Pre-draft tidbits

Louis Friend

12 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

So with the way this free agency is going, we will need a lot of defense in the draft. So on a scale of Matt Millen to 10, how upset would everyone be if Malik Willis was the #2 pick?

What's worse, 10 or Matt Millen? Whatever is worse times 100. 

As I understand it, Malik Willis improved quite a bit during Senior Bowl practices.  If the Lions think he will continue to improve and live up to his potential then they should go for it.  Having him sit for a year or do spot duty is perfectly fine with me.  That said, we have a ton of holes on defense and a serviceable QB.  I am not sure we are at the point where we should take that kind of risk.

20 hours ago, LionArkie said:

So with the way this free agency is going, we will need a lot of defense in the draft. So on a scale of Matt Millen to 10, how upset would everyone be if Malik Willis was the #2 pick?

Given the lack of change in free agency if they took a QB at 2 I would be Matt Millen on steroids to the 10th power mad.

Oh well, at least there is Stafford and the Rams.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be THAT mad about Willis. I don't think it's the pick that I would make, but if they truly believe that he's a franchise, top 10 type of QB in the future, then by all means pick him. Offensively I feel like we're actually in a pretty good position to support a young QB - very good offensive line and some very solid weapons, especially if we add a receiver in the draft. We also have Goff to play until a young guy is ready. The team wants to run the ball and is built to do so. Pressure is still fairly low on Campbell/Holmes, but it might start to heat up if they have another 3-win season next year. It all kind of adds up IF the prospect is there. 

The defense is a mess and needs a ton of work, so you probably don't win a ton of games this year with that strategy, but I would get it IF they're really confident in Willis. This is potentially a good place for him to develop in. We still have a bunch of picks next year and more cap space to work with. 

I just don't think that you can pass on a stud QB prospect if he's there. Is Willis that guy? Maybe not. You can never guarantee that you'll get one next year or the year after or whatever. 

Edited by Lions017

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I think Carolina, Seattle, Atlanta, NO needing QB's and Houston trading theirs away, teams could move before them at #3 to grab Willis if a team falls in love with him. That opens up trade opportunities for the Lions. 

They seem to like Mills but they could love Willis or Pickett or Corral. So there is potential for a move down. 

23 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

They seem to like Mills but they could love Willis or Pickett or Corral. So there is potential for a move down. 

Houston is almost assuredly going to run through Mills in 2022.  If Detroit passes on a QB, Carolina is probably up next at 6 followed by Seattle at 9.

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Feel bad for the guy. I wonder how far this will drop him now?

He tore his Achilles Tendon and they are saying it has a 9-month recovery minimum.  That means his whole rookie year would be spent in IR.  There is no way he gets draft in the first-round.  I could see a team with multiple second-round picks use one of them on him.  Philadelphia would be most likely.  Baltimore might be willing to exercise that kind of patience also.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

He tore his Achilles Tendon and they are saying it has a 9-month recovery minimum.  That means his whole rookie year would be spent in IR.  There is no way he gets draft in the first-round.  I could see a team with multiple second-round picks use one of them on him.  Philadelphia would be most likely.  Baltimore might be willing to exercise that kind of patience also.

I would sure take him in the second. I think he’s worth the patience.

42 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I didn’t notice your prospect rundowns. How do you see this years receiver class

Still working through them tbh.  It's a solid class, not quite as good as last year's but it's a really strong class in terms of depth.  Chris Olave is silky smooth, and he's probably going to be a really strong vet.  I'd imagine that Garrett Wilson will probably end up as WR1 when it comes down to it, but he needs some work.  He's still a bit rough around the edges.  You've got Treylon Burks and Drake London as your jumbo WRs if that's your mold.  Jameson Williams and George Pickens have some injury question marks, but both are Day 1 picks if they were completely healthy this year.  And there's enough interesting players into Day 2 with guys like Alec Pierce, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, etc.  If you took Ja'Marr Chase out of last year's class, it probably would look comparable.

• Like 1