Does Defense Win Championships?

Carmen Cygni

1 minute ago, TuckRule said:

A 14-12 score would mean the defense won the game. Just like the Giants defense won superbowl 42 even though the offense made the game winning drive to go up 17-14 and Eli Manning got MVP.

Yea, you missed the point of his post.  

Using the logic that defense won the Eagles the superbowl, the offense would have won in the scenario you describe.

32 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Also remind yourselves that the Eagles had the #4 defense over the course of the season, and only allowed 10, and 7 points in the playoff games before the SB.

Sounds good. I've marked that reminder in my notebook, right under my other reminder that the Eagles had the #3 offense over the course of the season and scored 31 and 41 points in their last two playoff games, including the SB.

11 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Sounds good. I've marked that reminder in my notebook, right under my other reminder that the Eagles had the #3 offense over the course of the season and scored 31 and 41 points in their last two playoff games, including the SB.

Correct, the Eagles offense helped them win a lot of games, including the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Also remind yourselves that the Eagles had the #4 defense over the course of the season, and only allowed 10, and 7 points in the playoff games before the SB.

But when you first started this thread you spoke about how offenses wins games, but defense wins championships, in that you were specifically talking about the championship game.

This is where your argument falls apart, you use regular season stats, playoff stats, or just single game (super bowl) stats, interchangeably to fit your narrative. 

You can't be consistent and keep your narrative because it doesn't actually exist. 

1 hour ago, TuckRule said:

A 14-12 score would mean the defense won the game. Just like the Giants defense won superbowl 42 even though the offense made the game winning drive to go up 17-14 and Eli Manning got MVP.

yeah that's my point pal, the logic of people saying defense won SBLII for philly is the sameness as saying the offense won that for the giants, or won for team a in my hypothetical; that is to say, absurdly stupid

8 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yea, you missed the point of his post.  

Using the logic that defense won the Eagles the superbowl, the offense would have won in the scenario you describe.

it's probably a bit confusing tbf given my absolute refusal to punctuate my sentences or to carefully consider the wording of my post, as opposed to what i do, which is to just go straight from the tap and in to your lap sort of thing so i get why he could have been confused but ye listen to jlowe he feels me

Archived