Pre-draft tidbits

Louis Friend

I watched it. Didn't see much that doesn't show up on tape. He can make any throw. But I worry about pressure and competition. But man, this guy LOVES football. He has the love of the game I wish Kayvon Thibodeaux did. 

I think he goes top 8 in this draft. If teams fall in love, they might want to trade up for him. However, I do think he's in play for the Lions even though he's not one of my top 3 guys.

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I have a feeling that he's going to be the pick at 2. I don't like it and think it'd be a big mistake but it wouldn't shock me if that's the route we go. 

All I can say is that everything folks are saying about Malik Willis now sounds a lot like what they were saying about Josh Allen when he was drafted.  That stats have a pretty similar arc.  Heck, Joe Flacco played at Delaware and Tony Romo played at Eastern Illinois.  For Malik Willis, its all about his ability to handle the mental part of the game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/malik-willis-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I have a feeling that he's going to be the pick at 2. I don't like it and think it'd be a big mistake but it wouldn't shock me if that's the route we go. 

I think he's in the discussion as well. I think Hutch goes #1. Then you have EDGE Thibodeaux, S Hamilton and QB Willis. Lots of discussions will take place regarding position value and possible trade scenarios. I think Lions being interested in Willis could help possible trades. I think Atlanta, Seattle and Carolina are all in play. 

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think he's in the discussion as well. I think Hutch goes #1. Then you have EDGE Thibodeaux, S Hamilton and QB Willis. Lots of discussions will take place regarding position value and possible trade scenarios. I think Lions being interested in Willis could help possible trades. I think Atlanta, Seattle and Carolina are all in play. 

Atlanta and Seattle have more draft capital to work a trade.  Carolina doesn't have 2d or 3rd round picks this year. 8/9 is a little far to move down but the depth of the draft in our areas of need (Edge, WR) makes it a viable possibility.  Moving to 8/9 and getting Jermain Johnson or Trevon Walker would be awesome.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

All I can say is that everything folks are saying about Malik Willis now sounds a lot like what they were saying about Josh Allen when he was drafted.  That stats have a pretty similar arc.  Heck, Joe Flacco played at Delaware and Tony Romo played at Eastern Illinois.  For Malik Willis, its all about his ability to handle the mental part of the game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/malik-willis-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

It's not so much the player (although there's some stuff about him too) but about the situation. I feel that we should be looking at building up other parts of the roster and improving the overall talent level first. Once we're in a better spot, we can pick a guy and drop him into a much better situation. I would rather we did the opposite of what we did with Stafford. With Stafford, we were constantly trying to build different pieces around him and we could never get it right. We either didn't have a running game, or the OL struggled or our only WR was Calvin and a bunch of scrubs or the defense was suspect. Our OL is a strength of the team but we need weapons at WR, the defense still has a ton of holes. 

We have multiples 1sts this year and next. We have Goff signed through to 2024. If we take Willis at #2, we're getting the best QB of what has been determined to be a bad draft class. This is a part of the reason we're seeing all of these vet QB's get moved. Teams with a need at QB still want the veteran guy. Is Willis going to be better than Stroud or Young? What about the other guys who are projected to be coming out? 

He also might be getting comped to Josh Allen but he's not Josh Allen. He doesn't have Allen's sheer size. He's a smaller guy at 6'0, 219 vs 6'5, 237 lbs. We are seeing some smaller guys have success at the NFL level but having a guy with JA's measurements and those same tools is much more comfortable to me than a guy that's under 6'1. 

4 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Atlanta and Seattle have more draft capital to work a trade.  Carolina doesn't have 2d or 3rd round picks this year. 8/9 is a little far to move down but the depth of the draft in our areas of need (Edge, WR) makes it a viable possibility.  Moving to 8/9 and getting Jermain Johnson or Trevon Walker would be awesome.

I would love a trade with NYG or NYJ.  Their two firsts for our 2 firsts.  Its about even on the TVC and would help get us to the area in the draft where positions we need are valued.  Give me Walker/KT and Davis/Stingley instead of #2 and 32. It would help if one of these OTs really separated themselves from the others. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's not so much the player (although there's some stuff about him too) but about the situation. I feel that we should be looking at building up other parts of the roster and improving the overall talent level first. Once we're in a better spot, we can pick a guy and drop him into a much better situation. I would rather we did the opposite of what we did with Stafford. With Stafford, we were constantly trying to build different pieces around him and we could never get it right. We either didn't have a running game, or the OL struggled or our only WR was Calvin and a bunch of scrubs or the defense was suspect. Our OL is a strength of the team but we need weapons at WR, the defense still has a ton of holes. 

We have multiples 1sts this year and next. We have Goff signed through to 2024. If we take Willis at #2, we're getting the best QB of what has been determined to be a bad draft class. This is a part of the reason we're seeing all of these vet QB's get moved. Teams with a need at QB still want the veteran guy. Is Willis going to be better than Stroud or Young? What about the other guys who are projected to be coming out? 

He also might be getting comped to Josh Allen but he's not Josh Allen. He doesn't have Allen's sheer size. He's a smaller guy at 6'0, 219 vs 6'5, 237 lbs. We are seeing some smaller guys have success at the NFL level but having a guy with JA's measurements and those same tools is much more comfortable to me than a guy that's under 6'1. 

Willis is also a much better run threat at QB than Josh Allen. Defenses have to play for him on every down. That adds a dimension to the offense that bigger QBs just don't present. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I would love a trade with NYG or NYJ.  Their two firsts for our 2 firsts.  Its about even on the TVC and would help get us to the area in the draft where positions we need are valued.  Give me Walker/KT and Davis/Stingley instead of #2 and 32. It would help if one of these OTs really separated themselves from the others. 

Give me KT/London or Hamilton/London and I am happy. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Give me KT/London or Hamilton/London and I am happy. 

Not sure either of those are viable, and also with the depth of WR, I dont have London that much higher than WRs we can get at the top of Rd 2.  I wouldn't hate it, but would prefer to stud out the defense with 2 of KT, Hamilton, Walker, Stingley, and Davis or even Devin Lloyd and then worry about WR at 34 with Watson/Pickens/Burkes/Whichever of the other top WRs falls.