DC Movie Universe

devils1854

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Fresh Prince said:

TDK is only great because of ledgers performance, other than that it’s not that good.

Eh, that's taking it a little far.  I was a proponent that Batman Begins was the better movie even right after the TDK came out, but there are still several very good to great aspects of TDK.

• Michael Caine is tremendous as Alfred in all 3 movies, but I think he's best in TDK
  • The discussion on security vs privacy and the ramifications involved is a pretty nuanced argument for a comic book movie
  • Hans Zimmer's score is amazing and keeps the movie brimming with tension throughout.  After Gladiator I could argue that this is the 2nd best score of Zimmer's catalog.
  • While I think Eckhart's turn as TwoFace was a little over the top, I though he nailed his role as Harvey Dent pre-tragedy
  • Gary Oldman was good throughout the series because he's Gary Oldman.
  • Like 8

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, kingseanjohn said:

For those interested, the HEAVY spoilers below. These will "ruin the movie" if you look....

Reveal hidden contents

[/spoilers]

There's more info out there but these are the biggest ones people are complaining about.

My god that is a mess.  I was pretty much out from the start, but this is even worse than I could have imagined.

• Like 1

“It’s a fabulous film,” said Vicente. “We all love it.”

“We went in not knowing exactly what to expect, but it is a really original vision of this character,” said Bailey. “It’s not based on existing DC canonical work and so that allows Todd Phillips to go in a new direction. And Joaquin Phoenix is just phenomenal in it.

“But the other thing I would say is that as a festival, we have often launched films that are going to go on to big commercial lives,” Bailey said. “And I think this year you would also maybe include ‘Ford v Ferrari’ in that and ‘Hustlers’ and some other films that are going to be presented to the widest possible audience. But they also are films of high artistic merit. And that’s why they’re here.”

joker is debuting at TIFF in September

has a 122 minute runtime

https://www.tiff.net/events/joker

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Which would have been awesome...if done right.

Lets face it, the DCEU is dead.     They still have no plan in regards to connecting the universe.   The Joker movie isnt connected.    The Birds of Prey movie sounds like a laughable disaster at this point if some reports turn out to be true.     

The only thing I am even remotely looking forward to is Batman, but I have a feeling its going to be disappointing.   Not so much because of Pattinson, but because I havent really liked what Ive heard of Reeves supposed vision....but its Batman, so Ill give it a chance no matter what. 

Edited by FourThreeMafia

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

so Ill give it a chance no matter what. 

Please remember the rest of us in this plan.  If it is universally panned at release, please sneak into the theater if you insist on a theatrical viewing.  Or be like me and wait for Netflix. 

We have to band together to kill the DCEU. 

Make fun of me all you want on the effect of boycotting things, but the sales in Madden are proof that it can have an impact. 

DC does not deserve your support until they start caring about you. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Lets face it, the DCEU is dead.   

I feel like its very few (but a good number in the thread) who have yet to actually accept this to already be true...

There is no more connected universe, it just seems obvious to me at this point. They arent trying to make all of these connections like they were before. Shazam was the last one to do it, but that was made in the midst of WB hanging on for dear life. And honestly, when they make Black Adam and another Shazam they can just ignore those things, as they never actually showed any of the other characters. Its fine to acknowledge there are other Superheros in the world, that doesnt mean everything is connected in a universe.

The last bits out there (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Harley Quinn) are just WB cashing in on what was actually popular. Now if suddenly WW84 has a bunch of ties back to present day Justice League film, or Leto's Joker shows up in Birds of Prey, then Ill admit Im wrong. But at this time, where none of that seems likely, These are just WB being a smart company and cashing in on the existing properties that made money and people were excited about. You dont just waste two of the newest Female stars, and the Female character that got Popular Culture buzzing in Gadot and Robbie, more than any Female ole that the MCU put out in 2 decades. That would just be irresponsible. 

WB/DC isnt trying to connect these right now, so we might as well stop it also. That is what is keeping this idea alive, fans treating them as still the DCEU. Treat them as just DC owned properties and it will be fine.We arent getting a true DC Film Universe for a while, it probably needs a full decade to separate itself from the stench of Snyder and the rest, which would probably put it right at the end of what Im assuming will be a Reeves Batman Trilogy if they are successful. Allowing Pattinson's Batman, now in his Prime playing mid/late 30s, to step right in with a whole new lineup of the Justice League.

(As I was typing this out I remembered New Gods, which would possibly be the last vestage of WB trying to salvage a DCEU. But Honestly I dont think they have expectations there. I think they god Ava Duverney interested in something she wanted to do, wrote her a blank check, and told her to run wild. Which isnt a bad idea on its own. But I think it will just end op as one of those weird, forgotten movies that people dont really talk about because it was neither great, nor awful, but doesnt do well enough at the Bocx Office to do any type of follow up to. Like a John Carter, but better ticket sales)

On 7/23/2019 at 5:02 PM, seminoles1 said:

Matt McGloin from Cosmic Book News is claiming that JJ Abrams is writing and directing a Superman movie and is at least writing and maybe directing a Green Lantern movie.

This was apparently part of the deal when Warner Bros. bought Bad Robot.

Huge grain of salt obviously.

Meh.  Extremely overrated director...but not like the DCEU is going anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

From SuperHeroHype:

It’s not unusual for a big budget superhero film to undergo reshoots. But it is rare to recruit one of the top action directors in Hollywood for new second unit action scenes. According to The Hollywood Reporter, John Wick director Chad Stahelski is taking an uncredited role in Birds of Prey to beef up the action sequences.

More specifically, Stahelski is working with the second unit to “tackle and design new action scenes for the movie.” Stahelski will be working with Cathy Yan, the director of Birds of Prey, in part because this is her first superhero action film. As for Stahelski, he co-directed John Wick with David Leitch, and solo directed the two sequels. His company, 87 Eleven, has been handling the stunts for Birds of Prey since the beginning of production..

This movie really is going to be a trainwreck.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 8:49 AM, THE DUKE said:

Gary Oldman was good throughout the series because he's Gary Oldman.

Agreed, but TDK was Oldman at the absolute top of his game. Batman Begins was a bit of a "goofy sidekick" role, with the whole interactions with the Tumbler, TDK:R was Oldman/Gordon as the psuedo Alfred role, the voice of wisdom and reason to John Blake all while justifying his own dirt...

TDK? Oldman/Gordon knew the score and was on top of the plan from jump street. Faking his own death, breaking out the shotgun while transporting Dent, transporting Coleman Reese - in every moment of truth, Gordon was standing at the center of it, and Oldman killed it each time.

Granted, a lot of this is the writing of the character - Oldman delivers in each one, regardless of writing. But TDK? He killed it. Of all the performances in that movie (and just about every one was nothing short of great) Oldman stands out as the best - even over Ledger, IMO.

• Like 1