DC Movie Universe

devils1854

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Until the MCU stumbles badly, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Until the DCEU actually delivers on the promise for more than 1 movie at a time beyond "OK/not bad", they deserve our skepticism.  And given they are sticking with the idea that some movies are part of arcs while others are more standalone (Joker), well, I'll not get my hopes up.   Not after the atrocity that was Suicide Squad and Justice League.    

It just pains me that the DC comic verse is so much deeper than the MCU, but fool me 5x.....

Agreed on everything.  

Its pathetic how out of touch they are with what fans want and how to use these amazing characters.   I dont even dislike the DCEU as much as some, but being a DC fan now is like being a Pirates fan...you can get your hopes up all you want, but you're likely never gonna get anything special and usually settling for mediocrity.

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

R definitely gives me more hope for the movie, but Im still not excited.   I cant get excited for DC movies anymore.    All they do is let me down.  

Its better to go in with middling expectations and hopefully be pleasantly surprised like I was with Aquaman.  

After Wonder Woman and Aquaman (haven't seen Shazam yet), I have SOME degree of optimism for an R-rated Joker, but then the other part of my brain still can't forget them fudging up 4 films in a row and keep those expectations in check.

They seem to have hit their stride with standalone movies that aren't made with crossovers in mind, so I'm leaning on the side of optimism for this, but you can never put it past WB to eff up any one of their films after MoS/BvS/Suicide Squad/Justice League, especially since, when they finally start getting things right, they proceed to follow it up by doing something stupid again like announcing a TRENCH movie and potentially rebooting Batman for the THIRD time with years of backstory left to tell on the current iteration and a younger actor conveniently replacing Affleck. Oh, and the rumored Joker plot twist, which I'm sure you've all read about and facepalmed yourself at by now.

Edited by KManX89

3 hours ago, KManX89 said:

After Wonder Woman and Aquaman (haven't seen Shazam yet), I have SOME degree of optimism for an R-rated Joker, but then the other part of my brain still can't forget them fudging up 4 films in a row and keep those expectations in check.

They seem to have hit their stride with standalone movies that aren't made with crossovers in mind, so I'm leaning on the side of optimism for this, but you can never put it past WB to eff up any one of their films after MoS/BvS/Suicide Squad/Justice League, especially since, when they finally start getting things right, they proceed to follow it up by doing something stupid again like announcing a TRENCH movie and potentially rebooting Batman for the THIRD time with years of backstory left to tell on the current iteration and a younger actor conveniently replacing Affleck. Oh, and the rumored Joker plot twist, which I'm sure you've all read about and facepalmed yourself at by now.

Go see Shazam, it’s basically a modern version of the Raimi Spider-Man films. Random horror scene dropped in the middle of the movie and all.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:11 PM, Deadpulse said:

I picture the pg-13 rating has a movie that studious put creative handcuffs on and R ratings movies that have complete freedom. Always better to have complete freedom, however if the creative team is crap then none of that matters. 

Pretty much this. I'm not one to advocate for R ratings just for the sake of it (I already said Star Trek's supposed R rating makes no sense) nor will it guarantee a good film, but for a movie like this, your best bet is to go all out. 

On 6/23/2019 at 9:07 AM, KManX89 said:

Pretty much this. I'm not one to advocate for R ratings just for the sake of it (I already said Star Trek's supposed R rating makes no sense) nor will it guarantee a good film, but for a movie like this, your best bet is to go all out. 

I agree in general....but an R rating makes much more sense for Joker, who can be excessively violent, than it does for Star Trek, where an R rating makes no sense and is laughably unnecessary.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:58 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree in general....but an R rating makes much more sense for Joker, who can be excessively violent, than it does for Star Trek, where an R rating makes no sense and is laughably unnecessary.

Especially a Joker origin movie with a descent into madness storyline behind it, which ups the ante in terms of adult material. To get the full scope of that, you need to go R.

Okay what’s the deal with this outrage over wanting to release the Snyder cut of Justice League?  I remember so many ppl hated Man of Steel and REALLY hated BvS.  They hated Snyder for them both.  So why do they want this cut?   And how does he even have a cut when he left the project and Joss Whedon had to finish the movie?

Edited by thrILL!

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Okay what’s the deal with this outrage over wanting to release the Snyder cut of Justice League?  I remember so many ppl hated Man of Steel and REALLY hated BvS.  They hated Snyder for them both.  So why do they want this cut?   And how does he even have a cut when he left the project and Joss Whedon had to finish the movie?

A lot of people also really liked Man of Steel.

Snyder's cut of BvS was much better received than the theatrical cut. Pretty much all of Snyder's director's cuts are superior than their theatrical releases.

Justice League was awful because it was a 50-50 split from 2 completely different directors.

Snyder finished principal photography and was in post-production before leaving. Whedon didn't finish anything; he and the studio re-shot about half the movie.

Edited by seminoles1

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Snyder's cut of BvS was much better received than the theatrical cut. Pretty much all of Snyder's director's cuts are superior than their theatrical releases.

Justice League was awful because it was a 50-50 split from 2 completely different directors.

Snyder finished principal photography and was in post-production before leaving. Whedon didn't finish anything; he and the studio re-shot about half the movie.

I loved Man of Steel including the ending which is a highly unpopular opinion.  I’ve got the blu-ray of BvS and it has an extended cut with a ton of more footage.  It doesn’t refer to it as a director’s cut so I’m not sure if that’s the same one.

I would imagine if they reshot that much of the JL movie that a good chunk of Snyder’s original sequences weren’t finished in post-production if he left during it.  That would mean unfinished CGI which would also compromise any cut of his.  Watching pre-vis inserts in special features is one thing but in the actual movie it kills suspension of disbelief.  

Honestly, JL had so many problems I’m not sure any cut could salvage it. 

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I wouldn't call the R-rated extend cut of BvS much better received than the theatrical cut. The story does make more sense and flows better with these new scenes added (which BTW, had to be cut to avoid an R rating, including an important body-burning scene in Africa), but all of the same problems are still very much there. You can't fix Jesse Eisenberg as Lex or the convoluted "Martha" scene, those still stick out like a sore thumb.

43 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He looks like an idiot when he runs.

Agreed...but I dont know if that was his fault or how they wanted the running within the speed force to look.

I simply wasnt a fan of anything about him as Flash.  Much like Eisenberg as Lex, it felt like a square peg pounded into a round hole.  And I am someone who admitted being wrong about Affleck and Gadot, so I'm not just hating on DC.  Outside of those two, the casting has been fine IMO.

Edited by FourThreeMafia