Your Grade or General Thoughts on the Moves Made

DoleINGout

Even though it isn't really something we will see play out for a while, based on the moves made thus far I am actually happy with the Patriots ppan of execution. I think Shaq Mason could have been dealt for a fourth rounder instead of a fifth but it was a move that I felt needed to be done. Acquiring Mack Wilson for essentially a future cut in Chase Winovich is a net positive, especially since Mack Wilson is a better fit with greater potential. I think Mack Wilson ends up being a move a lot of fans look back on as a steal of sorts.

Not overpaying for an inflated value commodity in JC Jackson is a huge relief. Retaining the leadership of Matthew Slater, Devin McCourty, and even James White for one more year is fair enough. Nick Folk back on a two year deal is ideal and comforting as well.

So far, so good. We'll see how things develop...

So far? What are we, down a Mason, a KVN, a Winovich, a JC Jackson and up a Wilson? 

How could I forget...Signed LB Harvey Langi to a one-year contract extension.

I don't know what the plan is, so enlighten me? 

Obviously I won't judge it until it's finished, I assume some good FA talent is coming in eventually. Will have to pay through the nose for it, the way FA has gone so far

Grade at this time D   Here are things that bug me.

1. BB plan at this time I don't see one.
  2. Hearing the Pats are up against the cap!!!
  3. Trading Mason for only a 5th. Is it Jimmy G trade again !
  4.  Wynn moving to G, 5th year refuses. Should trade him if the case. His agent would go crazy!!!
  5.  No replacement at CB. He does too many times. OL, TE, WR
  6.  Sick and tired of bringing in or keeping old guys and retreads. Means you don't draft well or plan .
  7. Paying punter past their rookie contract. He drafts them, than do it. Use a 6th every 3rd year!!!!
  8. No offensive OC

Here the 3 things i like

1. Wilson he is the type of LB they should be drafting. Athletic, down Hill. He has the game of a 240LBS Linebacker. Plays bigger!! Also he looks like he has a little Rodney in him which we need big time. Nothing worse than seeing your LBs hand tackle.
  2. Signing Faulk.
  3. Signing White

ADDED   Just drove my son to airport.  He drove in, what a crap show. He hit the break and gun it all the way to the AP!!!!

Here's something for you young guys to remember. EVERY TIME you hit the break it cost you MONEY !!!!!!!!

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Not sure if this goes with the topic however

Here two things that pop in my head when Mason was traded.  OG options

Will Sherman  2021 draft choice

Justin Herron listed as OG when drafted.

https://nesn.com/2020/04/patriots-select-o-lineman-justin-herron-in-sixth-round-of-2020-nfl-draft/

Herron is an interesting thought, they seem to be high on him. If Wynn got traded I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted an OT and had Herron start the season at LT. Someone to keep an eye on is the guy who replaced Herron at Wake Forest in Zach Tom .. probably a 4th round pick. 

Regarding the offseason, I like the Winovich trade .. he wasn't playing here anyway. 

OL is a concern, they didn't get enough for Mason, CB is a concern, Edge is a concern, DL is a concern, WR is a concern ( I don't want Robinson) .. will be interesting to see what the plan is

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

they didn't get enough for Mason

I'm not a cap guy but the Browns are releasing their Center Tretter.  Maybe it's a lot harder to get a good trade for OL players.  Mason, maybe everyone over values him. It just me but I thought he was over paid.

In general,  I don't understand paying big money for guards. I also believe you should draft OL in every draft ,especially in the later rounds.  I hate when the Pats draft special team players. EX Cassh Maluia. Pick OL/DL/ Slot WR. You know that small guy that's 5'8'" and 160lbs... Britain Covey !

I think part of it could be that BB feels he can plug in a day 3 guy and do just fine at guard.. time will tell if that's the case. Mason was a 4th rounder i believe.. Andrews UDFA,etc. 

I feel like Yasir Durant played RT last year but they could move him in to G if they are high on him.. who knows. 

Trades in general haven't been getting what people believe the players to be worth. Collins from Dallas seems to be the next guy to be traded for nothing / released. 

Let me introduce the 21st pick in the 2022 draft 

Zion Johnson IOL  Boston College 6'3" 310 lbs

He's going to be a great player but I still question the position picked in the 1st RD with so many other bigger needs to fill.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zion-johnson/32004a4f-4878-9880-ba7d-3f2f57808705

SR  Bowl  highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU_6cJbt2M

Edited by m haynes

Not gonna happen, BB has seen he can get Guards on day 3. He wouldn't be crazy enough to spend 21 on a guard with so many other holes on the roster. 

The Mason trade only makes me more confident they trade out of the 1st entirely ( assuming no Jordan Davis) to try and get 5 picks in the top 100

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Not gonna happen, BB has seen he can get Guards on day 3. He wouldn't be crazy enough to spend 21 on a guard with so many other holes on the roster. 

The Mason trade only makes me more confident they trade out of the 1st entirely ( assuming no Jordan Davis) to try and get 5 picks in the top 100

Thought same thing but Mankin came up in twitter.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

haynes, you're using logic to make these picks. I reckon just put 20 prospects on a dart board, close your eyes, and throw.

Your right if feels like a dart game.  I have no idea where this is going Pats have so many holes and they just created another one, OL.  Logic goes out the window when it comes to BB and the draft.  We need TEs he doesn't take one, We need WRs, again doesn't take one.

I figure we are set with guards, he than trade our best OL- men and creates a need, Why?????  

Like I said your right, dart board is the way to go. 

IMO this is a pivotal year for BB, if he goes let say 7/10 this year.  Kraft has to look at this and scratch his head. You let JC leave no backup plan, sign old guys for 11.64,you trade your best OL-men, you spent billion and still no #1 WR, and you don't replace your OC, you keep ST coach, your son runs the Defense and they can't stop anyone and above all YOU HAVE MAC ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT AND GOING BACKWARDS!!!!!!

Watch the Pats will end winning 12 games !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What the heck was I thinking.