2018 Mock Off Season: 1st Draft

rdelaney89

Halfway through the season figured I'd throw together a mock offseason. A lot can change between now and March so I expect this to change. I'm gonna say we finish 7-9, last year that was good enough for the 10th or 11th pick so for the sake of ease I'll say we are picking 11th.

Cap: $62.8M

Cuts:

Mo Wilkerson (June 1st Cut), Buster Skrine, Matt Forte, Ben Ijalana

Cap: $93.6M

Resigned Players

ASJ - 3 years $30M - Cap Hit $10M - this makes him one of the top paid TEs in the league. He wants to sign with use since we gambled on him when he was down on his luck. 

Claiborne - 3 years $36M - Cap Hit $12M - nice contract for a guy that has been injured. We pay him but write in a clause about injury that allows us to be off the hook if he runs into serious issues.

Davis - 2 years $8M - Cap Hit $5M - has been a great contributor this season. Could possibly demand more in year 2 but I think this deal could get done.

Enunwa - 1 year $6M - Cap Hit $6M - we give him a prove it deal, Pryor signed for 1 year $7M and that was after a good season and no injury. We may not even need to go that high for Enunwa.

Ealy - 3 years $15M - Cap Hit $5M - he's played well for us and I think Leonard and him are a good duo moving forward. Hankins got 3 years $27M so maybe Ealy fetches more money but I think this is a fair deal.

Cap: $55.6M

Extension

Leonard Williams - 5 years $75M - Cap hit $12M - We lock up Williams a year early, increase his cap hit $6M to $12M in 2018 since we have the money. He'll be 29 at the end of this contract so it could allow him to cash in one more time before he theoretically could see any major drop off in his game. If my math is right by paying him $6M more this year his cap hits should be ~$14M per year on average. Was thinking next year was his 5th year, disregard this extension until 2019 off season.

Cap: $55.6M

assuming we save $10M for draft and 2018 in season moves we still have $39.6M to play with. That is going to be a nice sum considering other teams in theory need to resign their own talent as well. Assuming Ansah is tagged that leaves us with no true Pass Rusher in FA. 

Free Agency

Drew Brees - 2 years $50M - Cap hit $28M - 2nd year of the contract is basically a team option. We over pay to get him here to be the stop gap

Malcolm Butler - 4 years $50M - Cap hit $12.5M - Gilmore got 5 years $60M from the patriots so this is basically the same deal minus 1 year.

I really don't see many FA's out there that will drastically change the outlook of this team so QB will most likely be a target for us. I think the biggest thing for this offseason is securing and resigning our own talent.

Cap: $15.6M

Draft

1) Baker Mayfield - QB Oklahoma - I know a lot of people are going to complain about this move but I think we sit pat and try to keep all our picks. I don't think Darnold declares and I think Rosen and Jackson go before our pick. At this point in time he is a reach probably by a solid 20 picks but teams will over draft QBs. Deshaun Watson went 12th last year, I think teams may view college success a little differently this time around. I believe we would love to have him in round 2 but don't want to risk a team trading in front of us or having to give up draft picks to move back into round 1.

2a) Duke Ejiofor - EDGE Wake Forest - We need a pass rusher plain and simple.

2b) Billy Price - C Ohio State - With this addition we should have out OL set for the foreseeable future. We may take a look at OT as a backup/replacement for Beachum in case of injury later in the later rounds.

3) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - EDGE Oklahoma - We double dip at pass rusher much like last year with the safeties.

Then go BPA throughout the rest of the draft

I expect the hot button issues to be at the QB position with Brees and Mayfield. I think there is a good chance that Brees goes to the Vikings to play in a dome but you never know if having Morton could be the familiar face he's looking for in a new team. In the event that Brees signs elsewhere I think we resign McCown to be the Bridge QB for the rookie. I think we will have serious conversations about Cousins so it will depend where he signs but that would alter the 1st round where I'd then have us taking the BPA at Edge Rusher.

47 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Not a big fan of committing that type of money to Butler, rather spend that money on a Center and RB, would still Take Price in that Situation just as Carps future replacement 

Yea to be honest I could live without Butler but I wasn't really sure where else to go. Le'Veon Bell would be a fun addition although we may need to sign Cousins to attract him here long term. It may not even be a bad idea to overpay Bell to come here even if McCown is the vet QB because then we could roll more cap into next season and having a sound running game is going to be key in protecting whoever our young QB is.

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Butler would be fine, but then don't bring back Claiborne. Let's see what we have in Rashard Robinson, Roberts, Jones et al.

I'm OK with keeping Claiborne/going after 1 big-name CB in free agency.

I'm still concerned about potential injury with him, so that is where that thought came in.

13 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Dont want Brees AND i dont like giving Leonard Williams money early when his play has only been above average. No reason for it. 

Yea Brees for me is a toss up, I think McCown would be fine as a stop gap but I think we'd then have to trade up to secure our QB. I definitely screwed up on Williams, I was thinking this was his 4th year. Disregard that contract we still have his 5th year option for 2019.

I still see huge holes on the most important side of the ball in this offseason. I’ll state again... Brees I think stands close to no chance of even being a FA, never mind choosing the Jets as the team he wants to go to. We are not a win now team for a HOF QB. And that’s exactly what he will want. I also really dislike Mayfield. His attitude, the way he plays the game and I flat out think he’s a great college qb, but his skill set doesn’t transfer over to the nfl. Much like Manziel. Besides those 2 moves only C gets addressed. What’s about RB, WR, LT? With so much cap space and some quality picks, I don’t see this offseason making us any better long term. Yes Brees would help, but for what 1 or 2 years? I assume you’d think Mayfield would learn in those years. But like i stated... I don’t see talent there for the nfl. Only thing I see that’s similar with them is their height. Brees is a high character, football smart, leader. Mayfield is a cocky a hole.

I’m really indifferent on Mayfield at this point. I think he’s either going to be very good in this league or be just awful.

the league looks like it’s turning towards the semi mobile QBs. The ones who can escape the pocket and make a throw or pick up a few short yards with their feet if need be. Prescott and Watson are the prototype for this 

27 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m really indifferent on Mayfield at this point. I think he’s either going to be very good in this league or be just awful.

the league looks like it’s turning towards the semi mobile QBs. The ones who can escape the pocket and make a throw or pick up a few short yards with their feet if need be. Prescott and Watson are the prototype for this 

I think you are right, that is the question with these second tier QB's CAN THEY MAKE THE THROW?  We know Wilson & Dak can but what about all these other guys. All spring & summer all I heard about was Rosen, Darnold, & Jackson, now we are talking about some guy named Mayfield, because all the top QB's will be gone when we pick. All these meaningless games we have won are going to bit us in the butt draft time.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I think you are right, that is the question with these second tier QB's CAN THEY MAKE THE THROW?  We know Wilson & Dak can but what about all these other guys. All spring & summer all I heard about was Rosen, Darnold, & Jackson, now we are talking about some guy named Mayfield, because all the top QB's will be gone when we pick. All these meaningless games we have won are going to bit us in the butt draft time.

You need to watch some tape if you don't know who he is, guy has a chip on his shoulder and has delivered at every level

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I still see huge holes on the most important side of the ball in this offseason. I’ll state again... Brees I think stands close to no chance of even being a FA, never mind choosing the Jets as the team he wants to go to. We are not a win now team for a HOF QB. And that’s exactly what he will want. I also really dislike Mayfield. His attitude, the way he plays the game and I flat out think he’s a great college qb, but his skill set doesn’t transfer over to the nfl. Much like Manziel. Besides those 2 moves only C gets addressed. What’s about RB, WR, LT? With so much cap space and some quality picks, I don’t see this offseason making us any better long term. Yes Brees would help, but for what 1 or 2 years? I assume you’d think Mayfield would learn in those years. But like i stated... I don’t see talent there for the nfl. Only thing I see that’s similar with them is their height. Brees is a high character, football smart, leader. Mayfield is a cocky a hole.

Drew Brees is a FA and is counting $16M against the Saints cap for next season so unless you believe he wants to play for next to nothing he is either going to retire of he is going elsewhere. No way in hell do the Saints pay him $20M with $16M already against the cap before a new deal. I could see him going to the Vikings because he will be in a dome but I wouldn't count the Jets out of his sweepstakes if he has a connection to Morton. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/10/brees-cant-be-tagged-in-2018-no-this-isnt-2016/

Great article on Mayfield please do some research before comparing him to Manziel: https://www.ndtscouting.com/crabbs-debunking-many-myths-mayfield/amp/

I don't think RB or WR is a top 3 round need. We will benefit from a QB and Pass Rusher more than either of those positions. We haven't had an issue with scoring points this year. We've had trouble running the ball which I believe a center will solve (that was addressed). As for LT I completely agree I'd love to take a top tackle in the draft but Beachum has more then held his own so I see no problem with addressing this in round 4 and beyond. 

38 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Drew Brees is a FA and is counting $16M against the Saints cap for next season so unless you believe he wants to play for next to nothing he is either going to retire of he is going elsewhere. No way in hell do the Saints pay him $20M with $16M already against the cap before a new deal. I could see him going to the Vikings because he will be in a dome but I wouldn't count the Jets out of his sweepstakes if he has a connection to Morton. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/10/brees-cant-be-tagged-in-2018-no-this-isnt-2016/

Great article on Mayfield please do some research before comparing him to Manziel: https://www.ndtscouting.com/crabbs-debunking-many-myths-mayfield/amp/

I don't think RB or WR is a top 3 round need. We will benefit from a QB and Pass Rusher more than either of those positions. We haven't had an issue with scoring points this year. We've had trouble running the ball which I believe a center will solve (that was addressed). As for LT I completely agree I'd love to take a top tackle in the draft but Beachum has more then held his own so I see no problem with addressing this in round 4 and beyond. 

I’ll compare him to Manziel bc I’ve watched dozens of both their games. Living in Texas... OU and ATM games are on every week. I’ve had tons of friends who have gone to either university and watch these 2 schools weekly. I only say this bc most of you live outside of Texas and OU and ATM games aren’t on tv nearly as much, so I’d guarantee you everyone that’s a Jets fan on here hasn’t watched these 2 as much as I have. I don’t think Mayfield is the off the field character as Manziel. I just think his cockiness and attitude are horrible. He said himself just last week. That he’d hate him too if he played for any other school bc of his attitude. What does that tell you? And even from a talent perspective... he small, runs too much to create lanes and has had a huge luxury of a great run game to help him his whole career at OU. I just don’t think he is a starting QB in the nfl. If there is a chance if that... it’d have to take several years of learning with no playing time and a huge attitude change.

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’ll compare him to Manziel bc I’ve watched dozens of both their games. Living in Texas... OU and ATM games are on every week. I’ve had tons of friends who have gone to either university and watch these 2 schools weekly. I only say this bc most of you live outside of Texas and OU and ATM games aren’t on tv nearly as much, so I’d guarantee you everyone that’s a Jets fan on here hasn’t watched these 2 as much as I have. I don’t think Mayfield is the off the field character as Manziel. I just think his cockiness and attitude are horrible. He said himself just last week. That he’d hate him too if he played for any other school bc of his attitude. What does that tell you? And even from a talent perspective... he small, runs too much to create lanes and has had a huge luxury of a great run game to help him his whole career at OU. I just don’t think he is a starting QB in the nfl. If there is a chance if that... it’d have to take several years of learning with no playing time and a huge attitude change.

“If it was a different fan base, I would definitely say they wouldn’t like me and I don’t blame them. But at the same time, if I’m in the program I earn that respect from the people around it. That’s what matters to me. It doesn’t matter what’s on the outside.”

Mayfield Interview

"Usually, you’re either a gunslinger or you’re efficient. For some reason, this kid has married the two together in a way that is really unique.”

"When I watch his tape, you see back-foot throws that go 55, 60 yards in the air,” Klatt said, and he easily makes out-route passes to the wide side of the field. Mayfield can generate power on even those throws from awkward, unconventional positions."

“There’s not a better leader in college football than Baker Mayfield,” Oklahoma defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo said earlier this season. “And you can quote me on that. That guy, look, I’ll follow him anywhere.”

“They have the persona that can walk into a locker room and immediately get guys to follow them,” Klatt said. “That type of leadership is rare.”

How Teammates Feel About Mayfield

If his teammates love him and he commands their respect that is already head and shoulders about Manziel. I could care less how other teams feel about a player. 

51 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And regarding Brees. I absolutely think he’d take a 1yr/4mill deal to stay in NO before taking a 1yr/20mill deal here. 

There is no way on God's green earth that Brees would play anywhere for $4M. I'd agree he won't sign here for $20M because I think he'l get more money elsewhere. You are sidestepping your own argument "Brees I think stands close to no chance of even being a FA, never mind choosing the Jets as the team he wants to go to. We are not a win now team for a HOF QB." Yes Brees is going to be a FA or he will retire, I'd bet my signature on this. You must have boycott the NFL this season because the Jets could absolutely be 7-2 right now and in first place in the division. I can't tell if you are so pro McCown you actually think Brees wouldn't be an upgrade. I think the only reason Brees may not consider coming here is either

A) we don't offer him anything/not enough or

B) he doesn't want to play outdoors

Humor me for a minute and imagine he leaves NO, where would he think about going? Denver, doubt it why go there when you have to play the Chiefs and Raiders twice a year. Jaguars, I could see this but I think the Jags will work out a trade for Eli to reunited him with Coughlin as they groom a young QB. Washington, doubt he wants to go against Philly and Dallas to try and make the playoffs. I think he's going to have 2 teams he'll seriously consider outside of retiring: Jets, who have an OC who worked with Brees in NO or the Vikings who are in a dome.

Archived