DC Movie Universe

devils1854

Also, the Snyder Cut is roughly 4 hours, which Snyder's original film apparently was.

So it just might be his original cut with none of the Whedon footage in there that just happens to be nearing 4 hours, hence a completely different movie.

I still don't have high hopes regardless, but again, we'll at least see what was intended.

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Snyder cut is a complete waste of money

ehh, I dont know if you can say that. Streaming services have spent plenty more than that on just as bad, if not worse projects.

And thats the key here, HBOMax. This would have never gotten a theatrical release, and likely never a DVD one either. But they need exclusive content, and the reruns of Friends and Big Bang Theory arent going to pull in what they need to justify it.

The only negative that comes out of this is the bad precedent that it sets, as we have already seen. And just confirms how much they were meddling in all of these movies. But the catch is this only sets a precedent if it is successful, if they dont see increased subs for this release, and all the hashtaggers just torrent this project, then they will never do it again. They are only making this move to try and make more money, and if it gets them some good will from Snyder and their stars of JL, then thats a bonus

• Like 3

I’m just liking all the moves towards an HBO DC universe.  When Disney+ has Star Wars live action television to go with their movies, Netflix has Stranger Things, Prime has a couple okay series, CBS All Access has Star Trek, HBO is going to need a big event type series to draw in subscribers, and that could be a DC extended universe.

If CW can make money on their DC shows that are absolute crap, HBO could make a fortune off GoT level DC productions.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

ehh, I dont know if you can say that. Streaming services have spent plenty more than that on just as bad, if not worse projects.

And thats the key here, HBOMax. This would have never gotten a theatrical release, and likely never a DVD one either. But they need exclusive content, and the reruns of Friends and Big Bang Theory arent going to pull in what they need to justify it.

The only negative that comes out of this is the bad precedent that it sets, as we have already seen. And just confirms how much they were meddling in all of these movies. But the catch is this only sets a precedent if it is successful, if they dont see increased subs for this release, and all the hashtaggers just torrent this project, then they will never do it again. They are only making this move to try and make more money, and if it gets them some good will from Snyder and their stars of JL, then thats a bonus

I just meant a waste insomuch as the money could be better off spent on something better and new, rather than a bad movie that can only be marginally improved.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Also, the Snyder Cut is roughly 4 hours, which Snyder's original film apparently was.

So it just might be his original cut with none of the Whedon footage in there that just happens to be nearing 4 hours, hence a completely different movie.

I still don't have high hopes regardless, but again, we'll at least see what was intended.

It's possible they'll release it as a miniseries instead of a movie. I'd just prefer the long movie, but I know a lot of people would hate to sit and watch a 4 hour epic so I'll be surprised if they don't split it up. Also makes sense for a new streaming platform to make it a miniseries.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I just meant a waste insomuch as the money could be better off spent on something better and new, rather than a bad movie that can only be marginally improved.

I think it's a worthy experiment. We've seen lots of director's cuts drastically improve movies, including a couple of Snyder's, so it's not like it's a lock to suck.

Also you need to think of it in this regard: money is tight right now. No one knows if the theater business will ever be the same. This is a way to get an essentially new movie/miniseries of characters people love for an upstart streaming service by spending only another (roughly) $25 million.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m just liking all the moves towards an HBO DC universe.  When Disney+ has Star Wars live action television to go with their movies, Netflix has Stranger Things, Prime has a couple okay series, CBS All Access has Star Trek, HBO is going to need a big event type series to draw in subscribers, and that could be a DC extended universe.

If CW can make money on their DC shows that are absolute crap, HBO could make a fortune off GoT level DC productions.

HBO and WB are both owned by AT&T

On 5/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, StLunatic88 said:

You could see the root of a pretty decent thing in BvS, but even the Directors Cut didn’t turn it into something great. Just more logical. 

As has been said, JL was garbage from start to finish. People like to blame Joss, but all he did was come in and try to hang some party favors on the dark turd that was handed to him. Sure this Snyder Cut might make some more sense, and you can fanboy out when you see black suit Superman and Darkseid, but it’s still largely the movie we already got. And that wasn’t very good, and honestly, his story boards didn’t seem like a much better movie either, Just more fan service. 

And in reality, $20-$30m isn’t nearly enough to substantially change the film that we got, especially since most of that will likely be used on half-assed CGI

Actually, the original cut of Snyder's Justice League was hovering around 4 hours, just like this one, so it probably IS the original cut that Snyder shot. And it was an almost completely different film from the one we got once Whedon got handed the reigns. They rewrote over 50% of the script while much of the rest of Snyder's footage was repurposed for Whedon's new script.

Granted, I still don't have that high of hopes for it, but NOT because the Whedon Cut was bad. I just don't have much faith in Zack Snyder in general, but it still deserves its fair shake as it's apparently a whole different film, as stated.

Oh, and the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven turned a mediocre movie into a great film, so the whole "butchering a movie that was actually good" thing HAS happened before, just sayin'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Actually, the original cut of Snyder's Justice League was hovering around 4 hours, just like this one, so it probably IS the original cut that Snyder shot. And it was an almost completely different film from the one we got once Whedon got handed the reigns. They rewrote over 50% of the script while much of the rest of Snyder's footage was repurposed for Whedon's new script.

So that (BTT) is what we are using as “proof” that his cut was completely different? Let’s get this straight, there was no Original Cut, it isn’t completed, and $30m says it wasn’t all that close to being either. He had his vision, and honestly, while some backstory shots of Cyborg and Flash that got cut out, we got a good amount of what he shot. The rewrites seemed to mostly be cutting backstory out to trim it up, streamlining some of the beefier plot like Superman’s resurrection, and then turning the grim dialogue into the more Whedon-like lighthearted jokes. It’s the same thing he did when adjusting what was already filmed, with that he literally lightened it up. 

The first trailers, before he was replaced, showed the same beginning if the film. The same back and forth type stuff between Bats and WW, the same “getting the gang together” stuff, and the same Parademon battle that we got. That’s most of the movie. It was definitely an altered Superman resurrection Plot (he was setting up the black suit) and it has been told that we would get a end of the film/post credit of Darkseid reveal. 

As my original post stated, it will probably make more sense, be a little more bulk on the back story, with a cliffhanger to what he planned next. But it’s still not going to be good, likely still pretty bad, because he doesn’t truly understand these characters. 

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

So that (BTT) is what we are using as “proof” that his cut was completely different? Let’s get this straight, there was no Original Cut, it isn’t completed, and $30m says it wasn’t all that close to being either. He had his vision, and honestly, while some backstory shots of Cyborg and Flash that got cut out, we got a good amount of what he shot. The rewrites seemed to mostly be cutting backstory out to trim it up, streamlining some of the beefier plot like Superman’s resurrection, and then turning the grim dialogue into the more Whedon-like lighthearted jokes. It’s the same thing he did when adjusting what was already filmed, with that he literally lightened it up. 

The first trailers, before he was replaced, showed the same beginning if the film. The same back and forth type stuff between Bats and WW, the same “getting the gang together” stuff, and the same Parademon battle that we got. That’s most of the movie. It was definitely an altered Superman resurrection Plot (he was setting up the black suit) and it has been told that we would get a end of the film/post credit of Darkseid reveal. 

As my original post stated, it will probably make more sense, be a little more bulk on the back story, with a cliffhanger to what he planned next. But it’s still not going to be good, likely still pretty bad, because he doesn’t truly understand these characters. 

You're underselling how much was cut and/or changed pretty significantly. 

The bare bones are the same as you said, but you're talking about huge changes to character interactions, motivations, different deaths, different logic, focusing on different characters, etc. Hell, even the music will be significantly different and fit the mood instead of just failing to make everyone feel nostalgic by using the scores from the original Batman and Superman movies.

Snyder's cut is over 3 hours long, with rumors that it could easily be 4+. Whedon shot/reshot 80 pages worth of material. If that's half of a 2 hour movie (and essentially all Superman scenes), then that's 2-3 hours of completely different material that Snyder's cut will be using.

12 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

So you know more than actors and actresses who have seen Snyders original cut?? I guess they're liars then. I guess WB executives didnt see a different movie when Snyder screened it for them. 

12 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

You're underselling how much was cut and/or changed pretty significantly. 

You are correct, but it’s only to counter act the hyperbole that many are throwing out there, like we’re getting some entirely new movie. 

Because when it comes down to it, it’s still the same storyline, with the same big beats. 

• Superman has died
  • the world is mourning in different ways
  • Bruce believes there is a bigger threat coming than Doomsday
  • They need to find more heros
  • Getting the band together (some reluctantly, others too eager)
  • discovering what the Motherboxes are
  • first fight with the Paradeamons, too big of a threat
  • resurrection of Superman for reinforcements, doesn’t go as planned 
  • still have to stop Steppenwolf in a final battle to save the world
  • surprise Superman return to tip the scales and save the day 

Thats it, that’s the whole story, that’s the same thing we are getting when he finishes “the Snyder cut”. It will just have a lot more of what you pointed out, which is what I was alluding to. More background and motivation for Flash and Cyborg, a much more involved and fan service filled Superman portion, and morsel of Darkseid dangled out there for the second installment of Justice League

And if we really get the “4+ hour” version (man this legend grows every single time someone tells it) it’s going to be a whole lot of fat, and not much meat. The opposite problem of what we got from Whedon, and like I said, just as bad.