Eagles Training Camp Thread

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Opposite end of the spectrum. It also allows players to fall through the cracks because no one is cut a week or two earlier? Especially Veteran Players on that chopping block not getting first crack at signing elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

It also doesn't help players find another team if everything is dragged out until the end and puts teams in a bind, if player X is cut and you're already at 53 you have to put him on the active roster over someone else. Teams will have to be considerate and cut a guy immediately to allow them to find work elsewhere. 

22 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Yea, I'm surprised the NFLPA agreed to this. Instead of a slow fill with teams cutting and signing for a couple weeks with players having a lot of options, it's going to be a mad dash to get the best guys who come available. I guess that's good for some teams who are less talented with money but teams that have planned and budgeted are going to get screwed a bit. 

In the NFL PA's defense there normally aren't my surprise cuts in the initial cut to 75. The real shockers come in the final cut. Teams will just have TONS more names to sift through since basically half of the people in the training camps are all going to be cut in one day.

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

In the NFL PA's defense there normally aren't my surprise cuts in the initial cut to 75. The real shockers come in the final cut. Teams will just have TONS more names to sift through since basically half of the people in the training camps are all going to be cut in one day.

Granted. But what about those fringe 75 dudes that get an opportunity and latch on while teams hold onto those fringe 53? Ya know? Now, it just floods the market all at once. I don't know. Seems to be worse for everyone. I'd like to hear the league's reasoning behind it. 

Matt McGloin might be the worst player ever. 

Never liked Caleb Sturgis. If we go a different direction at kicker, i would be happy. 

Pump becoming a big let down, but its ok, he was going to be a project/risk, so we just got to be patient with the little man. 

Lane Johnson -steroids. 

LaGarrette Blount in the words of a wise man name  @BLick12 Blickenston McBlickerson once said "hes a turd".. and he might be right. Maybe physical he isn't right (good/healthy enough to pass a physical, not healthy enough to make a impact) maybe his legs are still recovering/shot from last season, maybe hes the worst fit for this offense and Doug can't figure how how to use him.  I don't know but i been wrong as hell about this guy as of right now. 

3 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

Matt McGloin might be the worst player ever. 

Never liked Caleb Sturgis. If we go a different direction at kicker, i would be happy. 

Pump becoming a big let down, but its ok, he was going to be a project/risk, so we just got to be patient with the little man. 

Lane Johnson -steroids. 

LaGarrette Blount in the words of a wise man name  @BLick12 Blickenston McBlickerson once said "hes a turd".. and he might be right. Maybe physical he isn't right (good/healthy enough to pass a physical, not healthy enough to make a impact) maybe his legs are still recovering/shot from last season, maybe hes the worst fit for this offense and Doug can't figure how how to use him.  I don't know but i been wrong as hell about this guy as of right now. 

Eh, in his defense the blocking in front of him has been absolutely horrendous. But he definitely looks slow.

I mean we know Blount isn't the fastest guy. I don't understand the tosses and pitches to him. He needs to get the ball up the middle. His thing isn't speed, it's not going down on first contact.

With that said preseason playcalling is preseason playcalling.

LOL at people criticizing preseason playcalling. You realize teams call stuff in the preseason that they'll never run in the regular season to throw off early season opponents, right? Blount has been smashing up the middle for how long now? It's not like he needs practice.....

Also "smashing up the middle" 

i2yYun3.gif

14 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

LOL at people criticizing preseason playcalling. You realize teams call stuff in the preseason that they'll never run in the regular season to throw off early season opponents, right? Blount has been smashing up the middle for how long now? It's not like he needs practice.....

Also "smashing up the middle" 

i2yYun3.gif

Glad someone said it. 

At worst, he's the goal line, short yardage back. And that's fine. He didn't come here to be a 1000 yard rusher. As long as Doug uses him in an effective manner, he'll be fine. 

47 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Surprised Robinson is even going to make the team after his TC. 

Surely seems that way. Doesn't it? 

I included him in my 53 man roster prediction, because the coaches bring him up a lot in interviews and he's still been getting first team snaps in the slot.

If that is the case, then I have to wonder if Aaron Grymes or C.J. Smith will make it. I have them going on our practice squad.

I'm in no hurry to rush him back before he's ready but any news or updates on Sidney Jones?

He being short term IR for the 1st 6gms? If so Does/would that open up a roster spot? Or possibly put on the 53 because he's expected to be back before 6?

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm in no hurry to rush him back before he's ready but any news or updates on Sidney Jones?

He being short term IR for the 1st 6gms? If so Does/would that open up a roster spot? Or possibly put on the 53 because he's expected to be back before 6?

Not much news.

I don't think there is any chance he is on the 53 to start the year. 

Can't imagine them rushing him back. 

Good chance he doesn't even play this year now if Darby and Mills are doing a good job.

I mean besides making sure he gets back to 100%. There is another advantage to having him on NFI all year.

The Eagles would be wise to plan on Jones not playing at all in 2017.

Why? As it was astutely pointed out by friend of the site and amateur CBA expert Sam Lynch, if Jones misses all of 2017, he will be a restricted free agent (as opposed to an unrestricted free agent) after 2020.

In Jones' case, the Eagles would have two different options to retain Jones when he is a restricted free agent. They could place either a first- or second-round tender on him. In 2017, a first-round tender cost $3.91 million, while a second-round tender cost $2.746 million. Those figures will rise each year, but will still be far more cost efficient than if Jones were an unrestricted free agent, assuming he's worth keeping.

Jones would be free to negotiate an offer sheet with other teams, which the Eagles would have the ability to match. Should the Eagles choose not to match the offer sheet, allowing the player to leave, they would be compensated with a draft pick from the signing team corresponding to the level of tender placed on the player.

Jones is going to miss the entirety of minicamp, OTAs, training camp, and the preseason. Even if he is able to play in October, as the most optimistic prognoses project, he will be way behind mentally and (likely) physically. It's unlikely he'll be able to come in and help the team substantially at that time.

Therefore, the benefit of controlling his rights cheaply for five years instead of four probably outweigh any gains of Jones playing in 2017.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-would-be-wise-shut-rookie-cb-sidney-jones-down-season/

Your not trying to win preseason games, your just trying stuff and seeing what works and what doesn't with your personnel and playbook, but what the coaches are looking at is situational football and match ups , technique , doing your job-following directions. 

Archived