Vikings Sign Za’Darius Smith

gopherwrestler

I didn't think he would sign now or for this much, but I love this signing and it made a ton of sense.

We just need to limit his snap count.

Also, it'll be interesting to see the new Edge threshold that the coaching staff has here. Under Andre Patterson, we targeted guys who were 6'5'' 250+ and had good 3 cone numbers I believe.

Will that stay the same with KOC's crew?

Edited by SteelKing728

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

There’s a good chance none of those guys were even interested in signing here. 

Scouts could favor the CB position to depend on in the draft over the DE for development at #12. 

maybe Kevin and Kwesi and the rest of the staff really do believe in developing the trenches and we go after an interior lineman this year at #12.

Zim was a great defensive coach, but I always thought his one weakness was that he neglected the trenches a little too much.  It just doesn't seem like a proper Vikings defense unless you have great players along the D-line.  IOL needs a little work too, but they will probably get to that in time also.

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

There’s a good chance none of those guys were even interested in signing here. 

Scouts could favor the CB position to depend on in the draft over the DE for development at #12. 

maybe Kevin and Kwesi and the rest of the staff really do believe in developing the trenches and we go after an interior lineman this year at #12.

Sure but it is a passing league and the Broncos had a decent D last year without Von Miller most of the time and Bradley Chubb was hurt as well most of the year.  They had a decent D because of their secondary.

Building inside out makes sense, but one could have got two solid veteran corners for that amount they paid him.  But sure he could be outstanding, but I have watched football most of my life and I do not recall many top edge rushers returning equally great off of a back surgery.  Not sure what it was but I assume it was not little deal and could be a habitual problem.

DE Phillips
NT Jordan Davis
DE Tomlinson
OLB D. Hunter
ILB J. Hicks
ILB E. Kendricks
OLB Z. Smith

If they take Jordan Davis with the 12th pick that will be one hell of a front, especially if Hunter and Kendricks adjust to the scheme change well.  Still not sure it would be so awful with the same front just add Wonnum/J.Robinson/Surratt at OLB instead of Z. Smith and have a few veteran corners in the mix but will see.  If the dudes liked Donatell they could have brought in Kyle Fuller and Bryce Callahan but not I assume that is out the window but maybe they will pull money from somewhere.  

32 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hehehe.  I'm going to stick to my Florida team, but there will always be a place in my heart for the purple.  :)

I don’t post all that much but I’ve been on here for many years. Obviously I’ve missed something regarding a Vikings legend on here, Uncle Buck, can someone fill me in? What’s with the Jaguars allegiance? Asking for a friend 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joeybrowner47 said:

I don’t post all that much but I’ve been on here for many years. Obviously I’ve missed something regarding a Vikings legend on here, Uncle Buck, can someone fill me in? What’s with the Jaguars allegiance? Asking for a friend 😉

Hi Joey.  I remember you!  How's life? 

I switched my allegiance to the Jaguars for a few different reasons.  I'm hoping to retire down to that part of the country in the next few years, and they were also going through a total tear down & rebuild (which is something I've wanted the Vikings to do since the end of the 2018 season).  It was just getting a little stale I guess.  I decided to get in on the ground floor with the Jags and see if they can start with a great QB and build everything else up.  They have a lot of work to do, but it has been fun so far.  :)

Good seeing you here on FF again Joey!

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hi Joey.  I remember you!  How's life? 

I switched my allegiance to the Jaguars for a few different reasons.  I'm hoping to retire down to that part of the country in the next few years, and they were also going through a total tear down & rebuild (which is something I've wanted the Vikings to do since the end of the 2018 season).  It was just getting a little stale I guess.  I decided to get in on the ground floor with the Jags and see if they can start with a great QB and build everything else up.  They have a lot of work to do, but it has been fun so far.  :)

Good seeing you here on FF again Joey!

Well I’m glad to hear you’re almost retired.. I’m on the same track! You’re right my friend it has gotten stale, I question why I cheer for this team every year but somehow they always reel me back in. I’ve been saying “just once before I die” for too damn long. Stay well and stay warm.  Skol!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, joeybrowner47 said:

Well I’m glad to hear you’re almost retired.. I’m on the same track! You’re right my friend it has gotten stale, I question why I cheer for this team every year but somehow they always reel me back in. I’ve been saying “just once before I die” for too damn long. Stay well and stay warm.  Skol!!!!

giphy.gif