Ranking the Head Coach Hot Seat

Hunter2_1

How would you have the hot-seat list, with most likely to be fired at the top? I'd go;

1. Ben McAdoo

I think when you lose the crowd, and seats are empty - you have a problem with the owner. The owner will not tolerate that, and he also won't sit back and take blame without handing out paperwork. Amplified with NYC media. So I think Ben is in danger

2. Chuck Pagano

He's an inherited coach for a start, and has shown no signs of being able to build a team or to eek out results when the chips are down. Plus, he doesn't really have anything about him. At least with Shanahan, he might be 0-8, but he's got that whole QB guru thing going on. What's Chuck aside from the guy that implemented the worst trick play in history? 

3. Dirk Koetter 

Again, showing no signs of righting the ship. Development of Winston is non-existent and his players have proven to be unruly. Plus, rumours are that the Glaziers have forgiven Gruden....hint.

4. Hue jacskson

Whether it's a new regime or not, I can't see a front office not reacting to yet ANOTHER desperately poor season. If he finishes well (which means a couple of wins) he will be safe. If he has 0 wins, he will go. 

5-10. Some order from Fox, Caldwell, Ariens, Lewis and BOB?

If the Bengals continue on their trajectory to a 6-10 record, I think this could finally be the year we see Marvin Lewis booted (or not re-signed, his contract is up right?).

These guys’ heads wont be on the chopping blocks, but Anthony Lynn and Vance Joseph ought to be feeling some heat in their seat. I’ve been largely unimpressed with both of them for the most part and I’d have to think that their days are numbered unless there’s some crazy improvement between now and the end of next season.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

3. Dirk Koetter 

Again, showing no signs of righting the ship. Development of Winston is non-existent and his players have proven to be unruly. Plus, rumours are that the Glaziers have forgiven Gruden....hint.

Koetter is on the hot seat because of his inability to change the culture in the locker room and his inability to hold his players accountable. I thought he had it figured out at the end of last season, but this season proves he didn’t. 

Fundamentally, the players in leadership positions on this team aren’t leaders. McCoy has been a captain since the day he got there, but he’s not a leader. Winston has been “the guy” since he walked in the door, but try to watch Sunday’s pregame speech without feeling embarrassed for him. There’s a few more, but you get the idea.

As for the Gruden rumours, I just can’t see it, but if it’s going to happen, it’ll be this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

According to Texans fans, he should be done for.

He probably should be but I doubt the texans want to hire a new HC and hurt Watson's development by forcing him to learn an entirely new offense on top of ACL rehab.

Plus he has a golden ticket of an excuse with the injuries the texans had this year.

I'm almost certain McAdoo and Pagano will be gone. Pagano should have probably been gone last season, but whatever. BOB should be safe just because of the injuries, although I think Houston would be better off without him. John Fox should go as well, but maybe they'll give him another year since Trubisky is a rookie. I think it'd be a bad idea to keep him, though. Koetter is another possibility, but his seat likely isn't as hot as the others mentioned.

There's a huge debate in the Browns forum when it comes to Jackson. He's made some poor decisions, but he has so little to work with offensively. But he's done some stupid things with the quarterbacks and has made some poor in-game decisions. If the Browns go 0-16, it'll be hard to keep him. We all know that the front office is trying to be patient with their rebuild, but it's hard to keep a coach when they actually do worse than 1-15 in their second season. Especially since their defense is talented enough to not go winless. If he wins at least two games (which is far from a sure thing) then his job should be safe.

On 11/8/2017 at 6:10 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

How would you have the hot-seat list, with most likely to be fired at the top? I'd go;

1. Ben McAdoo

I think when you lose the crowd, and seats are empty - you have a problem with the owner. The owner will not tolerate that, and he also won't sit back and take blame without handing out paperwork. Amplified with NYC media. So I think Ben is in danger

2. Chuck Pagano

He's an inherited coach for a start, and has shown no signs of being able to build a team or to eek out results when the chips are down. Plus, he doesn't really have anything about him. At least with Shanahan, he might be 0-8, but he's got that whole QB guru thing going on. What's Chuck aside from the guy that implemented the worst trick play in history? 

3. Dirk Koetter 

4. Hue jacskson

Whether it's a new regime or not, I can't see a front office not reacting to yet ANOTHER desperately poor season. If he finishes well (which means a couple of wins) he will be safe. If he has 0 wins, he will go. 

5-10. Some order from Fox, Caldwell, Ariens, Lewis and BOB?

Bruce Arians is not on the Hot seat. Give him a new qb, A young rookie qb out of the 2018 draft, He will be a star. Arians is a master.

On 11/8/2017 at 12:19 PM, OleXmad said:

BOB's Job is pretty safe considering he lost his star QB and Watt in the same season.

I'm not sure this is the case. Even with those two, his decisions have been in question from jump street - from his decision on declaring Tom Savage the starter out of training camp/preseason to very poor in-game decisions in some questionable losses, he's really showing some poor judgement.

I don't think there's a 9-7 season in store for him to raise on his resume this season, and the growing rift between him and Rick Smith isn't helping matters.

He might not be fired, but I could see both him and the Texans parting ways sooner rather than later.

I hope the Colts hire an offensive minded coach to get Andrew Luck going (assuming his shoulder is fine after the offseason). The front office needs gutted too. I'd say give Hue Jackson one more year to turn it around - find his qb, even though he passed on many. 

On 11/9/2017 at 5:31 AM, OleXmad said:

He probably should be but I doubt the texans want to hire a new HC and hurt Watson's development by forcing him to learn an entirely new offense on top of ACL rehab.

The big piece of Watson's big season was that O'Brien pretty much threw his system away and picked up Dabo Swinney's playbook from Clemson. As long as a HC or OC can do this, they should be able to replicate Watson's success.

Now, if the Texans were to opt for a WCO type coordinator (think Jay Gruden) there could be problems.

Ultimately - BOB should be let go, but will probably get a mulligan on the year.

Guaranteed Goners

Ben McAdoo: With numerous reports of the team quitting on him, his termination could happen at any given moment.

Marvin Lewis: Mike Brown could troll the fanbase by extending him in the offseason, but all signs are pointing to the end of the Lewis era after 14 long seasons. Great guy and has done good for the franchise that has been unappreciated imo, but it's time for a breath of fresh air.

Chuck Pagano: It was a shocker he wasn't canned in the offseason. He won't be so lucky this time around.

On Life Support

Hue Jackson: He's tied to Sashi and DePodesta: he goes if they're gone. 0-16 or another 1-15 will finish them off.

Dirk Koetter: Arguably should be in the guaranteed goners tier. The Bucs have gone all out this offseason and it had the feel of playoffs or bust. He will need a strong second half to keep his job.

John Fox: 2018 is his contract year and doesn't stand a chance at getting extended. He's essentially already a lame duck. The Bears may let him ride out his last year because of Trubisky, but it wouldn't be the least bit shocking if they saw him as a transition coach and let him go come season's end.

Low Heat

Bruce Arians: He and Steve Keim should get a warning for not addressing quarterback in the offseason. With an aging Carson Palmer, to not spend a single draft pick on a quarterback and have Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert as the backups is just poor management.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, everlong said:

John Fox: 2018 is his contract year and doesn't stand a chance at getting extended. He's essentially already a lame duck. The Bears may let him ride out his last year because of Trubisky, but it wouldn't be the least bit shocking if they saw him as a transition coach and let him go come season's end.

This is exactly why Fox should be fired.

Archived