Jets Sign DE Jacob Martin

Bobby816

10 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

When in actual fact when we had offseasons that looked to bring in quality players we actually ended up being successful.

Herein lies the meat of our discussion. I don’t view success as sniffing the playoffs or getting a WC birth. I view success as being a perennial playoff contender with being a SB favorite.

Even those back to back AFC championship games were really just a mirage. The team was not really set up for sustainable success. Had we won a SB, then, yes - success.

39 minutes ago, xrade said:

Herein lies the meat of our discussion. I don’t view success as sniffing the playoffs or getting a WC birth. I view success as being a perennial playoff contender with being a SB favorite.

Even those back to back AFC championship games were really just a mirage. The team was not really set up for sustainable success. Had we won a SB, then, yes - success.

People forget a lot of that was done in the non-cap years. The bad drafting cycle started in 2009 and hasn’t stopped though it’s like it has now. That’s the first step towards to success is drafting well and developing your talent. 

Looking back at our drafts not only did none of these guys stick on our team, they aren’t even in the league anymore. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Looking back at our drafts not only did none of these guys stick on our team, they aren’t even in the league anymore. 

Yeah there were some, if not all, really bad drafts. I am not naive enough to think we will hit it big every draft, but what the previous FO regimes was almost as difficult - whiffing on every class. At the very minimum, you should expect our FRP and SRP to be on this team for a while and contribute.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Yeah there were some, if not all, really bad drafts. I am not naive enough to think we will hit it big every draft, but what the previous FO regimes was almost as difficult - whiffing on every class. At the very minimum, you should expect our FRP and SRP to be on this team for a while and contribute.

Best pick from 2008 to 2019 was Demario Davis. We let him go twice lol.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Bro you may not see playoffs or AFC championship games as success but it’s the best we’ve had in decades. We’ve not reached the SB since 1969. 

We all want a perennial super bowl contender but to be honest I just want to see us win again and challenge for the playoffs and have meaningful games come January. 

We own the longest playoff drought in the league. Nearly double the years of the team second on the list. 

31 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Bro you may not see playoffs or AFC championship games as success but it’s the best we’ve had in decades. We’ve not reached the SB since 1969. 

We all want a perennial super bowl contender but to be honest I just want to see us win again and challenge for the playoffs and have meaningful games come January. 

We own the longest playoff drought in the league. Nearly double the years of the team second on the list. 

I said perennial playoff contender. Yes, that is success in my eyes. One and done, not so much. Spending big on a couple of marquee names provided just that followed by years of suckitude.

Would you really want a team that gets into the playoffs for a year or two only to be picking top 10 for the next 10 years?  Because that is how we operated. Do you consider that a success?

9 hours ago, xrade said:

I said perennial playoff contender. Yes, that is success in my eyes. One and done, not so much. Spending big on a couple of marquee names provided just that followed by years of suckitude.

Would you really want a team that gets into the playoffs for a year or two only to be picking top 10 for the next 10 years?  Because that is how we operated. Do you consider that a success?

Like I stated numerous times. We couldn’t/didn’t have sustained success because our drafting sucked and we didn’t have a good qb.

Looking at our draftees over the last six/seven years not only do we not have any picks still here but bar a few exceptions all those guys aren’t even in the league anymore!!! 

Those two reasons are the reason for the playoff drought. If a GM believes they can draft well then there’s no reason you can’t add proper talent in FA.

I seriously hope I’m wrong about these cheaper, under the radar type signings JD loves to make. I swear of the 100+ pages of the offseason thread and the many mocks that were created we didn’t sign any of the guys we have in real life (minus maybe Tomlinson I’m not sure!)

But suddenly because we have signed them in real life all these guys are ‘great signings’ and JD is being hailed and congratulated on a great FA period.

I would so love to be wrong but it feels like that film Groundhog Day. It’s more or less the exact same thread as last year. Only this year more of my boys are on the side of JD this time so maybe it’s just me and if wrong I will happily hold my hands up. Just don’t see it right now. 

The draft will be key as we all know! 

5 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Only this year more of my boys are on the side of JD this time so maybe it’s just me and if wrong I will happily hold my hands up. Just don’t see it right now. 

You’re not alone in this feeling. There is another. (I kid). But like I said to DWC, the vitriol is certainly understandable when we’ve sucked for so long but seem to be moving at a glacial pace to get to respectability.  For years, many of us said we need to build through the draft. JD actually is doing so by not spending big on marquee names and collecting draft picks. Yes, the pressure to hit on the draft prospects is huge. I hope he hits on them. If not, we will all be posting in a new “whose the next GM” thread.

Good luck with your training and competition. Maybe when you can enjoy decadent foods again you will join us on the JD bandwagon. Wink. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

You’re not alone in this feeling. There is another. (I kid). But like I said to DWC, the vitriol is certainly understandable when we’ve sucked for so long but seem to be moving at a glacial pace to get to respectability.  For years, many of us said we need to build through the draft. JD actually is doing so by not spending big on marquee names and collecting draft picks. Yes, the pressure to hit on the draft prospects is huge. I hope he hits on them. If not, we will all be posting in a new “whose the next GM” thread.

Good luck with your training and competition. Maybe when you can enjoy decadent foods again you will join us on the JD bandwagon. Wink. 

Ha yeah I’m not as strong in my beliefs as others on here wink wink nod nod.

However Iv felt for a few years now that we’ve under utilised free agency. Like we have gone out and spent money but I’m not sure the level of players brought in have been good enough. 

And yeah maybe I will!!!! As long as I don’t get choked out in my first bout! 

Edited by KimuraGod

On 3/19/2022 at 3:47 AM, KimuraGod said:

I disagree with your first statement. I think the front office and coaching staff will believe that the likes of Martin, Whitehead, Reed, Conklin and to a lesser extent Uzomah can get better and become better players as Jets than they were at their previous clubs.

If not then I’d be even more upset. 

As for the different regimes I understand we can’t use past failures as means to grade JD but I was responding to people saying we’ve gone all out in the past and it didn’t work either. When in actual fact when we had offseasons that looked to bring in quality players we actually ended up being successful.

The problem with those regimes was the drafting was awful (could say that for a decade now!) and there was no long term success. Didn’t help we didn’t have a qb either.

Both those things I think has the biggest chance of being different this time around as I believe in Zach Wilson and so far JD had a good draft last year with much promise. 2020 draft doesn’t look good though.

Just hope Becton can get his **** together otherwise it won’t be a success as the likes of Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan who were all our next draftees look like they won’t ever be apart for the future here. 

All teams think when they sign a player that they will do better with them than the old team. 

I hope the Jets get out to a fast start this year. It seems we are out of the playoffs by Thanksgiving. If the Jets start out 2-7 then that is the fault of the coaches and Wilson I'm tired of this "JUST WAIT AND SEE HOW THESE GUYS DO!" I have waited 40 plus years and I'm still waiting. If you joined the Jets fan base after the in the last 10 years you have no idea what this team has done to its fans. If Wilson comes out and tanks the first 7-8 games of the season let's move on from him. I think the biggest problem the GM have is staying to long with that rookie QB they drafted. Browns should have moved on from Mayfield a season or 2 before. Giants should have moved on from Jones 2 years ago. If that QB does not make big strides in year 3 move on. If he sucks for the first year and most of the second year move on. 

We've improved from a Jets point of view. 

But we haven't improved in comparison to the rest of the AFC. 

The honeymoon excuses are over for Joe Douglas. 

He entered this offseason #1 in Draft Capital and #2 in Available Salary Cap Space. 

So another 2-14 and/or 4-13 and/or even a 2022 6-11 record isn't going to be good enough; he better win. 

And he better surround Zach Wilson with enough Offensive Fire Power to become successful year #2 and if not? 

Bye bye.