts.

In summation:

CB, OT, DL

Can never go wrong taking these positions with a higher frequency tbh

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 11:34 AM, NVRamsFan said:

Dane Brugler has his 7 round mock up at the Arhletic. Pretty good work but no happy he doesn’t have us taking a corner. He does have us taking and idl and a de not sure I get that either. 

I get it.  Not that I think or agree with what is likely Dane's reasoning, but I get why we'd invest picks there.  The no CB thing, I believe, is a case of Dane - from what I've seen in the past - isn't the sort that's going to look at a team with a need/semi-need at a premium position and tab a 4th round - or later - prospect to just jump right in and do the duty.  He knows that most mildly competent teams will likely look to fill that starting spot post-draft with a journeyman vet on a short-term contract and punt the long-term solution at the position to the next year, which is generally what happens.

24 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Those TWO ACL tears scare the hell out of me. We’ve already got two backs with durability issues—I’d like to get a sturdier back, ideally also someone who’s more of a complement to our current ones. 

Generally, I agree with that. Hendo is out after next year.

Cook has the potential to be special. Paired with Akers for 2 years and I think we could have a ridiculous RB duo. Would Cook likely cost us our first pick?

Wouldn't shocked me. Cornerstones are in place in defense at each level so we fill in with lesser talent. Is a rookie Olinemen from the draft going to come in and start on a Superbowl winner? No. 

WR is locked up.

I could see Cook being the pick as far as first year potential impact goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Those TWO ACL tears scare the hell out of me. We’ve already got two backs with durability issues—I’d like to get a sturdier back, ideally also someone who’s more of a complement to our current ones. 

Yeah Hendo will be gone after this year like BStan says and he'll be a rotation guy. I like the upside and the gamble.

• Like 1

Everyone knows the guys we meet with predraft have a higher probability of getting drafted. Seems to be our style, so I wanted to throw out some names I've read that we've been in touch with.

USC WR KD Nixon 

Georgia State TE Roger Carter

Nevada P Julian Diaz

SD State P Matt Araiza

North Dakota OT Matt Waletzko

Virginia Tech OG Lecitus Smith

UCLA OG Sean Rhyan

Georgia RB James Cook

Arkansas WR Treylon Burks (not happening)

https://ramblinfan.com/2022/04/21/lets-meet-up-la-rams-pre-draft-meetings-tracker/4/

• Like 3