Pre-draft tidbits

Louis Friend

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would love a trade with NYG or NYJ.  Their two firsts for our 2 firsts.  Its about even on the TVC and would help get us to the area in the draft where positions we need are valued.  Give me Walker/KT and Davis/Stingley instead of #2 and 32. It would help if one of these OTs really separated themselves from the others. 

I can't think of a reason for either of those teams to give up any draft capital.  If they are smart, they will sit back and use those draft picks to take the BPA.

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Not sure either of those are viable, and also with the depth of WR, I dont have London that much higher than WRs we can get at the top of Rd 2.  I wouldn't hate it, but would prefer to stud out the defense with Walker and Davis or even Devin Lloyd and then worry about WR at 34 with Watson/Pickens/Burkes/Whichever of the other top WRs falls. 

Eh, Walker and Davis are not top ten for me. I know they've moved up peoples boards after the combine, but my rankings have remained the same. Drake London has been my top WR prospect since day 1. 

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

I can't think of a reason for either of those teams to give up any draft capital.  If they are smart, they will sit back and use those draft picks to take the BPA.

Agreed, but thats why I said it would be great for an OL to separate as the top choice.  Or even if they fell in love with KT.  They would still have the same number of firsts, but would also have their top choice.  Its unlikely but is a dream scenario.  

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Willis is also a much better run threat at QB than Josh Allen. Defenses have to play for him on every down. That adds a dimension to the offense that bigger QBs just don't present. 

Willis didn't run the 40 at the combine or at his pro day. At 6'3 3/8, 211 lbs Ridder ran a 4.52. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Willis didn't run the 40 at the combine or at his pro day. At 6'3 3/8, 211 lbs Ridder ran a 4.52. 

I don't care if Ridder ran a 4.22, Willis is a run threat QB that none of the other guys are. Just because they can run doesn't make them run threats. Stafford could run, defenses weren't defending his run every play. 

36 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Ridder ran a 4.52, 36 inch vert, 127 inch broad jump. He's fast and explosive. I don't want a QB whose first reaction is to run. I want a QB that can be a legit run threat when things break down, which teams will have to account for. I saw Willis running more often than not during the Senior Bowl. He had some great runs but we're not running a wildcat offense. 

For reference, the fastest 40 by a QB since 2016 was Justin Fields at 4.45. Ridder is second at 4.52. 

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Ridder ran a 4.52, 36 inch vert, 127 inch broad jump. He's fast and explosive. I don't want a QB whose first reaction is to run. I want a QB that can be a legit run threat when things break down, which teams will have to account for. I saw Willis running more often than not during the Senior Bowl. He had some great runs but we're not running a wildcat offense. 

For reference, the fastest 40 by a QB since 2016 was Justin Fields at 4.45. Ridder is second at 4.52. 

I don't care how fast guys run in a straight line. There is a difference between 40 times and mobility in game. And I don't care how the fastest QB is in a straight line. It was brought up that Willis is undersized at QB, which he really isn't. He doesn't have the size of other QBs but he has qualities and traits they don't. And I'm not even advocating for Willis @ #2. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

I don't care how fast guys run in a straight line. There is a difference between 40 times and mobility in game. And I don't care how the fastest QB is in a straight line. It was brought up that Willis is undersized at QB, which he really isn't. He doesn't have the size of other QBs but he has qualities and traits they don't. And I'm not even advocating for Willis @ #2. 

How is a guy that's just over 6 feet not undersized? Have there been guys who have succeeded that fell under that mark? Sure. It doesn't mean it's ideal. 

The only QB's who are smaller (since 2016) are Kyler and Tua. His BMI is similar to Tua though as both guys are above average. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

How is a guy that's just over 6 feet not undersized? Have there been guys who have succeeded that fell under that mark? Sure. It doesn't mean it's ideal. 

The only QB's who are smaller (since 2016) are Kyler and Tua. His BMI is similar to Tua though as both guys are above average. 

Are we really discussing BMI's of professional athletes? 😂

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You're saying "he's not small" despite being one of the shortest QB's to come out in the past 6 years. The fact that he's 219 vs 205 is a positive for him. 

I think Desmond Ridder is a much better prospect than folks are generally saying.  If he makes it to 32 he should be there for us at 34.  Fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I think Desmond Ridder is a much better prospect than folks are generally saying.  If he makes it to 32 he should be there for us at 34.  Fingers crossed.

I'd take him at 32 for that 5th year option if a) we like him at #34 and b) he's available. 

Zach Wilson, taken at #2 overall, had a year 1 cap hit of $6.4M. Jordan Love, taken at 21 had around $2.3M. You're going to save about $4M in year 1 alone.

There's not a ton of money that you'd get tied up there and it wouldn't stop us from drafting another QB next year if we like Stroud or Young or [insert fave guy here]. At worst, you should have a solid back up. At best, we'd have a QBOTF on a killer rookie deal that would allow us to spend FA money at other positions for the next 4+ years. 

I'd rather the Lions punted on QB until next year but if they're looking to bring someone in this year, I'd much prefer it be at #32 as opposed to #2. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

After seeing the trades of Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill go down, it looks like there will be run on WRs between picks 20 and 30.  That isn't great news for the Lions.  Ugh.

Feel the same way. Suddenly a deep WR pool might not be as deep if 6-8 WRs get taken in round 1. Especially since I don't want any small receivers until late.