Za'Darius Smith... Is Not Signing with Baltimore

coordinator0

1 hour ago, bmorecareful said:

Great pickup im excited as hell about it… But quick question… I wonder if Eddie Goldman is still coming in for a visit… At 28 he can be a long term solution at DT/NT for us… This has been probably the most exciting free agent period in ravens history… Honestly I didn’t expect much after the Williams signing… especially didn’t see much happening after the Moses signing.. Now ZDS… Man… it almost seems unreal… But I’m no longer doubting what’s next… We are officially players in this offseason… And I’m enjoying the ride… 

He'll still come in, he's an underrated guy and can really push the pocket. I've read (only speculation) that Pierce is open to a reunion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Boodgyman5220 said:

Do they? Maybe in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 I feel like they play similar inside outside rush positions. Not saying there isn’t a world where they coexist, I just feel like this signing makes Campbell less likely

No matter what Campbell is still a base 5T in our defense. That's not a role ZDS will ever take on. 

If anything I think the team would view their shared versatility as a potential asset. Just comes down to if Campbell wants to come back and at the right price. I hope he does. 

In general I think you're right to be less confident about us resigning Calais though. He said he's comfortable with us and likes Baltimore but IDK. Seems like he might decide to finish up his career elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Do they? Maybe in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 I feel like they play similar inside outside rush positions. Not saying there isn’t a world where they coexist, I just feel like this signing makes Campbell less likely

Yes, they do. Smith is an EDGE for the most part that rushes from inside as a move piece rather than lining up in a set position. That's different from a guy like Campbell who's always going to be counted as one of the down lineman in a formation. Both share the field at the same time.

Also, this is great. As long as Bowser and Oweh come back from their surgeries ready to contribute this is going to be the best pass-rush group the team has had in a while. A lot of versatility and actual ability there. I think this opens things up for Madubuike to start getting those 1 vs. 1 matchups that should allow him to one-gap and really take a step forward. Get somebody competent in as the nose and go from there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

He'll still come in, he's an underrated guy and can really push the pocket. I've read (only speculation) that Pierce is open to a reunion. 

I’d rather have Goldman than pierce… Pierce is always outta shape and a year older… give Goldman a 3-4 year deal and keep it moving…  

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not anymore...

Guy saw Von and Chandler Jones' deal then wanted more.

Lol! I completely understand his perspective, but unlike those two, he's coming off a year in which he essentially missed the entire season because of back surgery. I don't think the deal he was offered was completely unreasonable. If he met all his incentives, he was only about $4M/year off of the Chandler deal. Hopefully they can still negotiate and meet somewhere in the middle, but if he seriously thinks he can get Chandler or Miller money, good luck to him.

• Like 1

That's the only thing it could be. Saw older pass rushers get more and resented the deal he agreed to. Certainly within his rights to do this, but it should effectively burn his bridge to Baltimore. Won't see anymore "Once a Raven, always a Raven" type posts from the fanbase, and the team is likely furious that they were jerked around during a key stretch of FA.

Was excited about adding him back but anytime you have to say "If he's healthy/If he can stay healthy", there's a clear element of risk involved with the player. We lose the player but also avoid said risk- If you're looking for any positives in this situation. 🤷‍♂️

Hope he gets his extra money from Detroit or something and rots in obscurity. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmorecareful said:

Fletcher Cox just got released I’d rather have him anyway… let’s use that money on him and Goldman and be set at DLine

Didn’t think about him honestly when I saw that. I heard he might go back to Philly still. But he would shore up Campbell’s spot. 

Then we allow Bowser & Oweh to continue growing. Add younger talent for depth