Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

@Dome Yeah, I'm not sure on the money. I think 25 million was Nick Foles 3 years ago.

So if he takes 3 for 96 making it 4 for 115 then maybe?

I guess they can add escalators and incentives for playoffs, pro bowl, etc.

He still gets a payday at age 31 and Carolina gets more value in 4 secure years.  (or 3 years)

Just now, Forge said:

So I'm looking into this and the only thing that makes sense is if the option bonus has guaranteed / locked in, but hasn't been paid. Spotrac doesn't state whether the option date listed is the guaranteed date or the paydate and I'm pretty sure that makes a difference. If Seattle has paid it, they are reponsible for the corresponding cap hit. If it's not been paid, it would be carried over to the new team. 

The date of pick up is noted on the contract terms (2/18/22) however that doesn't necessarily mean it's been paid (bonuses are usually get paid after the new league year at some point) 

Spotrac says the same as OTC.

POST-6/1 TRADE
2022 Dead Cap: $3,800,000
2023 Dead Cap: $11,400,000
2022 Cap Savings: $6,250,000

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The giants took like a 30M cap hit when they traded Odell. It happens. Rebuilding teams want a young asset and picks. They might want to do baker for locket. 

They got futures and fully entered a rebuild. I'm not sure that's what Seattle would be doing here. I don't think that they are trading for Baker to enter a rebuild. Seems to me like they would be trading for Baker because they believe that they can compete? I don't. I don't think Petey wants to do a rebuild at 70, but who knows. 

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Spotrac says the same as OTC.

POST-6/1 TRADE
2022 Dead Cap: $3,800,000
2023 Dead Cap: $11,400,000
2022 Cap Savings: $6,250,000

So it depends on when they pay the option bonus. Once it's been paid, they are stuck with the corresponding cap hit and it would escalate against one year (its a single year lump sum 13M; think of it as a delayed signing bonus). This is what I have found: 

So they have until march 20th to make the payment, which means that they may not have yet...which means that in theory, they could trade him. 

If they can get that done by then, then I could see him get moved for Mayfield financially, though I"m not sure i understand the logic on their end unless they regret the deal. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm confirming with 49erscap just to make sure I have that right. I'm pretty sure I'm correct in how I interpret option bonuses. Niners have been big into using them over the years. 

Yeah i really have no idea, let alone knowing all the different ways teams can adjust it to what they need anyways.

but usually those two sources are on the ball and quick to make adjustments when they're announced (like sometimes minutes)

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

Yeah i really have no idea, let alone knowing all the different ways teams can adjust it to what they need anyways.

but usually those two sources are on the ball and quick to make adjustments when they're announced (like sometimes minutes)

He confirmed I was correct.

So as long as they haven't actually paid the funds, it would transfer to the new team (which is why OTC / Spotrac haven't updated it yet in a trade situation). However, it acts as a delayed signing bonus and counts against the cap in the same way. So if they have paid it, it would immediately hit against this years cap. So if the data I found about the contract details is accurate, then they'd basically have 2 days to trade him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He confirmed I was correct.

So as long as they haven't actually paid the funds, it would transfer to the new team (which is why OTC / Spotrac haven't updated it yet in a trade situation). However, it acts as a delayed signing bonus and counts against the cap in the same way. So if they have paid it, it would immediately hit against this years cap. So if the data I found about the contract details is accurate, then they'd basically have 2 days to trade him. 

That’s almost two weeks in dog years 

Easy 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

Lotta people really overestimating Baker's value here if you think Seattle is giving up Lockett for him in addition to other assets. He's a soon-to-be 27 year old quarterback with a 61% completion rate and 56 interceptions over four years getting paid almost $19 million guaranteed this season. I don't think there are a lot of teams willing to give up more than a third for him. If Cleveland gets a 2nd round pick for him, good on them.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

Lotta people really overestimating Baker's value here if you think Seattle is giving up Lockett for him in addition to other assets. He's a soon-to-be 27 year old quarterback with a 61% completion rate and 56 interceptions over four years getting paid almost $19 million guaranteed this season. I don't think there are a lot of teams willing to give up more than a third for him. If Cleveland gets a 2nd round pick for him, good on them.

This.

Not to mention, there are only a couple teams that would view Baker as a clear upgrade at QB and they know the Browns are not trading him from a strong position.  They have to move him.

• Like 4

I doubt teams will be in a rush to trade for him at this point. He's an unknown quantity in the last year of his deal. Basically you'd get one year with him and that will drive his cost down. Should be no more then a 3rd or 4th. My guess is that they take a wait and see approach. It only benefits the browns to trade him now.

Edited by SHONUFF

I voted NOLA. All that gearing up to make space for Watson, I can't see it used on an expensive Jameis or something along those lines. I feel like Baker with Thomas and Kamara and a defense is playoff/fringe playoff team. I think his ra ra hype leadership style could mature a little bit and fit well there. I think the same sort of maturity growth and chip on his shoulder would also fit well with the Lions under Dan Campbell. I voted Saints though because no QB under contract, and Goff is already a average-low end starter high draft pick pedigree QB under contract. I would think Lions offer a low ball, Saints offer a real offer. I think Indy might make a play out of desperation, but I don't like the fit anywhere near as much.