Vikings Sign Za’Darius Smith

gopherwrestler

Z did miss the 2021 season but I find it quite promising that he came back for the Packers playoff run and recorded a sack in their divisional round loss to the 49ers.

Edit: Z is not missing the 2022 season

Edited by viking

If Hunter and Smith can both get healthy and actually play together, this could be a scary duo. Maybe as good as Hunter/Griffen during the prime Zimmer years. But injuries are obviously a huge concern. 

Resign Peterson and sign a veteran slot CB, I’d feel better about the defensive going into the draft. Would need to add another CB and keep beefing up the DL.

Edited by vikingsrule

3 year $42 million

Stephon Gilmore who knows how much he will request but hell I would rather have him than Z. Smith if they were the same in price.  

Could have signed Casey Hayward, Rasul Douglas, K'Waun Williams and Anthony Averett for just a little over that amount Z. Smith got.

With the corner situation not sure signing a dude that just came off a massive back injury is a great idea but sure is wonderful if he and Hunter are healthy, they could be awesome.  But I would rather have taken my chances with a veteran corner, giving them the money and having DJ Wonnum and J. Robinson as the opposite edge rusher then draft a guy 2nd, 3rd or 4th round.  

Will be interesting how they address that awful issue at every corner spot.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

3 year $42 million

Stephon Gilmore who knows how much he will request but hell I would rather have him than Z. Smith if they were the same in price.  

Could have signed Casey Hayward, Rasul Douglas, K'Waun Williams and Anthony Averett for just a little over that amount Z. Smith got.

With the corner situation not sure signing a dude that just came off a massive back injury is a great idea but sure is wonderful if he and Hunter are healthy, they could be awesome.  But I would rather have taken my chances with a veteran corner, giving them the money and having DJ Wonnum and J. Robinson as the opposite edge rusher then draft a guy 2nd, 3rd or 4th round.  

Will be interesting how they address that awful issue at every corner spot.  

I don’t mind the move if they can resign P2 and draft a CB.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I don’t mind the move if they can resign P2 and draft a CB.

Yeah sure if they can just keep pulling money out their butt but where are all these roster bonuses they did not pay yet?  There is a limit to it and it is not like that Z. Smith contract is small and Peterson would get what 9-10 mil as well a year.

Still a back injury, that is big time stuff, a back shuts everything down it is not like a torn pectoral like D. Hunter had.  So it is a massive gamble of is he healthy but clearly Pettine and Mike Smith being on staff vouched for him.  But all these Packer ladies better be right because if not they screwed up and lost a ton of money.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah sure if they can just keep pulling money out their butt but where are all these roster bonuses they did not pay yet?  There is a limit to it and it is not like that Z. Smith contract is small and Peterson would get what 9-10 mil as well a year.

Still a back injury, that is big time stuff, a back shuts everything down it is not like a torn pectoral like D. Hunter had.  So it is a massive gamble of is he healthy but clearly Pettine and Mike Smith being on staff vouched for him.  But all these Packer ladies better be right because if not they screwed up and lost a ton of money.  

There’s a good chance none of those guys were even interested in signing here. 

Scouts could favor the CB position to depend on in the draft over the DE for development at #12. 

maybe Kevin and Kwesi and the rest of the staff really do believe in developing the trenches and we go after an interior lineman this year at #12.