THINKING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX DURING FREE AGENCY

Karnage84

7 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would have no problem with them drafting an OT at two. It’s not my preference but if they can move Decker for good picks I’m all for it. I wouldn’t be upset if they have a good oline for 7 or 8 years.

I will never complain about linemen being drafted.

@Sllim Pickenshad made a point a few days ago when this was first asked in a thread, which is a valid one, about drafting someone and creating another hole while having other holes on the roster. 

Decker is 29 years old. Sure, Andrew Whitworth just retired at age 40. So we'd get at least another 5 or so years out of the guy. However, we're looking to get our QBOTF in the next few years - arguably in 2023 (+1 year). He'd need time to develop with the expectation of being a top 12 option by year 3 (2025). So that's in 4 years. We'd get 1-2 years of a Decker/QBOTF tandem, assuming that Deckers level of play stays the same. Outside of addressing RG, we could pretty much set and forget the OL for the next 4 years. 

In 2025:

LT - Sewell (25) > 5th year option of rookie deal

LG - Jackson (28) > UFA in 2024*

OC - Ragnow (29) > Under contract

RG - 

RT - Ekwonu (25) > year 4 of rookie deal

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Breece Hall at 34 would make me quite angry. 

Right!!! What good is running game to control the clock if you can never get your defense off the field? The two go hand in hand.

Edited by LionArkie

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Same. That would be somewhat inexcusable to me. If you feel like you need a RB to take a few carries, pick up a free agent or draft someone in like the fifth round.  

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

With the success that we had last year with Craig Reynolds, there's absolutely no reason for us to take a RB early. We generally had a pretty solid RB group last year and we can add a RB later in the draft, UDFA or even cap casualties. 

If we need a RB, draft Malik Willis at #2, play him as RB with Goff at QB, ARSB out wide and D'Andre Swift in the slot. Confuse the hell out of defenses.

#2- Malik Willis, QB/RB

#32- Kenyon Green, G

#34- Christian Watson, WR

#66- Romeo Doubs, WR

#97- Jeremy Ruckert, TE

#177- Jamaree Salyer, G

#181- Abram Smith, RB

#217- Bo Melton, WR

#234- Connor Heyward, FB

Who needs defense? 

Edited by Louis Friend

The only reason that you would consider taking somone like Ekwonu at #2 is

- We aren't sold on Thibodeaux as a prospect

- We have concerns about Hamilton's athleticism/taking a safety at #2 (and maybe really like other guys who will be available at 32/34/66)

- We can't find a trade down partner

At this point in our rebuild, I don't think we can get too picky on positions and should just add good football players. We also need to ensure that we hit on our high picks instead of striking out on someone like Okudah. If you can't resolve the questions surrounding those other guys and we can't trade down, taking a good player at a safe position isn't a bad bet. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

At this point in our rebuild, I don't think we can get too picky on positions and should just add good football players. We also need to ensure that we hit on our high picks instead of striking out on someone like Okudah. If you can't resolve the questions surrounding those other guys and we can't trade down, taking a good player at a safe position isn't a bad bet. 

Then you take your QB in Malik Willis, especially if he's the only legit option at the position. If we don't draft Kyle Hamilton because positions matter, you take the QB you need first. If you wouldn't draft Willis at #2 because he's not a top 3 player in the draft, why would you take an OT at #2? 

16 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

If we need a RB, draft Malik Willis at #2, play him as RB with Goff at QB, ARSB out wide and D'Andre Swift in the slot. Confuse the hell out of defenses.

#2- Malik Willis, QB/RB

#32- Kenyon Green, G

#34- Christian Watson, WR

#66- Romeo Doubs, WR

#97- Jeremy Ruckert, TE

#177- Jamaree Salyer, G

#181- Abram Smith, RB

#217- Bo Melton, WR

#234- Connor Heyward, FB

Who needs defense? 

DeAndre Swift makes a ton of sense as a slot WR.  He isn't a 20-25 carry per game RB and his health issues reflect that.  

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Then you take your QB in Malik Willis, especially if he's the only legit option at the position. If we don't draft Kyle Hamilton because positions matter, you take the QB you need first. If you wouldn't draft Willis at #2 because he's not a top 3 player in the draft, why would you take an OT at #2? 

I've already outlined the thought process, as does Mr. Renner. I've even laid out the cap implications and how that helps us in 2023 and beyond.

Why would I draft a QB that I'm not thrilled with in a draft class that could wind up with nobody making much of an impact vs an OL that should have an immediate role and we'd have flexibility for future options. 

• Post June 1st cut/trade of Vaitai saves $7M ($1.77M Dead Cap). 
  • Post June 1st trade of Decker in 2023 saves $15M ($3.9M Dead Cap)

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I've already outlined the thought process, as does Mr. Renner. I've even laid out the cap implications and how that helps us in 2023 and beyond.

Why would I draft a QB that I'm not thrilled with in a draft class that could wind up with nobody making much of an impact vs an OL that should have an immediate role and we'd have flexibility for future options. 

• Post June 1st cut/trade of Vaitai saves $7M ($1.77M Dead Cap). 
  • Post June 1st trade of Decker in 2023 saves $15M ($3.9M Dead Cap)

You don't think drafting Willis and cutting Goff next season while gaining $20+M in capspace would help us financially instead of cutting two OL starters for the same cap space?