Jets Sign DE Jacob Martin

Bobby816

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I’m happy JD isn’t trying to go toe-to-toe with the rest of the league. Build a team/support Zach first. If Zach isn’t the guy then we just wasted resources. If Zach shows significant improvement then next season we start making big moves. 

But then if we fast forward…we’ll probably need to replace Fant, CMG, Mosley?, Joyner, think about life after Lawson, do we sign Q to a big deal, etc. Is Becton on the field? Too many questions to be answered next season. Stay the course. 

Why not? Surely we should be trying everything imaginable to do just that? 

I hope we didnt waste a good free agency period to get ‘okay’ players through the door. That won’t move the needle. We need quality and I’m hopeful JD knows what he’s doing and if so I will more than happily say I’m wrong but for me I think whilst we have got better this FA (it would of been impossible not too!) we’ve not done enough to not get trampled on by the superior teams in our conference.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I hope we didnt waste a good free agency period to get ‘okay’ players through the door. That won’t move the needle. We need quality and I’m hopeful JD knows what he’s doing and if so I will more than happily say I’m wrong but for me I think whilst we have got better this FA (it would of been impossible not too!) we’ve not done enough to not get trampled on by the superior teams in our conference.  

The success of this team will be through the draft. FA players here or there always help bc you can’t have high draft picks everywhere. The good news is we have 4 picks in the top 38 this year. That should be some core players for years if we draft right.

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The success of this team will be through the draft. FA players here or there always help bc you can’t have high draft picks everywhere. The good news is we have 4 picks in the top 38 this year. That should be some core players for years if we draft right.

Oh I absolutely agree that for us to have superstars on this team and genuine difference makers then we need to draft them. 

I just don’t like the idea of us not doing everything possible to start trying to close that gap and then at some point overtake the Chiefs/Bills/Bengals of this world. 

Just look at the teams in the AFC…they are stacked. Unfortunately it means for us to do anything we need to match that. I’m not sure our FA period has done that. 

Like others have said we should see improvement from Zach, better o-line with Tomlinson and the TE’s etc. Problem is all these other teams are also getting better. So it’s not like they are standing still and we are closing the gap so to speak. 

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

Look what happened to the Giants last season….

Big free agent spending and their QB sucks. Now they’re f’ed unless Jones magically turns it around. 

14 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Oh I absolutely agree that for us to have superstars on this team and genuine difference makers then we need to draft them. 

I just don’t like the idea of us not doing everything possible to start trying to close that gap and then at some point overtake the Chiefs/Bills/Bengals of this world. 

Just look at the teams in the AFC…they are stacked. Unfortunately it means for us to do anything we need to match that. I’m not sure our FA period has done that. 

Like others have said we should see improvement from Zach, better o-line with Tomlinson and the TE’s etc. Problem is all these other teams are also getting better. So it’s not like they are standing still and we are closing the gap so to speak. 

Wilson has to take big strides these next couple years for that gap to be closed. Hike I love what we did this off-season and am excited for the draft. We can’t just look at the top teams in the AFC and think we can compete with them. As I’ll continue to stress… we lack the receiving weapons those teams do. And that’s a big reason why I want a WR mainly at 10, but for sure in the top 40. Is Burrow Burrow without Chase and Higgins? Is Mahomes Mahomes without Kelce and Hill? Is Herbert Herbert without Allen and Williams? Allen was below  average until they brought in Diggs, Beasley and Davis. Now Beasley and Davis aren’t “great” players. But when Diggs is ahead of them, they can work 1 on 1s. We right now have no player that a defense when watching film has to say “we have to know where this guy is every play.” We can hope Moore can be that, maybe even a healthy Davis. But they aren’t right now. And we need that to try and propel Wilson to that category with those QBs names.

Watch how much Carr’s play elevates this year by getting Adams. 

35 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

What would you have done differently this FA period?

36 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Problem is all these other teams are also getting better. So it’s not like they are standing still and we are closing the gap so to speak. 

You have to crawl before walking.  Buffalo is a playoff caliber team (because they have a QB) so they can blow their wad on one big FA signing.  We had so many holes that getting one big name or two was not going to help lessen the other areas of weakness.  The holes in the dam have been plugged.  Now it is time to resurface the dam.

2 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Philosophically speaking if you’re always chasing teams then you’re never in the lead. Douglas isn’t interested in playing catch up or copy cat. He and Saleh are looking to do things their way, in the end it will pay off…hopefully

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Look what happened to the Giants last season….

Big free agent spending and their QB sucks. Now they’re f’ed unless Jones magically turns it around. 

Yeah I get that but let’s be honest…for every Giants there are the Rams who went balls deep or New England etc. If you trust yourself (JD and staff) to make the right signings then you will live and die by your choices.

That’s why these guys get paid big bucks to run the franchise and we as fans just follow the team 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Wilson has to take big strides these next couple years for that gap to be closed. Hike I love what we did this off-season and am excited for the draft. We can’t just look at the top teams in the AFC and think we can compete with them. As I’ll continue to stress… we lack the receiving weapons those teams do. And that’s a big reason why I want a WR mainly at 10, but for sure in the top 40. Is Burrow Burrow without Chase and Higgins? Is Mahomes Mahomes without Kelce and Hill? Is Herbert Herbert without Allen and Williams? Allen was below  average until they brought in Diggs, Beasley and Davis. Now Beasley and Davis aren’t “great” players. But when Diggs is ahead of them, they can work 1 on 1s. We right now have no player that a defense when watching film has to say “we have to know where this guy is every play.” We can hope Moore can be that, maybe even a healthy Davis. But they aren’t right now. And we need that to try and propel Wilson to that category with those QBs names.

Watch how much Carr’s play elevates this year by getting Adams. 

Your further emphasising my point though. Have we done enough so far in FA to say we have helped Zach enough? Especially if we figure #4 will be a defensive player. 

A solid OG, two decent tight ends and resigning Coleman/Berrios. Like it’s okay I’m not hating on JD I just feel there was better players out there and we have kind of gone safe. If any of those players don’t work it’s not the end of the world cap wise. 

I just feel it’s too safe imo. 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

What would you have done differently this FA period?

You have to crawl before walking.  Buffalo is a playoff caliber team (because they have a QB) so they can blow their wad on one big FA signing.  We had so many holes that getting one big name or two was not going to help lessen the other areas of weakness.  The holes in the dam have been plugged.  Now it is time to resurface the dam.

I would of/will bring in a offensive guard for RG (Tomlinson is fine would of preferred a few others but won’t complain on that) I’d also without a doubt bring in Collins for RT. 

I would of brought in more star power on defense. Players we know can come in and make big differences from day one. I personally would of made sure a top edge rusher like Jones/Smith etc was brought in one a 2yr/3yr deal and also I value centre fielder safeties more than box safeties so I’d of prioritised Marcus Williams or Tyrann Mathieu over Whitehead. 

37 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Yeah I get that but let’s be honest…for every Giants there are the Rams who went balls deep or New England etc. If you trust yourself (JD and staff) to make the right signings then you will live and die by your choices.

That’s why these guys get paid big bucks to run the franchise and we as fans just follow the team 

Your further emphasising my point though. Have we done enough so far in FA to say we have helped Zach enough? Especially if we figure #4 will be a defensive player. 

A solid OG, two decent tight ends and resigning Coleman/Berrios. Like it’s okay I’m not hating on JD I just feel there was better players out there and we have kind of gone safe. If any of those players don’t work it’s not the end of the world cap wise. 

I just feel it’s too safe imo. 

I would of/will bring in a offensive guard for RG (Tomlinson is fine would of preferred a few others but won’t complain on that) I’d also without a doubt bring in Collins for RT. 

I would of brought in more star power on defense. Players we know can come in and make big differences from day one. I personally would of made sure a top edge rusher like Jones/Smith etc was brought in one a 2yr/3yr deal and also I value centre fielder safeties more than box safeties so I’d of prioritised Marcus Williams or Tyrann Mathieu over Whitehead. 

No WR was worth the money and mostly are all older. So not part of progressing WITH Wilson. I’m confident we draft a guy. Just it’s obviously a risk on how good that guy will be. We’re so starved for WRs where people think Moore is darn near Tyreke Hill. When obviously he’s not. 

I personally would of made sure a top edge rusher like Jones/Smith etc was brought in one a 2yr/3yr deal and also

$17M for a 32 y.o edge on a 5 year deal?  Those are exactly the type of deals that put us cap hell years back. Whose to say Jones would have accepted a 3 year deal? Smith is 30 and if was willing to take a 3 year deal, fine. But I think he is going to look for a longer deal like Jones.

I would have liked Williams, no doubt. But we needed a box safety and a CB.  We got both for slightly more.  We filled a lot of leaks.  Once we can field a halfway competent team, then look for the bigger splashes. Remember we’ve gone the big splash route. How many SB’s did it produce? And then we spent years trying to get out from under those bad deals.

It was time to try something different. It will take a bit longer but it should ensure us several years of playoff appearances rather than one and rebuild.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No WR was worth the money and mostly are all older. So not part of progressing WITH Wilson. I’m confident we draft a guy. Just it’s obviously a risk on how good that guy will be. We’re so starved for WRs where people think Moore is darn near Tyreke Hill. When obviously he’s not. 

Like I said I think what we have done has been okay. We’ve plugged holes like everyone has said. But the difference between plugging holes and doing the sorts of things other AFC teams are doing will show come September. 

If we are 2-7 and all that crap again come mid way through the season then please remind me of these discussions we are having now because I promise you we had the same thing when Idzik took over and the same again through the Macagnan years. 

Like legit it’s like reading the same threads from all those years ago. I hope this ends different of course but my gut tells me the overall talent level whilst improved is not going to move the needle come the season.

Admittedly I’m much more pumped for Jd’s drafts so I know we will improve come the end of April. 

47 minutes ago, xrade said:

$17M for a 32 y.o edge on a 5 year deal?  Those are exactly the type of deals that put us cap hell years back. Whose to say Jones would have accepted a 3 year deal? Smith is 30 and if was willing to take a 3 year deal, fine. But I think he is going to look for a longer deal like Jones.

I would have liked Williams, no doubt. But we needed a box safety and a CB.  We got both for slightly more.  We filled a lot of leaks.  Once we can field a halfway competent team, then look for the bigger splashes. Remember we’ve gone the big splash route. How many SB’s did it produce? And then we spent years trying to get out from under those bad deals.

It was time to try something different. It will take a bit longer but it should ensure us several years of playoff appearances rather than one and rebuild.

I get what your saying but like I said I think it’s fairly egotistical from the front office to sign all these under the radar guys and think they will all blossom into stars.

Like why not spend a few more dollars and get the sure thing like a Marcus Williams, Tyrann Mathieu. Why not go get Stephon Gilmore to play cb1 and know your getting a stud. Albeit for a couple of years but to help that young cb room out massively. We instead sign a guy who has talent of course but is no leader and just figuring his own place in the league out. 

We’ve gone the big slash route before….we did it when Rex took over and should of not only played in a Super Bowl but possibly won one too. Also if we had half a brain and could actually draft we could of built that squad for years to come. Instead we defeated poorly and didn’t help Sanchez. 

The other big splash I remember was when we got Revis, Cro, Marshall and those guys and that was our last decent year. If Fitz hadn’t imploded we would of been in the playoffs that year. 

Sicne then it’s been this methodical approach and that’s not worked either. I think m it comes down to trusting JD to build this roster into a perennial play off team. I hope that’s the case I really do but so far under his tenure Iv not liked his FA approach one bit. His drafts have certainly looked better!!!

Last years FA signings; 

Lawson-Injured

Davis- Meh

Coleman- Meh

J.Davis- ****

Joyner- Injured

Feeney- ****

Cole- Meh

Rankins- Meh

Curry- Injured

Hardee- Meh

Kroft- Meh

I swear the same people saying how this FA class was great and how JD was ‘killing it’ are doing it again. Which of course is cool but I just don’t see it. I see wasted opportunities just like last year.  

Edited by KimuraGod

59 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Like I said I think what we have done has been okay. We’ve plugged holes like everyone has said. But the difference between plugging holes and doing the sorts of things other AFC teams are doing will show come September. 

If we are 2-7 and all that crap again come mid way through the season then please remind me of these discussions we are having now because I promise you we had the same thing when Idzik took over and the same again through the Macagnan years. 

Like legit it’s like reading the same threads from all those years ago. I hope this ends different of course but my gut tells me the overall talent level whilst improved is not going to move the needle come the season.

Admittedly I’m much more pumped for Jd’s drafts so I know we will improve come the end of April. 

I get what your saying but like I said I think it’s fairly egotistical from the front office to sign all these under the radar guys and think they will all blossom into stars.

Like why not spend a few more dollars and get the sure thing like a Marcus Williams, Tyrann Mathieu. Why not go get Stephon Gilmore to play cb1 and know your getting a stud. Albeit for a couple of years but to help that young cb room out massively. We instead sign a guy who has talent of course but is no leader and just figuring his own place in the league out. 

We’ve gone the big slash route before….we did it when Rex took over and should of not only played in a Super Bowl but possibly won one too. Also if we had half a brain and could actually draft we could of built that squad for years to come. Instead we defeated poorly and didn’t help Sanchez. 

The other big splash I remember was when we got Revis, Cro, Marshall and those guys and that was our last decent year. If Fitz hadn’t imploded we would of been in the playoffs that year. 

Sicne then it’s been this methodical approach and that’s not worked either. I think m it comes down to trusting JD to build this roster into a perennial play off team. I hope that’s the case I really do but so far under his tenure Iv not liked his FA approach one bit. His drafts have certainly looked better!!!

Last years FA signings; 

Lawson-Injured

Davis- Meh

Coleman- Meh

J.Davis- ****

Joyner- Injured

Feeney- ****

Cole- Meh

Rankins- Meh

Curry- Injured

Hardee- Meh

Kroft- Meh

I swear the same people saying how this FA class was great and how JD was ‘killing it’ are doing it again. Which of course is cool but I just don’t see it. I see wasted opportunities just like last year.  

Davis Meh? Except before getting hurt he was making plays and scoring TDs with a rookie QB. Now you're just being negative. Just because he had a few drops, which is unlike him, doesn't make him a meh signing. He was producing. 

Just now, ekill08x said:

Davis Meh? Except before getting hurt he was making plays and scoring TDs with a rookie QB. Now you're just being negative. Just because he had a few drops, which is unlike him, doesn't make him a meh signing. He was producing. 

He was okay. I like Davis. But again was he anything special?! Not really. Hoping for much better things from him this year though. If we get one of the top receivers in the draft I think that will alleviate some pressure from his shoulders too. 

I don’t think anybody expects them to blossom into anything than what they are. They are upgrades to what we had but are really nothing more than place holders for the “stars” we draft. Almost none of those signings will prevent JD from drafting a player in the same position. For example; we draft Thibs, do you think Martin will be anything more than a rotational depth guy? What JD was give us more flexibility so we are not pressured into maybe over drafting a position of need. 

Also if we had half a brain and could actually draft we could of built that squad for years to come. Instead we defeated poorly and didn’t help Sanchez

Different regime same results as previous and future regimes. JD is taking a different tact. Of course the players he drafts has to pan out but if the 2021 draft class is any indication, we should be OK. 

6 hours ago, xrade said:

I don’t think anybody expects them to blossom into anything than what they are. They are upgrades to what we had but are really nothing more than place holders for the “stars” we draft. Almost none of those signings will prevent JD from drafting a player in the same position. For example; we draft Thibs, do you think Martin will be anything more than a rotational depth guy? What JD was give us more flexibility so we are not pressured into maybe over drafting a position of need. 

Different regime same results as previous and future regimes. JD is taking a different tact. Of course the players he drafts has to pan out but if the 2021 draft class is any indication, we should be OK. 

I disagree with your first statement. I think the front office and coaching staff will believe that the likes of Martin, Whitehead, Reed, Conklin and to a lesser extent Uzomah can get better and become better players as Jets than they were at their previous clubs.

If not then I’d be even more upset. 

As for the different regimes I understand we can’t use past failures as means to grade JD but I was responding to people saying we’ve gone all out in the past and it didn’t work either. When in actual fact when we had offseasons that looked to bring in quality players we actually ended up being successful.

The problem with those regimes was the drafting was awful (could say that for a decade now!) and there was no long term success. Didn’t help we didn’t have a qb either.

Both those things I think has the biggest chance of being different this time around as I believe in Zach Wilson and so far JD had a good draft last year with much promise. 2020 draft doesn’t look good though.

Just hope Becton can get his **** together otherwise it won’t be a success as the likes of Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan who were all our next draftees look like they won’t ever be apart for the future here.