DC Movie Universe

devils1854

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Two notes....

1) That seems a little exaggerated.   I know he wasnt super popular, but as a casual fan, I knew far more about Iron Man than Blue Beetle.   Honestly, I probably never even heard of Blue Beetle until recent years.  Maybe Cyborg is a better comparison?    Not sure.

2) Even if Iron Man wasnt that popular, he is the guy they chose to build around from the beginning, and they set all the characters up nicely.  They were the foundation.   In the DCEU, they chose to build around their top characters (rightfully so), but didnt do a great job, and now, they are trying to set up new characters not many people know, despite not having done well with the key characters.   I have to imagine thats going to turn people away.

Yeah, Blue Beetle is way further down the DC totem pole than Iron Man was for Marvel. Blue Beetle didn't even join DC until like 20 years ago. Barely ever been a Justice Leaguer. Not really publicly known, and I'd guess anyone who isn't a comics fan who knows him probably doesn't know the current iteration. Iron Man would be more in line with Green Arrow (pre-CW show) or Cyborg recently or MM or something. Someone not super popular solo, but a pretty consistent member of the universe's main team up, and a regular player in large events. Iron Man certainly had the backseat to Spidey or Wolverine or Cap, but he was a founding Avenger, he was in Civil War just a year or two before the movie came out, and he's been around for ages. Like 550 issues of Iron Man compared to like 150 of Blue Beetle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, Blue Beetle is way further down the DC totem pole than Iron Man was for Marvel. Blue Beetle didn't even join DC until like 20 years ago. Barely ever been a Justice Leaguer. Not really publicly known, and I'd guess anyone who isn't a comics fan who knows him probably doesn't know the current iteration. Iron Man would be more in line with Green Arrow (pre-CW show) or Cyborg recently or MM or something. Someone not super popular solo, but a pretty consistent member of the universe's main team up, and a regular player in large events. Iron Man certainly had the backseat to Spidey or Wolverine or Cap, but he was a founding Avenger, he was in Civil War just a year or two before the movie came out, and he's been around for ages. Like 550 issues of Iron Man compared to like 150 of Blue Beetle.

Agreed.   I wasnt sure who to compare him to in terms of exposure, but pre-CW Green Arrow seems like a good comparison.

And as you said, Iron Man was still a staple of the Avengers.   Even if he wsant on the level of Batman and Superman in popularity terms, he was still a key character in the original Avengers.   Blue Beetle is part of the very extended Justice League.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Two things....

1) I wont be shocked if he comes back for another DC movie....just not Batgirl.   They should think about bringing him in for say....The Flash

2) WB shouldnt even be thinking about Batgirl until they fix the real issues with their current cinematic universe.   But considering they are already prepped to do Shazam and a disconnected Joker origin film, it just shows WB doesnt really know what they are doing or what fans want.    They seem to value quantity over quality, and thats why I dont have much faith in seeing DC represented well going forward.   There might be some good INDIVIDUAL movies, but I dont think they are bright enough to form a cohesive and interesting narrative within a universe over the span of numerous movies  

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Two things....

1) I wont be shocked if he comes back for another DC movie....just not Batgirl.   They should think about bringing him in for say....The Flash

2) WB shouldnt even be thinking about Batgirl until they fix the real issues with their current cinematic universe.   But considering they are already prepped to do Shazam and a disconnected Joker origin film, it just shows WB doesnt really know what they are doing or what fans want.    They seem to value quantity over quality, and thats why I dont have much faith in seeing DC represented well going forward.   There might be some good INDIVIDUAL movies, but I dont think they are bright enough to form a cohesive and interesting narrative within a universe over the span of numerous movies  

They already have directors for Flashpoint.

59 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Joss Whedon probably had the word butt in his script 57 times, but also had Batgirl fighting social justice warriors instead of an actual villain.  Title was probably Batgirl versus the Patriarchy. 

You are incorrect sir.

Batgirl was to going to be in hot pursuit of the legendary villain known as Wagegap.....only to find out by the end of the film that the villain never actually existed.    

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Joss Whedon probably had the word butt in his script 57 times, but also had Batgirl fighting social justice issues instead of an actual villain.  Title was probably Batgirl versus the Patriarchy. 

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You are incorrect sir.

Batgirl was to going to be in hot pursuit of the legendary villain known as Wagegap.....only to find out by the end of the film that the villain never actually existed.    

I believe masking whining in sarcasm still makes it whining.

Yall just as bad as whiney SJW

To add to the Batgirl news, I agree with FTM in that they need to fix the universe first. Hopefully they do flashpoint properly

Just now, ohiogenius said:

To add to the Batgirl news, I agree with FTM in that they need to fix the universe first. Hopefully they do flashpoint properly

Wouldn't this just mean you're whining about whining about whining, which would make what you're whining about a notch worse? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Wouldn't this just mean you're whining about whining about whining, which would make what you're whining about a notch worse? 

I was more going for comparison of two groups/pointing out similarity.

But if we look at it from your perspective, I would say its on par at best

I understand why Joss is off this, and honestly like alot of the other stuff, I just done care anymore.

Until they give us something good, It doesnt matter to me anymore. They broke me with the Joker thing, and until they make me care again, Ill just live in my own fantasy head cannon of the Gotham-verse that is full of amazing stories that would kill it on the big screen.

Ill never get to see it but the GCU would be amazing

4 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

It was a joke about an absolutely pathetic argument that certain clueless people attempt to make.  Not sure why it triggered you so much, unless....

21 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It was a joke about an absolutely pathetic argument that certain clueless people attempt to make.  Not sure why it triggered you so much, unless....

Pointing out how both extremes are equally bad generally doesn't qualify as triggered. 

Also wage gap argument is extremely simplified (not accurate with the nuances of the topic) with the 86 cents to the dollar thing but to say things like 'it never existed' is laughably ignorant. Im going to assume you are open minded so ill just post a link to a well researched article on the topic so we dont have to further derail this thread. By no means is it a end all be all as it left out some stuff that would strengthen its point but its worth a read

https://www.vox.com/2017/9/8/16268362/gender-wage-gap-explained

8 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

Pointing out how both extremes are equally bad generally doesn't qualify as triggered. 

Also wage gap argument is extremely simplified (not accurate with the nuances of the topic) with the 86 cents to the dollar thing but to say things like 'it never existed' is laughably ignorant. Im going to assume you are open minded so ill just post a link to a well researched article on the topic so we dont have to further derail this thread. By no means is it a end all be all as it left out some stuff that would strengthen its point but its worth a read

I'm not triggered, but let me delve into the wage gap more... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

Cant really get into a huge discussion about this, and I dont want to hijack the thread, but...

1) Didnt mean to say there was NEVER a wage gap at any point.   Im saying it doesnt exist today in the CIVILIZED world....at least not in the way that certain group pushes it.

2) Yes, Im open minded, but that article is so logically flawed and bias (as are all Vox articles).   Much of the argument being made in that article revolves around this.....

The highest-paying jobs disproportionately reward those who can work the longest, least flexible hours.

These types of job penalize workers who have caregiving responsibilities outside the workplace. Those workers tend to be women.

Can you not see how terrible this argument is?    I would be happy to get into why, but I hope you can see it for yourself.

3)  This is a much better article on the matter....

http://www.aei.org/publication/there-really-is-no-gender-wage-gap-there-is-a-gender-earnings-gap-but-paying-women-well-wont-close-that-gap/

And umm.....Batman.

Edited by FourThreeMafia