Jump to content

Jameis Winston resigns for 2 years $28 million (21 million guaranteed)


tyler735
 Share

Recommended Posts

I like this signing. He earned another chance after what he showed last season and comes with far less risk involved than a guy like Watson. We didn't make a long term commitment so we could easily move another direction at QB in the near future if things don't work out, but best case scenario Jameis becomes our guy for the next 5-10 years if he continues to develop in our system and lives up to his potential.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like it. I like what he was doing with the Saints before his injury. If he can keep up that progress, we may have gotten a deal here.
If not, well, even 3rd tier QB's are signing for big money, so this was the best move for both parties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I like it. I like what he was doing with the Saints before his injury. If he can keep up that progress, we may have gotten a deal here.
If not, well, even 3rd tier QB's are signing for big money, so this was the best move for both parties.

I'm excited to see Carmichael running the show. I think he's got the best chance of his career if he wants to showcase how good of an offense he can put together himself. Might be his cherry on top before retirement.

He's had chances when Payton was suspended, sidelined with an ACL tear, or out with COVID... but those were all Payton's offenses still. Allen and Rizzi should bring, at worst, a solid defense and ST corps that will create opportunities for his offense to capitalize on.

Carmichael has a QB with proven arm-talent who is already trending upwards in this offense.

He's got at least one All-Pro talent at RT with 3 first round picks in the middle. Who knows what we will do at LT, but even an average one and we should have a great offensive line. Marrone is likely going to be the o-line coach.

Thomas and Kamara, and to a lesser degree Deonte Harty and Juwan Johnson, are not enough weapons. I bet we trade up for a WR in the draft if we sign a LT, or a LT in the draft if we sign a WR.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dome said:

I'm excited to see Carmichael running the show. I think he's got the best chance of his career if he wants to showcase how good of an offense he can put together himself. Might be his cherry on top before retirement.

He's had chances when Payton was suspended, sidelined with an ACL tear, or out with COVID... but those were all Payton's offenses still. Allen and Rizzi should bring, at worst, a solid defense and ST corps that will create opportunities for his offense to capitalize on.

Carmichael has a QB with proven arm-talent who is already trending upwards in this offense.

He's got at least one All-Pro talent at RT with 3 first round picks in the middle. Who knows what we will do at LT, but even an average one and we should have a great offensive line. Marrone is likely going to be the o-line coach.

Thomas and Kamara, and to a lesser degree Deonte Harty and Juwan Johnson, are not enough weapons. I bet we trade up for a WR in the draft if we sign a LT, or a LT in the draft if we sign a WR.

 

I wouldn't be surprised even if they moved Ramzy to LT and bring in a RT since Ramzy's got the skill to play LT.  I think even if they signed a WR and/or OT they'll look to draft one early IMO.  WR is a little deep for 1st round talent so getting someone like one of the 3* 1st round Ohio State WRs shouldn't be difficult.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Glad we re-signed Winston, but I'm still disappointed that we lost Williams and Armstead. I knew we were losing at least one of them, but losing both (especially Marcus) sucks.

It does suck, and it's a product of not being able to capitalize on the situation we were in, which now has us in the situation we are in.

This team, albeit expensive, was built right, and one play wrecked it (no P.I. call against the Rams). There's no question in my mind that we'd have won that Superbowl, and that's where we blew the bank. Now we're paying for it.

Marcus, yeah, that sucks. I don't like losing Armstead, but he is full on injury prone. I'd almost rather have a mid to high range talent that we can count on than a top talent that misses 3-5 games a year, and "should be back for a strong playoff run".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

It does suck, and it's a product of not being able to capitalize on the situation we were in, which now has us in the situation we are in.

This team, albeit expensive, was built right, and one play wrecked it (no P.I. call against the Rams). There's no question in my mind that we'd have won that Superbowl, and that's where we blew the bank. Now we're paying for it.

Marcus, yeah, that sucks. I don't like losing Armstead, but he is full on injury prone. I'd almost rather have a mid to high range talent that we can count on than a top talent that misses 3-5 games a year, and "should be back for a strong playoff run".

We have replaced good offensive lineman before, but it took us a decade to finally fix our secondary and we just let one of the most important pieces walk. Now we're banking on an injury riddled player (Maye) to replace a great player who rarely missed time since being drafted. I think it's going to be a big blow to our defense.

As for Armstead, I'm not overly concerned about his production on the field. He missed 5-6 games per year and we have a pretty good track record (although it's been shotty lately) of replacing offensive lineman. It's the off the field leadership that I think the team will miss. Sean called him one of the best leaders he's ever been around in his press conference. It's hard to replace that.

Armstead is more replaceable than Marcus. It just sucks losing both when we definitely could've kept one of them.

Edited by JMG5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

And now Winston's backup is The Red Rocket.
It's hard to write that. I've never been against Dalton, and he'll be a better backup than Hill, for sure. And.........

Andy Dalton is the exact opposite of Colin Kaepernick. Lets brace ourselves for another lawsuit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...