Roy Halladay dies in plane crash in Gulf of Mexico

Tyronnosaurus

9 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

“Was it Dale Earnhardt who died? The race car driver who died? I root for the wall. I really do. That ain’t no tragedy … I’m supposed to feel bad for you? Give me a break."

This is actually a comment that super bugged me. I mean, kids die every year playing high school football. They don't have to play football, and we all know that it's dangerous....the parallel between the two isn't that big of a leap. Should those kids die because they wanted to play football? 

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yes, you can knock that opinion, very easily, because saying someone deserved to die is a morally and ethically repugnant thing to say.

You can. I won't. If I have a great family, passions like coaching my sons' baseball teams, overall happiness, and fortunes from an amazing career, I'm not f'ing around in a toy plane I don't know how to use. Sorry.

This is actually a comment that super bugged me. I mean, kids die every year playing high school football. They don't have to play football, and we all know that it's dangerous....the parallel from saying one to the other isn't that big of a leap. Should those kids die because they wanted to play football? 

Kids playing sports ≠ 40 year old men flying prototypical recreational aircrafts like they're playing a virtual reality war game. So yes, huge leap.

20 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

Sympathy for Halladay? No. The way he was operating that aircraft, he was begging for a catastrophe. His wife was apparently begging him to not buy the plane, which arrived Monday. Then he goes out and risks his life (and loses) by flying the plane like a complete moron just for a thrill. Watch the video and tell me this is a tragedy. A tragedy is what happened to Nick Adenhart. Not this.

He didn't deserve to die, but when you beg to die with this behavior, it's not in the tragedy category. I just can't mourn this the same way I would have if he died of something unpreventable. Halladay was an incredible pitcher. I loved watching him work, even when he was carving up my team. I was floored when I first saw the news, because of that and because I knew he was held in very high regard among the players. After seeing how his death was completely preventable, I just can't call this a tragedy.

But Felger's the bad guy for calling Halladay out for his stupid behavior.

No dislike button on this website so take this.

NoFootball_zps666ebb7b.jpg

1 minute ago, playmaker8267 said:

You can. I won't. If I have a great family, passions like coaching my sons' baseball teams, overall happiness, and fortunes from an amazing career, I'm not f'ing around in a toy plane I don't know how to use. Sorry.

Kids playing sports ≠ 40 year old men flying prototypical recreational aircrafts like they're playing a virtual reality war game. So yes, huge leap.

So he deserved to die? Yes or no? Either you agree or don't, there's no "well I accept that some people feel that way" in that position. Either you think he DESERVED to die, or you don't. There's no ambiguity.

Just now, playmaker8267 said:

Not at all. Why doesn't it equal out? They are both doing something that could potentially result in death or some sort of harm. They are both recreational hobbies. It's not a big leap at all. 

6 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

Sympathy for Halladay? No. The way he was operating that aircraft, he was begging for a catastrophe. His wife was apparently begging him to not buy the plane, which arrived Monday. Then he goes out and risks his life (and loses) by flying the plane like a complete moron just for a thrill. Watch the video and tell me this is a tragedy. A tragedy is what happened to Nick Adenhart. Not this.

He didn't deserve to die, but when you beg to die with this behavior, it's not in the tragedy category. I just can't mourn this the same way I would have if he died of something unpreventable. Halladay was an incredible pitcher. I loved watching him work, even when he was carving up my team. I was floored when I first saw the news, because of that and because I knew he was held in very high regard among the players. After seeing how his death was completely preventable, I just can't call this a tragedy.

But Felger's the bad guy for calling Halladay out for his stupid behavior.

Bad take imo. 

That aircraft is designed and marketed specifically to be flown at extremely low altitudes and Halladay is not the first person it has killed in the past year.  I don't know enough to say whether Doc was misusing the aircraft but neither does Felger.  Its very possible he was flying it appropriately, or at least in line with what he was told was appropriate, but with a very low margin for error and made a mistake.  Or maybe there was some kind of mechanical failure.  Let's wait for more information before we disparage him.  

General aviation is inherently dangerous.  Its also a very rewarding hobby.  Are we going to stop having sympathy for guys who die climbing mountains or sky diving because those are dangerous too?  Not really appropriate to publicly make fun of a dead 40 year husband and father just because he died doing something that was risky. 

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Bad take imo. 

That aircraft is designed and marketed specifically to be flown at extremely low altitudes and Halladay is not the first person it has killed in the past year.  I don't know enough to say whether Doc was misusing the aircraft but neither does Felger.  Its very possible he was flying it appropriately, or at least in line with what he was told was appropriate, but with a very low margin for error and made a mistake.  Or maybe there was some kind of mechanical failure.  Let's wait for more information before we disparage him.  

General aviation is inherently dangerous.  Its also a very rewarding hobby.  Are we going to stop having sympathy for guys who die climbing mountains or sky diving because those are dangerous too?  Not really appropriate to publicly make fun of a dead 40 year husband and father just because he died doing something that was risky. 

If he dies in a race car attempting an overtake or something we 100% are not having this conversation.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Not at all. Why doesn't it equal out? They are both doing something that could potentially result in death or some sort of harm. They are both recreational hobbies. It's not a big leap at all. 

^

So he deserved to die? Yes or no? Either you agree or don't, there's no "well I accept that some people feel that way" in that position. Either you think he DESERVED to die, or you don't.

Already said no. I can only have an opinion if I swear to trash the other side? I don't play that game.

Just now, mission27 said:

Bad take imo. 

Yea we're talking about "fully prosecuting to the full extent of the law" and we don't even know if what he was doing is illegal.  I mean playmaker's response was just a copout to my question anyway.

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

Yea we're talking about "fully prosecuting to the full extent of the law" and we don't even know if what he was doing is illegal.  I mean playmaker's response was just a copout to my question anyway.

Watch

the

video

and tell me he was following the law. I'm not well versed in Floridian maritime law, but I'm pretty sure you can't fly 5 feet above the water. And even if you legally can, should you?

Archived