DC Movie Universe

devils1854

And that’s what I mean by burnout. Infinity War Part 1 had a budget of $316m. Assuming the second will be just as big, if not bigger we’re talking about $650m. They will EASILY make that money back. But if phase 4 disappoints after there’s no longer a Thanos on the horizon and some of the more popular of the original cast is retired off, the big movie ensemble might not be of as high a quality. Now phase 5&6 pass and by the end of it, the films are Transformers level and can no longer be trusted to generate positive performance as much. They have to go from 3-4 movies a year to 1-2 movies. Just because people are still “eating cake” does not mean people are not “eating pie” at record breaking levels. Thus Disney will then adjust their slate of films to cater to “pie eaters.”

Edited by diamondbull424

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Most film studios will only receive about 15% of international box office dollars.

This number is extremely exaggerated. They for sure make less than the clip that is made on the Domestic Box office, but it is more like 30-40% not 15%. Especially on a film like Transformers.

Your thinking is antiquated if you arent considering the international Box office when judging the success of a film. That landscape has shifted dramatically in the past 5-ish years.

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

In terms of Peter Jackson, if DC is smart, I would have him working on the Constantine franchise. He’s done an excellent job of handling dark fantasy storylines and if Constantine succeeds as a movie, you have a whole world of Justice League Dark type movies that can be explored that would completely set it apart from what Marvel is producing.

Pretty soon people will start to burnout with “marvel” movies, just like people burned out with Vampires (Twilight) and Magic (Harry Potter). So in the wake of the inevitable Marvel burnout, it would be smart to capitalize on a different appeal. I would attempt to parallel the struggle between good and evil in Constantine and make it analogous to the struggle of good and evil that we saw with LOTRs vs Sauron.

It would be a “superhero” tale spearheaded by a C-lister MAYBE B-lister character in Constantine that could reintroduce characters like The Swamp Thing into movie relevance.

Constantine getting a Peter Jackson diretcted film would be amazing, they'll never do it with Matt Ryan but I can dream. 

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

You don't burnout from good films. The Harry Potter series ended and Twilight was trash. Marvel isn't just going to go away if they keep delivering.

You do, everything burns out eventually but Marvel isn't gonna stop for a long long time if their last three films are any indication. 

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Shazam got a movie because Dwayne Johnson wanted to be Black Adam, and the only way to shoehorn that in is to actually do a Shazam movie. I know he supposedly isnt in the 'Shazam!' movie at this point, but in order to get to Black Adam, you have to go through Shazam.

That totally slipped my mind, that was probably the main reason but I still think Captain Marvel getting a movie in 2019 was also a slight part. Probably wrong but eh.

56 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This number is extremely exaggerated. They for sure make less than the clip that is made on the Domestic Box office, but it is more like 30-40% not 15%. Especially on a film like Transformers.

Your thinking is antiquated if you arent considering the international Box office when judging the success of a film. That landscape has shifted dramatically in the past 5-ish years.

First off my math was 25% for those Transformers totals. Second of all cite me these sources of 30-40%. Without that, you can cease your argument here. On the other end, here are my sources for all to see.

That’s of grave concern when China is often the biggest market for American movies — and one that provides only 25% of its revenue to studios.

25% box office take

Hollywood also wants to receive a bigger portion of ticket sales. Studios receive about 50 percent of box-office revenue in the United States, but China allows foreign companies to receive only a 25 percent cut. Studios have asked for closer to 40 percent.

25% cut in China

The above information comes from indiewire and the New York Times. Oh and I don’t think I need to mention this, but China is second only to the US in box office gross.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, DingoLadd said:

Constantine getting a Peter Jackson diretcted film would be amazing, they'll never do it with Matt Ryan but I can dream. 

You do, everything burns out eventually but Marvel isn't gonna stop for a long long time if their last three films are any indication. 

That totally slipped my mind, that was probably the main reason but I still think Captain Marvel getting a movie in 2019 was also a slight part. Probably wrong but eh.

And the smartest strategy they can do. Either that or Doctor Fate.

They're at a pivotal point where they need to differentiate their product from Marvel a bit.

Dr. Fate gives you some of that “Mummies” element with his backstory and would also pair pretty well with the Black Adam and Shazam introductions. Now you have three characters in the DCU that give you access to “magic”.

Whereas Constantine and the JLD can provide adult content and they can brand DC as “adult oriented” while Marvel is more “kid oriented”. This could differentiate them from Marvel as Marvel currently doesn’t have a team quite as notable in their lineup for that focus, plus utilizing them kind of goes against the current MCU formula.

But other than Flash literally rewinding time and using that as a means to competently restart the DCU, I’m not sure how they can fix the Justice League side of things. Well it would start with a better story, but I suppose my definition of “good” story is different than most.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Transformers movies get made because of toys Im guessing

Yup. At first it was likely for toys and actual box office success. But they’re now likely losing money at the box office given the production budget and an advertising budget to follow. But they definitely make that up in toy sales.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I suppose it's better than just plain Wonder Woman 2, but still a pretty blah title.

Just thought of this. But 1984 was the famous book written by George Orwell. I wonder if this Wonder Woman movie might be tying its narrative to that book in some way.