John Elway vs Brett Favre

LieutenantGains

Better QB  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Better QB

• John Elway
    • Brett Favre

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

If SB rings (and appearances) weigh heavily on a QB's ranking then you gotta go with Elway.

My top 10 is Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Marino. I think if you take a balanced approach you need to go Favre. One less Super Bowl. Two appearances. Was a significantly better physical talent, dominates Elway in nearly every stat. Intangible of the iron man streak. The problem with Elway is there isn't really much of a case for him when you ignore the post season. Brady and Montana have arguments outside the post season. Elway really doesn't. I think you have to heavily weigh 3 Super Bowl losses where Elway never really had a chance and only got there because of the weakness of the AFC to rank him above Favre. But if you weigh those that much you have to start moving Aikman, Staubach, and Bradshaw wayyyyy up. 

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

My top 10 is Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Marino. I think if you take a balanced approach you need to go Favre. One less Super Bowl. Two appearances. Was a significantly better physical talent, dominates Elway in nearly every stat. Intangible of the iron man streak. The problem with Elway is there isn't really much of a case for him when you ignore the post season. Brady and Montana have arguments outside the post season. Elway really doesn't. I think you have to heavily weigh 3 Super Bowl losses where Elway never really had a chance and only got there because of the weakness of the AFC to rank him above Favre. But if you weigh those that much you have to start moving Aikman, Staubach, and Bradshaw wayyyyy up. 

My reasoning is Favre should have had more success with his talents.  He never appeared in another SB after the loss to Denver mainly because of his play.  He had a maddening tenancy to throw picks in the post season.  In 2002 he threw 6 INTs in one game with 2 of the them pick sixes.  Even with the weaknesses of the AFC Elway still found a way to win and appear in those 3 SBs even if he wasn't successful in them. 

On 11/9/2017 at 7:31 PM, Pugger said:

If SB rings (and appearances) weigh heavily on a QB's ranking then you gotta go with Elway.

Elways was a top 5 QB by any standard, Favre, was great, but no where near a top 5 guy.  Elway was probably the #3 QB of all time, based on leading teams to the SB and I have seen them all play since the 50's.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Elways was a top 5 QB by any standard, Favre, was great, but no where near a top 5 guy.  Elway was probably the #3 QB of all time, based on leading teams to the SB and I have seen them all play since the 50's.

That could just mean you're a poor evaluator of QB talent.

Archived