Jets sign TE Tyler Conklin

Bianconero

New-York-adds-another-weapon-for-Zach-Wi

• Throughout the previous 10 years we've only had one TE record over 500 receiving yards (Chris Herndon, 2018, 502 receiving yards). 

• But now (all of a sudden) we're currently featuring two separate TE's who've got same type of receiving abilities. 

Tyler Conklin/C.J. Uzomah (2021) combined...

140 Targets.

78.5% Catch Rate Percentage.

110 Receptions. 

1,086 Receiving Yards. 

8 TDs. 

• Receiver Rating of 109.7.

Dalton Schultz, who?

Thank you Joe Douglas.

• Now it'll be pretty fun for us while watching Mike LaFleur Two TE Sets. 

And now I'm even looking forward to the draft even more (just knowing that TE is now looking really sharp). 

I originally wanted Edge/WR/O-Line/TE (Trey McBride). 

Now I want Edge/WR/O-Line/RB (Breece Hall).

From Playmaking TE to now Playmaking RB @ 38th overall (creating a Thunder/Lightning type of backfield featuring Breece Hall/Michael Carter as an elite RB duo).

(And if 2nd round RB is crazy talk let's go Safety or LB and/or even double dip @ either one of Edge or WR or attack CB; instead of TE).

Getting TE out of the way (x2) has now opened up a lot of 2nd round capabilities, tremendously.

• Like 1

This is a much better signing for a TE. I think he is on the rise. Tyler can do it all from blocking, catching and running routes. Then you add the fact he is only 26 years old. I do agree that we will probably see more 2 TE sets like everyone said. This is also a great plus because CJ will not last 17 games. Tyler should have no problem going 17 games. 

12 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Yeah that wipes out TE early in the draft, maybe a day 3 guy

Doubt even that with Yeboah on the team still.

I like this move. TEs are typically slow development players so this gives us a chance to grab a higher impact guy at CB rb or o line in that high two spot.

5 hours ago, Big T said:

I think its safe to say the Jets will pass on this TE class.

That's OK.  With luck, we will picking after 15 next year.  Perfect time to take Mike Mayer, TE, Notre Dame.  The kid is a stud.

• Like 2

Yeah I think we are going to play a lot more two TEs, or 1 TE and 1 FB, or 1 TE and 1 H-B, whatever. 

I think it lessens the need to go crazy looking for a WR. If we can land a talented guy in the second or third round, and maybe bring in one solid veteran, we should be OK.

14 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Yeah I think we are going to play a lot more two TEs, or 1 TE and 1 FB, or 1 TE and 1 H-B, whatever. 

I think it lessens the need to go crazy looking for a WR. If we can land a talented guy in the second or third round, and maybe bring in one solid veteran, we should be OK.

The offense wants to be able to disguise the run and pass and playing more heavy sets allows you to do so. 49ers and Rams run similar philosophies in the run game but in the passing game is where you see the difference particularly personnel wise. Shanahan likes his TEs, McVay loves 11 personnel.

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The offense wants to be able to disguise the run and pass and playing more heavy sets allows you to do so. 49ers and Rams run similar philosophies in the run game but in the passing game is where you see the difference particularly personnel wise. Shanahan likes his TEs, McVay loves 11 personnel.

I think a smart coaches plays to their strengths. If you have Kittle at TE you feature him. If you have Higbee at TE but have Kupp, AR15 and Woods… you feature your WRs. For me CJ and Conklin aren’t “great” TEs so we should still look to feature our WRs. They’re good enough to be useful. But surely don’t feature them.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think a smart coaches plays to their strengths. If you have Kittle at TE you feature him. If you have Higbee at TE but have Kupp, AR15 and Woods… you feature your WRs. For me CJ and Conklin aren’t “great” TEs so we should still look to feature our WRs. They’re good enough to be useful. But surely don’t feature them.

True, but even smarter coaches make adjustments if it ain't working.  LaFleur tried a lot 12 personnel for the first 5 or 6 games.  It wasn't working so he made a change.  I believe he will try more 12 personnel again and if it doesn't work, change.  It's easy to look back and say feature Kittle or Kupp.  I am certain that they did not draft those guys with the intention of featuring them considering they were 5th and 3rd round picks.  It just worked out that way.  LaFleur has some new toys that he will try to feature.  So don't get your hopes up that we will run a lot of 11 personnel especially early in the season.

28 minutes ago, xrade said:

True, but even smarter coaches make adjustments if it ain't working.  LaFleur tried a lot 12 personnel for the first 5 or 6 games.  It wasn't working so he made a change.  I believe he will try more 12 personnel again and if it doesn't work, change.  It's easy to look back and say feature Kittle or Kupp.  I am certain that they did not draft those guys with the intention of featuring them considering they were 5th and 3rd round picks.  It just worked out that way.  LaFleur has some new toys that he will try to feature.  So don't get your hopes up that we will run a lot of 11 personnel especially early in the season.

It also has to do with the defense you’re playing. If the team has bad CBs you want to attack them. If they have bad Ss you attack the middle of the field more.

The good thing we should for sure have now is a good run game with Carter. OL is a good group, so that should be our focus. But Wilson and the WRs have to be enough for teams to respect that for the run game to work.