Za'Darius Smith... Is Not Signing with Baltimore

coordinator0

Re: All the Bowser talk i’ve seen the past few days, I think we really need to temper expectations for him as an opening day starter...he tore his achilles in January. It could be october/november until he’s back out there and november/december until he’s ramped up and making a legit impact again.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Re: All the Bowser talk i’ve seen the past few days, I think we really need to temper expectations for him as an opening day starter...he tore his achilles in January. It could be october/november until he’s back out there and november/december until he’s ramped up and making a legit impact again.

I could see bowser going on the PUP list and coming back close to the limit(week 10 I think?). An Achilles tear is not the death sentence it used to be, but I could see the team be patient with him after the Stanley fiasco. Odafe and ???? As edge players until he’s healthy?

• Like 1

Well this is not ideal. Might have been the media that jumped the gun rather than Smith backing out. Either way this puts EDGE firmly back on the radar as a top need. That with cornerback, defensive line, and offensive tackle (still up there in my mind). 

I'm thinking he eventually goes to Dallas.

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Is this the year we pull the trigger in Clowney? I hope not. I think when he plays, he's a decent force but he's so streaky. 

I wouldn't hate it at the right price. If we could get him at like ~24M / 4 years with 8-10 guaranteed (basically a 2-year deal with some performance incentives to potentially make it way more lucrative if he pops), he'd make a really good rush end opposite Oweh. He's seemed to be interested in going year-to-year, though - perhaps trying to position himself before a mega pay day before too late.

23 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I wouldn't hate it at the right price. If we could get him at like ~24M / 4 years with 8-10 guaranteed (basically a 2-year deal with some performance incentives to potentially make it way more lucrative if he pops), he'd make a really good rush end opposite Oweh. He's seemed to be interested in going year-to-year, though - perhaps trying to position himself before a mega pay day before too late.

Try double that 😅

On 3/16/2022 at 4:30 PM, coordinator0 said:

So Vikings upped our offer to an avg of 14 mill per. 3 years at 42 mill. I don’t blame Z for that. We never knew our deals finer details, but if he maxed out the value we were at 12.5 mill for 4 years. I bet our deal was a fluffy year 4 if i had to guess giving us wiggle room on cap structure and an easy out as the contract went on. 

Back to needing pass rush

Initial agreement issue aside, this ended up being a pretty standard FA situation. The lesser team and ball club has to pay more and the player who prioritizes money over winning, organizational strength, etc- will choose the highest bidder. 

CJ Mosley went to the Jets because they thankfully offered more money and Tony Jefferson choose us over the Browns even though we offered less money. Different players have different priorities. 

Interesting little saga though. 

• Like 1