Eagles Training Camp Thread

Kiltman

Post little tidbits, and news from training camp here.

dixon-75500-f-wp-content-uploads-2017-07

Any big position battles or topics should be and will be branched off into their own threads

Schedule -

Training Camp Opens - Monday, July 24 (quarterbacks, rookies, and selected veterans.)

First full-team practice - Thursday, July 27.

Open practices at The Linc - Saturday, July 29 & Sunday, August 6 . 

Thursday August 10, @ Green Bay
Thursday August 17, vs Buffalo 
Thursday August 24, vs Miami*
Thursday August 31, @ NY Jets

*The Eagles and Miami Dolphins will conduct joint practices at the NovaCare leading up to their preseason game Aug. 24th.

One name I keep seeing reading what scant stories there are out there in this dead period is Marcus Johnson. Who? Exactly.

Who can blame them? Johnson signed with Philadelphia as an undrafted free agent last year. He was nearly invisible in training camp due to an injury he suffered that kept him out for most of the summer.

But Johnson might not just be filler at the wide receiver position. He might actually have a chance to make the team this year. One NFL insider noted the Eagles are “really high on Johnson” and they think he’s had a “very strong offseason.”

Johnson’s point about his underrated athleticism is valid. Most probably don’t realize the 6-1, 204 pound pass catcher posted strong testing numbers. Johnson ran a 4.37 40-yard dash, had a 37-inch vertical leap, and an 11'3 broad jump.

He had first team reps in the prior camps.

Wentz’s best pass during 7-on-7s was dropped – cue the skipping record. Receiver Mack Hollins beat cornerback Mitchell White on a deep post. He had him by a step. And Wentz tossed a laser about 45 yards downfield that hit Hollins in stride. But the rookie saw the ball bounce off his fingertips. “It was a perfect ball,” he said. “I knew I should have had that.”

H/T McLane.

Rookie DE Derek Barnett got an earful from defensive line coach Chris Wilson in one-on-one drills. Wilson was getting on Barnett for not initiating contact soon enough on his inside spin move. Barnett's initial line to the quarterback was too wide, and Wilson wanted Barnett to tighten it up. We'll have more on Barnett soon.

Will be interesting to see how much Barnett can develop in the more technical aspects of pass rushing this offseason. We really need him to make an impact this year for our defense to have a chance.

Cool they are drilling defensive line techniques like that and Wilson is being detailed orientated. I feel lik one of our biggest issues is getting defensive lineman coached up on technique, they have ZERO moves, they just bull rush or try and out bend the guy, how Fletcher Cox at 6'4 has no swim move, makes me want to scream. 

Archived