THINKING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX DURING FREE AGENCY

Karnage84

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

You don't think drafting Willis and cutting Goff next season while gaining $20+M in capspace would help us financially instead of cutting two OL starters for the same cap space? 

What if Goff plays well this season? What if Malik Willis is Jordan Love? 

If you aren't buying the draft class this year, why force it? As soon as the team picks a new QB, the clock starts ticking. We have multiple 1sts next year. Why not continue to build the foundations, get younger, save money  and then plug in a QB with a stronger overall roster?

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

What if Goff plays well this season? What if Malik Willis is Jordan Love? 

If you aren't buying the draft class this year, why force it? As soon as the team picks a new QB, the clock starts ticking. We have multiple 1sts next year. Why not continue to build the foundations, get younger, save money  and then plug in a QB with a stronger overall roster?

I'm not advocating to draft Willis #2. But the premise is the same as taking an OT at #2. If the only reason is to cut money next season and because "position", it's not a very good reason. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm not advocating to draft Willis #2. But the premise is the same as taking an OT at #2. If the only reason is to cut money next season and because "position", it's not a very good reason. 

It's not "the only reason", it's a part of the process in working through whether the idea has legs or not. 

- Ekwonu would play immediately (Willis would not)

- We'd save money in 2022 and 2023

- We'd get younger in the trenches, so our cornerstones would be young and get to play together for several years

- We'd have one of the top OL's in the entire league, providing protecting to whomever winds up under center as our QBOTF. We saw Stafford get killed for years because we couldn't solve the OL. I'd rather not repeat that and build through the trenches.

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

It's not "the only reason", it's a part of the process in working through whether the idea has legs or not. 

- Ekwonu would play immediately (Willis would not)

- We'd save money in 2022 and 2023

- We'd get younger in the trenches, so our cornerstones would be young and get to play together for several years

- We'd have one of the top OL's in the entire league, providing protecting to whomever winds up under center as our QBOTF. We saw Stafford get killed for years because we couldn't solve the OL. I'd rather not repeat that and build through the trenches.

Where do you see Ekwonu playing? 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Have you read my posts related to this? 

I have. You claim he can play all over the line (I disagree and think he's better suited as a G and would plug him in at RG for the next ten years) and that he can play RT, moving Sewell to LT once Decker is gone. But you just said he can play right away. So, barring any hypothetical trade, where do you see him playing right away? 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I have. You claim he can play all over the line (I disagree and think he's better suited as a G and would plug him in at RG for the next ten years) and that he can play RT, moving Sewell to LT once Decker is gone. But you just said he can play right away. So, barring any hypothetical trade, where do you see him playing right away? 

At NC State, here's his snap count:

2021 - 820 snaps at LT

2020 - 522 snaps at LT; 239 snaps at LG; 1 at RT

2019 - 618 snaps at LT

He's played most of his snaps at LT and some at LG. We aren't likely going to move Jonah Jackson to RG. 

The most realistic option is trading/cutting Vaitai and playing him at RG. We should be able to get something for him in a trade. 

A team like the Colts can use a LT and have a better overall roster that's ready to compete. If they trade for Matt Ryan (assuming Watson goes to Atlanta), I could see the Colts getting him for a couple 2nds. 

Ryan has a huge cap hit. If the Colts take on more of his contract, they could lessen the cost of acquiring him. He's going to need protection and the Colts have a need at LT. This would leave a 2023 1st available as a trade piece. If the Lions can trade Decker to Indy for a 2022 4th and a 2023 1st, it might be worthwhile in moving him. 

If that's the case, you hold onto Vaitai and then determine if we want to play Sewell or Ekwonu at LT. 

• Like 1

I could get behind it as I am also always good with trench additions. That said, luckily we would still have 4 picks in the first three rounds to add some WR youth, a starting Safety, a starting ILB, and at least a rotational edge player. The draft is deep so I think we can accomplish this and still take an elite OL 2.