LA Rams Draft Thread

MDY10

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

This is literally what I am saying lol. TE is not a major position of need for 2022 and I think it's in play for one of our early picks despite that. We've historically drafted skill position early and have targeted TEs in the 2-4 round range. 

And TE isn't a "major position of need," but at the same time it's a position that could still see some significant utility early on.

1) We're undergoing flux on the OL again.
2) This is the first season under McVay that we'll play without Woods in the WR corps.
3) Even if we assume OBJ does re-sign and we're just waiting until after the draft to execute the deal for practical purposes, which is very plausible, Odell won't be flying on all cylinders until the 2nd 1/3 of the season and will, almost assuredly, not be able to participate fully in the preseason and camp.

What this all stands potential to point towards is less 11-personnel on the whole and the most obvious adaptation would be to implement more 2-TE sets, because it's a staple of our offense that the WR's block, so in a similar way to how the defense operates, just because we're lined up in a 2-TE set, opposing defenses aren't going to be able to get a read on who is blocking and who is going out on a route, at least pre-snap, on a give play... thus making us much less predictable, which I know something McVay has strived for.

And if you're going to run 2-TE bases on the regular, you ought to be at least 3-deep with startable (not necessarily outstanding, but guy whom are baseline capable of starting and not "developmental" or one-dimensional types) TE's, preferably 4.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Yeah, by and large what we've seen since the initial success under McVay (i.e. basically since the offseason following the first Super Bowl appearance), this front office "plugs" needs with trades and free agent signings (many of them post-draft signings so that the comp formula isn't affected) and uses the draft to add value to the roster, speculate on guys that they feel could (loosely put) "improve the roster" and to prepare/lay contingency plans for future immediate free agents.  We're not a need-based drafting team.

Exactly they address guys they know they have no plans to resign a year ahead of their free agency. Case in point Treymane Anchrum drafted last year in the 7th round knowing we wouldn't keep one of Corbett or Allen the other could play center and Anchrum will be given every chance to to win the RG spot.

I did a mock on another site here's what I took

3) James Cook RB Georgia

4) Isaiah Thomas Edge Oklahoma

5) Spencer Burford T/G UTSA

6) Derreck Deese Jr TE SJ St

6) Cobie Durant CB South Carolina St

6) Chris Paul G/T Tulsa

7) Bubba Bolden S Miami

7) Zyon Gilbert CB FAU

I also think Julian Diaz P Nevada is a strong possibility to be drafted if not he's a priority UDFA. I'm not a huge fan of Deese but he seems like the kind of backup TE McVay likes. Also think we sign one of the former Bronco CB after the comp formula cut off date.

Edited by NVRamsFan

49 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I did a mock on another site here's what I took

3) James Cook RB Georgia

4) Isaiah Thomas Edge Oklahoma

5) Spencer Burford T/G UTSA

6) Derreck Deese Jr TE SJ St

6) Cobie Durant CB South Carolina St

6) Chris Paul G/T Tulsa

7) Bubba Bolden S Miami

7) Zyon Gilbert CB FAU

I also think Julian Diaz P Nevada is a strong possibility to be drafted if not he's a priority UDFA. I'm not a huge fan of Deese but he seems like the kind of backup TE McVay likes. Also think we sign one of the former Bronco CB after the comp formula cut off date.

I went a similar route.  Made a trade back from 104 to 121 with the Chiefs for their 7th (233) and Miami's 2023 4RP.

Ended up with:

4 (121): James Mitchell TE VaTech
- Yeah, he's coming off an ACL tear, but that's managed to get him pretty slept on.  YAC-type H-Back who has actually played some wildcat QB (tell me this won't appeal to McVay).

4 (142): Pierre Strong RB South Dakota State
- I've been on the Strong bandwagon for a while because he has traits that translate exceedingly well to (and tend to get consistently drafted by) Shanahan/McVay styled offenses.  Kind of reminds me of Tevin Coleman - except Atlanta Tevin Coleman, before he seemed to stop caring.

5 (175): Joshua Williams CB Fayatteville State
 - Toolsy corner with good instincts and some stuff he clearly needs to clean up.  A bit reminiscent of Rochell, though I think his ceiling is more in the CB2 range.

6 (211): Zach Thomas G San Diego State
 - Experience at 4 different line positions, including LT.  Reminiscent of David Edwards.  The tools are there, he has some stuff in terms of placement he needs to iron out.  Literally, every criticism I have of him is correctable and he's already been working with Duke Manyweather in the offseason.

6 (212): Leon O'Neal Jr S Texas A&M
 - A can-do-all safety, at his best when he's able to read the QB's eyes.  Needs a bit of a cushion when he's charged with playing centerfield, but that's tended to be the case with most of the safeties we draft late and hit on.

6 (218): Verdarian Lowe T Illinois
 - Y'all know how I feel about Lowe.  He's fantastic in pass-pro, needs his work in the run-game, which is translatable to early backup work and also balances nicely with what we already have on the roster.  Really mature guy.  I'd move him to RT and apprentice him as potentially someone that gives us a safety net should Havenstein price himself out of what we're willing to renew him for.  Guy is coming out of Bielema's offense and system, which is where we got both Edwards and Havenstein to begin with.

7 (233): Jack Sanborn LB Wisconsin
 - Bit of value, bit of utility.  He's a 4-3 Mike or Will, that doesn't have an outstanding ceiling, but the dude's floor is solid as they come (typical Wisconsin LB).

7 (238): Ryan Stonehouse P Colorado St
 - This could just as well be Julian Diaz but he wasn't an option to pick (not on the server's draft pool).  Stonehouse has a cannon of a leg, reminds me of Mike Scifres.

7 (253): Brad Hawkins DB Michigan
 - Hawkins is a utility DB that makes clear contributions on ST, can provide depth at safety, and I think can even play some nickel-back if called on.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:44 PM, Dr LBC said:

One injury doesn't not "durability issues" make.  Henderson has, in the past, had some issues with niggling injuries, but I still wouldn't call him injury-prone.  Akers has had one injury of note that caused him to miss any games, the Achilles injury, his combined college and pro careers so far.  I'm not saying I love the idea of a guy having had multiple ACL tears at such a young age, because I just keep remembering Danario Alexander.  But it's a contact sport.  Players are going to get injured and there are no perfect prospects who give you assurances they aren't ever going to get injured.

Akers also missed several games to injury his rookie year. My point is whatever guy is brought in as the third guy should be someone you can rely on health wise. Not sure if I could say that about either of them or Cook at this moment in time. 

This is a guy I want us to take in the 5th.

Isaih Pacheco RB-Rutgers.

5'11 216lbs. Fastest 40 time at the combine for RB's (4.37). Favors a zone block scheme and played against Big 10 talent. Has break away speed and the biggest knock on him is patience. Doesn't wait for holes to open or blocking to set up, buts that really a patience thing that can be taught. He's the guy I want paired with Akers. Akers pass catching would get him on the field more, but early down back, I like Pacheco. And he has the potential to be an every down back if we do see injuries to Akers and Hendo like we have. 

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 3

I just made this mock on thedraftnetwork.com. I love it. If we come away with 50% of this I'd be thrilled.

Los Angeles Rams
Dominique Robinson
EDGE, Miami (OH)

Los Angeles Rams
Luke Fortner
IOL, Kentucky

Los Angeles Rams
Zyon McCollum
CB, Sam Houston State

Los Angeles Rams
Peyton Hendershot
TE, Indiana

Los Angeles Rams
Smoke Monday
S, Auburn

Los Angeles Rams
Sincere McCormick
RB, UTSA

Los Angeles Rams
Bubba Bolden
S, Miami

Los Angeles Rams
Alec Lindstrom
IOL, Boston College

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I just made this mock on thedraftnetwork.com. I love it. If we come away with 50% of this I'd be thrilled.

Los Angeles Rams
Dominique Robinson
EDGE, Miami (OH)

Los Angeles Rams
Luke Fortner
IOL, Kentucky

Los Angeles Rams
Zyon McCollum
CB, Sam Houston State

Los Angeles Rams
Peyton Hendershot
TE, Indiana

Los Angeles Rams
Smoke Monday
S, Auburn

Los Angeles Rams
Sincere McCormick
RB, UTSA

Los Angeles Rams
Bubba Bolden
S, Miami

Los Angeles Rams
Alec Lindstrom
IOL, Boston College

Big fan of these first three picks

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Los Angeles Rams
Dominique Robinson
EDGE, Miami (OH)

Los Angeles Rams
Luke Fortner
IOL, Kentucky

Los Angeles Rams
Zyon McCollum
CB, Sam Houston State

Los Angeles Rams
Peyton Hendershot
TE, Indiana

Los Angeles Rams
Smoke Monday
S, Auburn

Los Angeles Rams
Sincere McCormick
RB, UTSA

Los Angeles Rams
Bubba Bolden
S, Miami

Los Angeles Rams
Alec Lindstrom
IOL, Boston College

I haven't followed prospects this year other than watching CFB, but this hits on every position I want covered.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:33 AM, BStanRamFan said:

This is a guy I want us to take in the 5th.

Isaih Pacheco RB-Rutgers.

5'11 216lbs. Fastest 40 time at the combine for RB's (4.37). Favors a zone block scheme and played against Big 10 talent. Has break away speed and the biggest knock on him is patience. Doesn't wait for holes to open or blocking to set up, buts that really a patience thing that can be taught. He's the guy I want paired with Akers. Akers pass catching would get him on the field more, but early down back, I like Pacheco. And he has the potential to be an every down back if we do see injuries to Akers and Hendo like we have. 

Man, hadn't seen much of this dude but color me impressed. I wouldn't be unhappy with him being taken to fill our Michel role.  He has more wiggle and speed then Michel and is 216.

• Like 2