Root for the Browns

NateDawg

Still on board?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Did you want Watson?

2. 2. Still actively rooting for the Browns?

• Yes
    • No
    • I’m an outsider who roots for another team
    • All-22 revenge

I did not want Watson, partly due to what I thought it would cost us and all his legal issues of his being a scumbag. I rooted for Baker and wanted him to succeed but had mixed feelings at the end of the season as he really just played terribly. I will blame his injury as a big part of it, but it also showed he hasn't really learned how to read a defense and his foot work is terrible once he begins to feel pressure. We've seen other QBs play hurt successfully because of their ability to read the field and can handle pressure in their face.

After seeing Baker's fare well post, I just felt exhausted trying to root for and defend a dude that doesn't have the resume of his peers. Joe Burrow already looked better than Baker with his crappy OLine. Not to get into a comparison debate, but basically, I don't think most people feel confident in building around Baker as they are in building around his peers. 

Watson is a scumbag for what he is accused of and I hope, since he isn't facing criminal charges, he gets whatever else they can throw at him in terms of community service, huge monetary settlements, etc. Watson will also have to deal with this the rest of his life (at least NFL career) and I hope he can learn from this.

As a fan, I will say, that I have never been more excited to see what our offense can be like. I was jealous watching other teams offenses that you knew were never out of the game and comparing the Browns, who often struggled overcoming a 2 score deficit. Now, it looks like we finally have a QB that can make us believe the Browns are never out of the game. We needed this in a conference with Lamar and Burrows.

12 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I’m a teacher and my room is completely decorated in Browns stuff. I’ve got jerseys up, team decals, mementos from games I’ve been to. My classroom looks like a library sports bar.

I’m not so sure I can keep all of those decorations up now. A likely sexual predator was just awarded a massive contract by the team I have loved and likely will always love, but I can’t have my students think that this is a decision I support or that this move should be celebrated. I’m on spring break now, but I’ll need to go in and complete a remodel here in the coming week. 

I don’t think I’m strong enough to not watch the games. It’s the sunken cost fallacy at this point. I want to walk away as a person who should serve as a role model. I want to tell my wife that I can’t throw away my convictions for entertainment, but I don’t think I can do it. I’m one of those people who said I couldn’t root for a Deshaun Watson led team, and I know I can’t. But I can’t also just not see what’s going on. 

It’s been a rough week to be a Browns fan, because I’ve figured out that I don’t have the ability to flip this off like a light switch. This is all a bunch of lame rambling, but I feel like I’m in Cleveland Browns purgatory. It’s a place where winning will bring me no joy so there’s kind of no point in watching? Idk…

My eldest son is also a school teacher, and as I tell him often, you need to be wary of what you do in today's USA. Expressing your opinion or thoughts on a matter with students can get you removed from your position quickly if a parent or two disagree and make issue of it. 

I would say, even if you did support the move you, would be best served taking it all down to avoid the potential fallout with parents. 

Just a shame it had to come to that :(

Edited by pscottdai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JDD said:

Now I get to act like every problem this team has I get to blame Watson and every good thing that happens I get to say it wasn’t 100% him.  

So no different than a lot of folks here for the past few years if you replace Watson's name with Baker.

Totally different reason, same outcome.

10 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

My eldest son is also a school teacher, and as I tell him often, you need to be wary off what you do in today's USA. Expressing your opinion or thoughts on a matter with students can get you removed from your position quickly if a parent or two disagree and make issue of it. 

I would say, even if you did support the move you, would be best served taking it all down to avoid the potential fallout with parents. 

Just a shame it had to come to that :(

What can’t you say in today’s USA? Specifically.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What can’t you say in today’s USA? Specifically.

You can always say whatever you want, just like you can do whatever you want but both can have consequences. 

Pretty much any contentious topic. Many cases of teachers being let go for statements, or matters of opinion in the classroom or on social media that some parents do not agree with. They then make issue with it and teachers get removed. 

I firmly believe in the right of everyone to their opinion but also feel teachers should teach the syllabus, not their opinions.

Like I said, say or do what you want but it can have repercussions. A great comment from an article on the matter: 

"Don’t assume every parent agrees or holds the same ideas as you. You don’t ever want to put yourself in a situation that could have been avoided by following the rules that could ultimately lead to severe discipline or termination. "

Often, those school rules and policies leave room wiggle room for interpretation by the leadership and in the case of Reggie's Browns gear, it would be safer to remove (even though he was going to already due to his beliefs) 

But this is not football related so I will stop discussing it now.

Edited by pscottdai
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah if he fails a comeback attempt we're all over it. If he turns it over twice in a game he is garbage. If his tackles suck and he is sacked at 9.3% it's his fault.

It is going to be interesting because we are going to be having no depth for 3 years with this trade 1 of many football related concerns. 

51 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

It is going to be interesting because we are going to be having no depth for 3 years with this trade 1 of many football related concerns. 

We still have 8 picks this year, and 6 or 7 the years after that. Unless thr FO suddenly forgets how to draft well, we will be more than covered on depth. I know you don't like the move, but I think you are being over the top in relation to the football side. This team is now a legit SB contender and we weren't a week ago. Even if he's suspended part of this year, which Is likely, we will be contenders the rest if this decade. 

On a serious note I'll say this. 

I can understand the resentment anyone could have the team right now.

If Deshaun was going to eventually play in the league again I honestly believe we are the best team for this situation. 

In regards to the victims I think Andrew Berry is the right person to handle this with dignity. He as the right character, and I feel like he will give these women the respect they deserve. If anybody is going to handle this situation with class and integrity its going to be our FO and Coaching staff over anyone that was in the running. We finally have a quality FO, and I believe we are the right FO to handle this is a way where these women will be respected. 

When it comes to Carolina, Atlanta, and NO I dont think any of them have the FO that would handle this better than Andrew will. I think for the Victims sake Deshaun went to the right place. 

If he was going to play again and some team and FO was going to have to work with this situation honestly I believe the Browns with our FO were the best option to handle this with grace and class. I'm not saying they're going to right any wrongs, but moving forward I dont think any of the other teams have someone like Andrew who can see this through in a way where these women will feel respected while Deshaun is being reacclimatized into the league. For the women's sake if he was going to play anywhere I believe the Browns will handle this better than any other team that would've landed Deshaun. 

So for those who are against this I hope you at least try to look at this from that perspective. We've seen Andrew for 5-6 years now and I feel like he's been prepared to handle this the right way. If anybody is going to be in charge of handling this with the utmost respect I believe it's Andrew Berry as well at Stefanski on the field.  

Edited by brownie man

5 minutes ago, brownie man said:

For the women's sake if he was going to play anywhere I believe the Browns will handle this better than any other team that would've landed Deshaun. 

So for those who are against this I hope you at least try to look at this from that perspective. We've seen Andrew for 5-6 years now and I feel like he's been prepared to handle this the right way. If anybody is going to be in charge of handling this with the utmost respect I believe it's Andrew Berry as well at Stefanski on the field.  

Yeah, class act of them to not talk to a single one of the 22 victims while saying they did a ton of homework and due diligence