Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

14 minutes ago, brownie man said:

In 2025 they’ll start to get it. 

I'd hope so. You give the Texans the draft picks and Watson the contract of a young top 8 QB who isn't under investigation. Even if he didn't have those issues with what you gave up you better see immediate returns. At least better than 1 playoff win that you were getting before the trade.

So yeah, if we haven't made a playoff run by 2025 we'll get it as much as the new GM and head coach do.

We were 4-44 before our last QB change, we spent a 1st (#1 overall) on him and went .500 over the next 4 years with some ups and downs.

Spend a lot more capital and money on a new QB you better get a lot better results. We were injury riddled and covid riddled the last couple years, including the QB. It may happen again but it won't be used as an excuse because we already had been going through it and still won a playoff game.

I don't care who is at QB or what injuries we have if we don't average more than 10 wins and have an AFCCG appearance after the 2024 season this failed and heads will likely roll.

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Can Jimmy fire himself?

this is a one year issue for someone who will be our franchise qb for over a decade. It’s worth it. 

This is how I’ve viewed the situation from the beginning.

Just ban him a season to please the public. Then you don’t have to worry about anything for the next decade.

Very realistic chance that Watson and Cade York are the only Browns on this team in a decade. That includes players and coaches. Hell, there’s a chance Jimmy sells the team before then.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Very realistic chance that Watson and Cade York are the only Browns on this team in a decade.

I don't think it's realistic that either will be on the team in a decade. Kickers are historically fragile and can lose it all of a sudden and if it's during the season teams can't stick with them through it if they are trying to make a run. Hopefully he never goes through it but odds are he will at some point.

Watson who knows. Odds are he won't be here if he is still in the league. He obviously has issues and who knows if he can overcome those demons. I'd put even odds on him being a Brown vs. being in prison in 10 years. He may learn a lesson professionally (though still come out extremely wealthy and no real battle scars) but not as a man. To be a good person he should have came clean, took his punishment and tried to fix himself (with professional help). He didn't, he lied and acted like a child through it all taking no blame. I don't think he is mature enough to learn from what happened and likely will be in hot water again and if God forbid that it happens, I hope justice is served.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think it's realistic that either will be on the team in a decade. Kickers are historically fragile and can lose it all of a sudden and if it's during the season teams can't stick with them through it if they are trying to make a run. Hopefully he never goes through it but odds are he will at some point.

Watson who knows. Odds are he won't be here if he is still in the league. He obviously has issues and who knows if he can overcome those demons. I'd put even odds on him being a Brown vs. being in prison in 10 years. He may learn a lesson professionally (though still come out extremely wealthy and no real battle scars) but not as a man. To be a good person he should have came clean, took his punishment and tried to fix himself (with professional help). He didn't, he lied and acted like a child through it all taking no blame. I don't think he is mature enough to learn from what happened and likely will be in hot water again and if God forbid that it happens, I hope justice is served.

The conspiracy theorist in me believes special teams as a whole will be completely eliminated in 10-15 years. However, that’s purely because of CTE fears. In 5-7 years we will hear disturbing research on head trauma injuries.

On Watson- You’re 100% right.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The conspiracy theorist in me believes special teams as a whole will be completely eliminated in 10-15 years. However, that’s purely because of CTE fears. In 5-7 years we will hear disturbing research on head trauma injuries.

On Watson- You’re 100% right.

I think we have a lot to learn about CTE and maybe they do something aggressive like eliminate kickoffs and punt returns but I suspect there will always be field goals.

I think if they tested everyone's brain in this forum after we died that there would be signs of CTE in most. Just from taking your first step, playing with other kids, playing sports growing up, accidents through life... there will be some damage done. I know I've probably had enough head trauma that I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some lasting effects. Besides being able to visualize (not head trauma related) my brain still functions fine (says me). Obviously there are more extreme cases but we don't always know the issues these people had prior to their head injuries.

I'm not going anywhere, I just don't know if it's as uncommon among the rest of the world as compared to the NFL as we are led to believe.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think we have a lot to learn about CTE and maybe they do something aggressive like eliminate kickoffs and punt returns but I suspect there will always be field goals.

I think if they tested everyone's brain in this forum after we died that there would be signs of CTE in most. Just from taking your first step, playing with other kids, playing sports growing up, accidents through life... there will be some damage done. I know I've probably had enough head trauma that I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some lasting effects. Besides being able to visualize (not head trauma related) my brain still functions fine (says me). Obviously there are more extreme cases but we don't always know the issues these people had prior to their head injuries.

I'm not going anywhere, I just don't know if it's as uncommon among the rest of the world as compared to the NFL as we are led to believe.

Interesting take. I've wondered if this is being overblown or not, whether the issue is systemic or just really bad when it's bad--Seau etc.

11 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Can Jimmy fire himself?

this is a one year issue for someone who will be our franchise qb for over a decade. It’s worth it. 

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Very realistic chance that Watson and Cade York are the only Browns on this team in a decade.

Zero chance Watson is a Brown past the end of his current contract.

For the people questioning Stefanski. You do realize the excuse for him is already baked in right?

On what planet do you fire a coach that misses their franchise QB for a season? Has that ever happened….?

Hell, if Brissett gets us 8+ wins there’s a better chance Stefanski gets an extension.

Stop being out for blood because of how things went with Baker.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

For the people questioning Stefanski. You do realize the excuse for him is already baked in right?

On what planet do you fire a coach that misses their franchise QB for a season? Has that ever happened….?

Hell, if Brissett gets us 8+ wins there’s a better chance Stefanski gets an extension.

Barring a truly terrible season, Stefanski definitely shouldn't be fired. But you never know when you have Jimmy Haslam as your team's owner.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

The only way he should be fired is if he loses the locker room.

2 hours ago, DawgX said:

Barring a truly terrible season, Stefanski definitely shouldn't be fired. But you never know when you have Jimmy Haslam as your team's owner.

Im reasonably confident Stefanski is the least of the Browns concerns. Its actually nice for a change to not see major coaching/front office turnover every single year. I cant remember the last time the Browns had the same coaching/FO staff in place for 3 consecutive seasons.

Watson is a quitter. I think anyone expecting him to ride with this dysfunctional mess of a franchise through thick and thin is a fool. 

He's going to be looking for the easy way out the second it comes to him. He has KD mentality with a dose of pervert to him. 

And lets not act like having Watson is a guarantee of success.  He's been in the league 5 seasons and his team won 4 games three of those times. There is a real chance we continue to suck and don't win anything meaningful. 

• Like 2