San Fran will most likely trade out of #1 (or #2).

JustPlainNasty

As a niner's fan, I wanted to comment on this. Yes, as a fan, I certainly want us to trade down. Some of us want to take Barkley, and while I understand the appeal, I think that there is a good value deal in order to move down and Barkley doesn't mean much if you can't block for him. That being said, as a fan, I wouldn't love the idea of trading all the way down to where you guys are going to be picking, and if we did, I would want it to involve not only getting back picks, but a decent player as well. 

Personally, I want the Carson Wentz deal. Trade down from 2 to 8, get the extra picks, take Quentin Nelson.  That would be my definite preference. I think for you guys, making a move that big would be too cost prohibitive, and they are really hard to accomplish, so I don't know how likely that would be anyway. 

4 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

We don't to sell the farm to get a big impact player on D.  IF they are not going to target Ben's replacement next year, they can get a difference maker in the draft.  Colbert and Tomlin have done a great job of late and if they can have another A draft, we should be sitting pretty for next year.  

Exactly.   You never "sell the farm" for anything other than a franchise QB.   Maybe if you have a young franchise QB and very few holes to fill and some extra draft capital to toss around, but thats usually not the case, and certainly isnt the case for us.    If anything, if we dont draft a QB, we should be looking to trade DOWN rather than trade up and maybe pick up an extra first rounder in 2019, to give us a better shot at getting a QB in the following draft.

18 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Exactly.   You never "sell the farm" for anything other than a franchise QB.   Maybe if you have a young franchise QB and very few holes to fill and some extra draft capital to toss around, but thats usually not the case, and certainly isnt the case for us.    If anything, if we dont draft a QB, we should be looking to trade DOWN rather than trade up and maybe pick up an extra first rounder in 2019, to give us a better shot at getting a QB in the following draft.

it depends, if you are in "win now or bust" mode, you absolutely sell the farm.  rebuilding will suck when Ben retires, whether it starts 1 year from now or 3 years from now.

46 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

it depends, if you are in "win now or bust" mode, you absolutely sell the farm.  rebuilding will suck when Ben retires, whether it starts 1 year from now or 3 years from now.

We won't be rebuilding when Ben retires.  We already have a *mostly* complete team.  It will be all about finding a QB replacement and filling in with a stop gap QB if necessary.  Cowher's teams won with some pretty average QB play because of that defense and running game.  

4 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

We won't be rebuilding when Ben retires.  We already have a *mostly* complete team.  It will be all about finding a QB replacement and filling in with a stop gap QB if necessary.  Cowher's teams won with some pretty average QB play because of that defense and running game.  

the team is young and growing on D,  good on that side of the ball for 5 years forward, but going to be expensive to maintain as more C2/C3 emerge

on offense, they're about to lose RB1/WR2 (Bell),  WR4 Bryant is a no-show headcase, there's nothing behind that on the depth chart.  they have no reliable TE, a terrible LT, a RT who can't stay healthy, and an interior OL that only works well with a RB like Bell's style.    Add in that everyone on the team is now X years accustomed to playing haleyball and BigBen's extend the playground style,  the offense could be very very very ugly, especially for a mediocre rookie QB or an immobile veteran system QB

14 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

the team is young and growing on D,  good on that side of the ball for 5 years forward, but going to be expensive to maintain as more C2/C3 emerge

on offense, they're about to lose RB1/WR2 (Bell),  WR4 Bryant is a no-show headcase, there's nothing behind that on the depth chart.  they have no reliable TE, a terrible LT, a RT who can't stay healthy, and an interior OL that only works well with a RB like Bell's style.    Add in that everyone on the team is now X years accustomed to playing haleyball and BigBen's extend the playground style,  the offense could be very very very ugly, especially for a mediocre rookie QB or an immobile veteran system QB

Bell is not WR #2.  We're set at WRs 1 & 2 w AB & Ju.  Bryant may or may not *probably not* be a factor going forward.  But I fully expect another WR to be drafted in the first 3 rounds in 2018.  With the OL that we have, almost any good back could have success.  Not to say Bell isn't elite, he is, but finding another stud RB is not a major concern.  And likely Bell will be tagged next year if not signed to a LTD.   jAdd another TE.  QB will be the main problem.  

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Bell is not WR #2.  We're set at WRs 1 & 2 w AB & Ju.  Bryant may or may not *probably not* be a factor going forward.  But I fully expect another WR to be drafted in the first 3 rounds in 2018.  With the OL that we have, almost any good back could have success.  Not to say Bell isn't elite, he is, but finding another stud RB is not a major concern.  And likely Bell will be tagged next year if not signed to a LTD.   jAdd another TE.  QB will be the main problem.  

by receptions and targets, Bell is WR2  2 years running.  and no, not any RB can succeed behind an interior OL that is built for counters/traps and pulls.

22 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Didn't it take multiple firsts for the Washington football team to move up several picks to get to RG3?

We'd have to give up a whole ton and it's not worth it.

I know, and their QB is the guy they picked in the 3rd Rd, lol!

If Ben retires, I think we pick up an established vet like Smith, Cousins, etc. Heck, I'd even take a flier on a guy like Luck or Bradford hoping they can put together one healthy season. I think he's going to Jacksonville but it'd be pretty ironic if we could get Eli for one last run. And, hey, that would solve our little problem of never being able to get past the Patriots.

The first round QBs are barely first round QBs at all really...so none of them are worthy of trading up for...Rosen and Donald both have some great skill sets and size but overall they rarely dominate against really good teams...and at some point we gotta stop blaming the teams around them. Jackson is great and probably being overlooked because unlike the first two i mentioned his team really does suck...but still his style of play has question marks. Mason is a third round prospect being touted as a first round to fill qoutas...i do like what i see at times...his arm strength is not good especially for his size and he has problems with anticipation.......josh allen is living off of carson wentz hype...he is playing horrible this year...baker mayfield? no thanks...not in the first.

i rather like the idea of finding a stop gap......never been a fan of smith or cousins but i like them as stop gaps as long as we dont fall in love with game managers out of desperation like other teams have...they would love to come here im sure...no to eli and no to sam bradford...tyrod is interesting, and so is luck...who else? 

When it comes to the draft i am looking at late round gems sure to be overlooked like dak and wilson in the past...Devante Kincaid comes to mind and he can bring that running back with him while he is at it.

Baker Mayfield is all stats no substance.  If your thinking of that route might as well draft Trace McSorely in the 7th.  Similar production, similar bodies, don't blow a high pick.

Most scouts and people that talk to scouts have Mason Rudolph in the 3rd.

The stupid Josh Allen hype has died.

There's 2 first round QB's and both have big flaws.  One is easier to fix than the other.  Josh Rosen is legit, but he's got to pick up some size and carry the ball higher.   Sam Darnold has happy feet and needs to not hear ghosts in the pocket.

This isn't the "year of the QB" like was so hyped before the season started.

50 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Baker Mayfield is all stats no substance.  If your thinking of that route might as well draft Trace McSorely in the 7th.  Similar production, similar bodies, don't blow a high pick.

Most scouts and people that talk to scouts have Mason Rudolph in the 3rd.

The stupid Josh Allen hype has died.

There's 2 first round QB's and both have big flaws.  One is easier to fix than the other.  Josh Rosen is legit, but he's got to pick up some size and carry the ball higher.   Sam Darnold has happy feet and needs to not hear ghosts in the pocket.

This isn't the "year of the QB" like was so hyped before the season started.

Seems like this is the case with every draft class. There’s about 12 rSophs and juniors that look the part but as soon as the spotlight hits them they wither. 

Archived