Vikings Sign Za’Darius Smith

gopherwrestler

24 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

Yes.  The guaranteed money should be less, and end earlier to hedge against a back injury that puts him out for a large portion of a season.

Also the structure of the contract is important, not just the AAV.

Also, certainly back problems can recur, but it also depends upon the nature of the back injury.  Obviously, it was severe enough to require surgery, but it has been 6 months since then and it'll probably be another 5 months until he has to play any significant amount of time.  I believe it's worth the risk. 

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

why does it matter? He's here, he's a Viking and not a Raven. Vikings did something right to convince him to come here.

Depending on how one thinks, the outcome in the end was positive… but the process seems to be odd, why didn’t Vikings maintain or even initiate contact with Z’s agent (before and/or during Free Agency tampering period). Z will likely be our top FA this year, so it may appear we didn’t communicate any potential contract offerings (until after things we already ‘done’ with Baltimore). 

Which is odd since top FAs figures with agents are hush-hush discussed since the combine., in typical practice. Basically it gets to that notion that: did something internally happen since the Cousins extension (a change of direction? / a late request from Hunter that we add a top DE/OLB talent (or he wants out)? / a full push to compete this season?)

In the press conference KAM called it a “competitive rebuild”, so maybe he was pushing the rebuild side, and ownership was pushing the competitive side. Which is why some of the initial moves/information we got seemed contradictory on the surface. KAM confirmed also that he has been receiving lots of calls from ownership (Mark, Zigi, Lenny) regarding direction/updates, so they have been very hands on as I suspected, and KAM was very open about that.

by extension what does that mean for the 1st round draft pick? Try and be Competitive and draft CB? Try and rebuild by taking QB? “Live in both worlds” (as he mentioned) and maybe draft DT/OL?

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I said sauce during bowl season. I love sauce. I believe it was @Ozzythat still favored Stingley at that point. I will admit it’s still close. Stingley when healthy is dominate

That was awhile back, Gardner did well in his workout and at the combine and until Stingley shows he is physically healthy I would say Sauce Gardner is ahead of him easily right now.  I still would be shocked if Stingley or Gardner are there at 12.  I have Seattle and the Panthers getting Gardner and Stingley right now.  

Will be curious how Stingley does at his pro day.  

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Depending on how one thinks, the outcome in the end was positive… but the process seems to be odd, why didn’t Vikings maintain or even initiate contact with Z’s agent (before and/or during Free Agency tampering period). Z will likely be our top FA this year, so it may appear we didn’t communicate any potential contract offerings (until after things we already ‘done’ with Baltimore). 

Which is odd since top FAs figures with agents are hush-hush discussed since the combine., in typical practice. Basically it gets to that notion that: did something internally happen since the Cousins extension (a change of direction? / a late request from Hunter that we add a top DE/OLB talent (or he wants out)? / a full push to compete this season?)

In the press conference KAM called it a “competitive rebuild”, so maybe he was pushing the rebuild side, and ownership was pushing the competitive side. Which is why some of the initial moves/information we got seemed contradictory on the surface. KAM confirmed also that he has been receiving lots of calls from ownership (Mark, Zigi, Lenny) regarding direction/updates, so they have been very hands on as I suspected, and KAM was very open about that.

by extension what does that mean for the 1st round draft pick? Try and be Competitive and draft CB? Try and rebuild by taking QB? “Live in both worlds” (as he mentioned) and maybe draft DT/OL?

I think it will depend upon whether or not one of the Top 3 CBs fall to #12.  We're so short on draft choices with so many needs to fill, that paying draft capital to move up is probably out of the question.  IF Stingley, Gardner, or McDuffie fall to #12, The Vikings will probably take whichever of them it is.  They will still probably need 2 others from this draft.  They won't likely take an edge rusher with their #1 with Za'Darius Smith and Danielle in place, and Jones, Robinson Lynch, and Wonnum already on the roster, and needing 2 CBs in relatively high rounds, and still needing a centre.  They might take an edge rusher in The 2nd or 3rd, but they also need a LB in a relatively high round, as well.  If TWO of the 3 CBs are still on the board at 12, they might look to move back, hoping to still have access to the 3rd one, to try and pick up an extra late 2nd or early 3rd Rounder.  It's going to be interesting for sure to see what other secondary FA they pick up before the draft, and then to watch the draft, and then see who they pick up after the draft and when the first roster cuts are made.  The Vikings' depth is so slim, that they will likely add a couple of cuts from other teams just to fill out the roster.

Adofo-Mensah said Wednesday that he has no qualms about Smith's health going forward:

"He rehabbed his back, came back and played in the playoff game. I don't know if people remember that. Fully passed our physical. Everything looks great. I can't see him being any stronger. No, we're not worried about his health. We're excited to have him."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kwesi-adofo-mensah-zadarius-smith-danielle-hunter-free-agency

Smith: "I went to Los Angeles, got surgery done with my doctor. One of the best doctors out there. Completed the surgery. I don't know too many people who come back from back surgery, but I came back in four months, got a chance to practice for three weeks before that playoff game. As you can see, I'm as healthy as ever. Just did my physical. Everything's clear. So excited man. Back is good."

https://www.vikings.com/news/za-darius-smith-ready-to-form-best-duo-with-danielle-hunter

Edited by vike daddy

In 2020,Smith lined up had 328 snaps at the right outside linebacker spot and lined up 293 times at left outside linebacker. But he also moved up and down the line, including spending time at defensive tackle.

Smith: "I didn't even know I had that in me. Mike Pettine did. He saw it before I even saw it. He made situations for me where he could create 1-on-1s, for me basically to go 1-on-1 up on the center, or up on the guard or on the tackle. It's big for me to move around like that. I can go now watch film on each guy and pick the weakest link, you know. I'm just happy that Coach Mike Pettine drew that up and for that to be a Rover position that I can dominate at if so, if they run that here in Minnesota."

https://www.vikings.com/news/za-darius-smith-ready-to-form-best-duo-with-danielle-hunter

Here is Hunter's contract, per a source with knowledge of the terms:

1. Signing bonus: $5 million.

2. 2022 base salary: $1.45 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2022 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

4. 2023 base salary: $9.45 million, $5.05 million of which becomes fully guaranteed in 2023.

5. 2023 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

6. 2024 90-man roster bonus: $2.5 million.

7. 2024 base salary: $14.45 million.

8. 2024 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

9. 2022-24 workout bonus: $50,000.

The deal also includes incentives for 2022 and 2023. The 2022 package in each season consists of $500,000 for 8.5 sacks or $750,000 for 10.5 sacks or $1 million for 12.5 sacks. In 2023, it’s $1.5 million for 8.5 sacks or $3 million for 10.5 sacks or $4 million for 12.5 sacks.

It’s really a one-year, $9.5 million contract, nearly a third of which is tied to Smith being able to play in every game. At the very best, it’s a two-year, $22 million deal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/24/inside-the-zadarius-smith-deal/

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Here is Hunter's contract, per a source with knowledge of the terms:

1. Signing bonus: $5 million.

2. 2022 base salary: $1.45 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2022 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

4. 2023 base salary: $9.45 million, $5.05 million of which becomes fully guaranteed in 2023.

5. 2023 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

6. 2024 90-man roster bonus: $2.5 million.

7. 2024 base salary: $14.45 million.

8. 2024 per-game roster bonus: $3 million ($176,470 per game).

9. 2022-24 workout bonus: $50,000.

The deal also includes incentives for 2022 and 2023. The 2022 package in each season consists of $500,000 for 8.5 sacks or $750,000 for 10.5 sacks or $1 million for 12.5 sacks. In 2023, it’s $1.5 million for 8.5 sacks or $3 million for 10.5 sacks or $4 million for 12.5 sacks.

It’s really a one-year, $9.5 million contract, nearly a third of which is tied to Smith being able to play in every game. At the very best, it’s a two-year, $22 million deal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/24/inside-the-zadarius-smith-deal/

So, The Vikings got the safety net against the possibility of Smith re-injuring his back.  So, I feel a LOT better about the deal now.  If he stays healthy and plays well, we'll have no problem paying him an average of $15.7 million over 3 years.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:58 AM, Uncle Buck said:

Thanks buddy.  I'll poke my head in here from time to time. 

Here's a question for you:  If Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley are both there at #12, who would you take?  A few months ago, Stingley was the concensus #1 CB in the draft, but it seems like Sauce has caught up to him on a lot of mocks.

I still want Stingley

• Like 1