Does Defense Win Championships?

Carmen Cygni

11 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Let's look at some playoff stats, not the regular season stats when evaluating stars regarding championships

You might think you're being clever here, but that sentiment and those situations happen all the time. 

Case and point: There have been a slew of wild card teams who have barely made the playoffs but gelled and got hot at just the right time to roll through the playoffs and win the SB. 

9 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

You're right I forgot about the pick 6.  But my point was that was a deficit that could not be overcome without an elite QB.  Yes, the defense played well in the second half, but they couldn't make those points up without the QB.

Correction: without the offense. #QBwinz

We all saw what happened to Brady in the playoffs the year before when NE's o-line struggled; they couldn't get the job done nor could Brady do it all by himself.  It's why they brought back the great Dante Scarnecchia. 

Just now, Carmen Cygni said:

Correction: without the offense. #QBwinz

We all saw what happened to Brady in the playoffs the year before when NE's o-line struggled; they couldn't get the job done nor could Brady do it all by himself.  It's why they brought back the great Dante Scarnecchia. 

Yea, the offense, but not just any QB could engineer that comeback, it takes a special one.  

24 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

Every game, every play even, is situational and it's reasons vary greatly. So trying to make sense of total yards given up, yards given upper pass or run, etc. by mere statistics is essentially irrelevant without a proper chart breakdown of the each and every game. A unit also doesn't have to been even remotely "memorable" to be properly effective in concerns to the most important aspect of the game which is the results of the scoreboard. 

But you can measure efficiency for a unit via every single play they are put in on the field and chart the results of those situations in comparison to a league average baseline. Which is what DVOA does. I'm just saying, I don't see how DVOA is silly, but just using points per game given up for a defense as a measure for the quality of a unit isn't. 

Yeah you don't have to be memorable to get results. I'm just saying that defense was just average in my opinion. 

41 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

It changes nothing. I explained and clarified that thought process within my first few posts. It's also, in a way, built in to the adage itself.

An offense can carry a team through out the regular season, but when push comes to shove and you're facing the best teams of the year in the playoffs, it's the defense that must rise to the occasion to acquire the Lombardi. 

Were Flacco and Eli elite QBs? 

The Broncos are my 2nd rooting interest team and I am here as living proof to tell you.....

....absolutely defense wins championships.

The 2013 Seahawks insane defense crushed the most statistically dominant offense of all time in the SB to win a title and 2 years later the 2015 Broncos defense laid absolute waste to offenses with Rodgers, Cam, Brady, Rivers and Roethlisberger at the helm to win a title.

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

But you can measure efficiency for a unit via every single play they are put in on the field and chart the results of those situations in comparison to a league average baseline. Which is what DVOA does. I'm just saying, I don't see how DVOA is silly, but just using points per game given up for a defense as a measure for the quality of a unit isn't. 

Yeah you don't have to be memorable to get results. I'm just saying that defense was just average in my opinion. 

And yet, you'll still never understand the situation or reasoning behind the plays or game. Nor have a grasp on the actual game itself. If you're going to dive into DVOA, you also need an in-depth analysis and tape breakdown of the game itself. It's useless alone. Just more undefined data. 

Just now, Carmen Cygni said:

And yet, you'll still never understand the situation or reasoning behind the plays or game. Nor have a grasp on the actual game itself. If you're going to dive into DVOA, you also need an in-depth analysis and tape breakdown of the game itself. It's useless alone. Just more undefined data. 

Not saying it's perfect, or that it can predict someone's thinking on the sidelines. I am saying it's a more productive way to chronicle results from a team or a unit's efficiency than just looking at point total. 

13 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

No, though they did play exceptional well at times during their respective teams SB runs. 

Then it would be safe to say that unexceptional defenses raised their level of play during those SB runs as well? 

I think we’re on the same page.

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Then it would be safe to say that unexceptional defenses raised their level of play during those SB runs as well? 

I think we’re on the same page.

Possibly. I have never stated that all SB's are won by elite defenses. I've stuck to the adage and simply implied that top-notch defensive play is needed to win championships and they can also do so without leading offensive play. I've rarely witnessed the situation vice versa. 

Archived