Roy Halladay dies in plane crash in Gulf of Mexico

Tyronnosaurus

Just now, playmaker8267 said:

Watch

the

video

and tell me he was following the law. I'm not well versed in Floridian maritime law, but I'm pretty sure you can't fly 5 feet above the water. And even if you legally can, should you?

The plane was marketed as amphibious was it not?

He has, by every reputable account, been talked about as a good man, with a good, charitable heart, who loved his family and loved the communities he played in.

That's a man that deserves to die because he engaged in a hobby that's dangerous, in a plane marketed to be used in the way he used it? Where we don't even know if he was actually responsible for the crash yet?

I have no idea how it was marketed and I don't need to. The plane was delivered to him on Monday and on Tuesday was divebombing straight into the water for a thrill. I'm not mourning that guy. I'm mourning the future hall of fame pitcher.

Yea we're talking about "fully prosecuting to the full extent of the law" and we don't even know if what he was doing is illegal.  I mean playmaker's response was just a copout to my question anyway.

I answered the question of whether he deserved to die already. I said no. Felger said yes. I won't blast him for that opinion because Halladay was operating that aircraft like a jackass who didn't care about his life or the people who relied on him.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

If you're not even sure whether he was breaking the law, then why were you all gung ho about prosecuting to the full extent of the law in my hypothetical?

In your hypothetical, Halladay is in court for reckless endangerment, which means he is being tried for breaking the law.

Use your eyeballs and tell me whether you think what Halladay was doing with that aircraft was 100% legal. In reality, it doesn't matter. He was asking to destroy himself and that plane.

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Who are you to say that Roy didn't care about his life or the people who relied on him?

I'm quite sure he cared a lot about his family. Just go through his timeline. It's clear. That's why he should never have flown that way. He risked his life for a thrill. He would've been an idiot had he survived, and he's an idiot in death. Just because you die doesn't mean everything you did while living was correct.

3 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

In your hypothetical, Halladay is in court for reckless endangerment, which means he is being tried for breaking the law.

Use your eyeballs and tell me whether you think what Halladay was doing with that aircraft was 100% legal. In reality, it doesn't matter. He was asking to destroy himself and that plane.

I guess I should clarify that this isn't a literal court case and more like a fictional court of peers thing. Whatever lol

Just now, playmaker8267 said:

I'm quite sure he cared a lot about his family. Just go through his timeline. It's clear. That's why he should never have flown that way. He risked his life for a thrill. He would've been an idiot had he survived, and he's an idiot in death. Just because you die doesn't mean everything you did while living was correct.

Okay well I wouldn't assume that anytime someone does something risky that they're simultaneously disregarding their familly and responsibilities.  Is he guilty of having a lot of hubris?  Sure, but IMO that's a lot different than being a selfish jerk who deserves to die.

I said he was selfish, which I stand by. Again, I never said he deserved to die.

When you, as an amateur pilot, fly your toy plane that recklessly and foolishly, you are in that moment prioritizing that thrill over everything else. If he were an active player and we found out he was flying his toy plane like that, we would have ripped him. Don't treat him differently because he bet his life and lost.

1 minute ago, playmaker8267 said:

mission, watch the video and tell me why I should feel bad for this guy. I'm gutted for his family, but not him.

I've seen the video.  My first reaction other than feeling sorry for him was something along the lines of 'I wish I had one of those' tbh.

Archived