Davante Adams trade, signed for 5 years 141 mil

101Raider

15 minutes ago, Geezy said:

But no one wants to play with Carr! 

I do not doubt he wanted to play with Carr but it sounds like he would have wanted to come here whether or not Carr was here.  

Bradley had more players take smaller contracts to come play for him last year then Carr has had his entire career.  Can you name any players that took less to play with Carr?  I looked back to 2019 and only saw players we had to over pay to come to the team.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not doubt he wanted to play with Carr but it sounds like he would have wanted to come here whether or not Carr was here.  

Bradley had more players take smaller contracts to come play for him last year then Carr has had his entire career.  Can you name any players that took less to play with Carr?  I looked back to 2019 and only saw players we had to over pay to come to the team.

Outside of the Bucs/Rams super teams over the past two years, when have any players taken less money to play anywhere? Free agency is literally about overpaying guys which is why teams like the Jaguars and Jets always bring in a ton of players. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Outside of the Bucs/Rams super teams over the past two years, when have any players taken less money to play anywhere? Free agency is literally about overpaying guys which is why teams like the Jaguars and Jets always bring in a ton of players. 

I am not saying we are different than other teams.  I am saying players are not coming here to play with Carr besides Adams and I believe Adams would have us at the top of his list if Carr was not here.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not saying we are different than other teams.  I am saying players are not coming here to play with Carr besides Adams and I believe Adams would have us at the top of his list if Carr was not here.

Adams didn't even know that he was going to get traded, lol.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Adams didn't even know that he was going to get traded, lol.

Adams wanted to come to the Raiders last time he was a FA.  He just decided to stay with GB.  This time GB pissed him off to the point he said he would not want to play there anymore.  He knew he would get traded when he rejected a contract offer making him the highest paid non QB on offense.

42 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Adams wanted to come to the Raiders last time he was a FA.  He just decided to stay with GB.  This time GB pissed him off to the point he said he would not want to play there anymore.  He knew he would get traded when he rejected a contract offer making him the highest paid non QB on offense.

The team didn't mention anything to him and we were in negotiations with Allen Robinson at the time of the deal.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The team didn't mention anything to him and we were in negotiations with Allen Robinson at the time of the deal.

I am sure they did not but he knew.  You do not reject a contract like that after making it obvious you want to go somewhere specific and then get blindsided by a trade.  As soon as he got the tag he did what he could to make them trade him.

• 2 weeks later...

The Packers’ power brokers asked Adams how they could change his mind. The Packers were willing to give Adams a better contract than the five-year, $141.25 million pact that he signed with the Raiders after the trade. But Adams wanted to join a new team, and the Packers gave him permission to seek a trade. He became enamored with the idea of playing for the Raiders and with Fresno State teammate Derek Carr once they got involved.

On the negotiating front, Adams and the Raiders agreed to a new contract within about a day, but the trade terms still needed to be ironed out. The Packers wanted the first- and second-round picks in 2022 that they ultimately received, but the Raiders were hoping to substitute that second-rounder for another pick.

The deal then nearly hit a snag when the Packers asked for a player in return. Initially, the Raiders offered their 2022 first-round pick and a 2023 second-rounder. Shortly thereafter, the Packers asked for the first-rounder and an undisclosed player. It doesn’t sound like the Raiders were going to accept that package, but the sides also realized such a deal actually wasn’t permissible, as league rules don’t allow a player to be involved in a trade for another player on the franchise tag. Finally, a few days after ironing out the contract with Adams, the Raiders agreed to send the pair of picks.