DC Movie Universe

devils1854

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  You do realize that post-Deniro’s Raging Bull there has been an industry shift towards realism in fitness levels for actors?

That actors such as Helmsworth and even Paul Rudd go through extreme workout regiments as well as literally dangerous, dehydrating measures for shirtless scenes in order to look the part of superheros?

Saying it’s okay for an actor playing Batman to look like a twig is like saying it’s okay for a 300 pound woman to play a bulimic anorexic.

Used to be big guys, medium guys, small guys from about 1900-1970.  Then the industry changed.  Just like cell phones lost the antenna.  Like video stores went digital.

The further we went from Raging Bull, the less acceptable it got for actors to not look the part.

They literally have these aspects in their contracts.  Asking someone getting paid millions to play their alleged dream role to get fit for that role is not asking too much.

Nobody is asking for Batfleck levels of fitness.  What Ben Affleck did was extremely admirable.  He clearly has an extreme and real love for Batman.

What Pattinson is doing is laziness.

You missed the point entirely.  My point was not that guys playing *** kickers can be twigs, I actually agree with most of your post.  My point was that the best portrayal we have of Batman to date, came from the smallest guy to play him, because he had the acting chops and the script was good.  I think Bale as an actor is on par with Keaton, but that Keaton had better material to work with as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

In general, I agree that people that don't look the part shouldn't be knocking around 250 lb brick **** houses.  It's why this big push for Ruby Rose being an action star is hilarious.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

I'd take Batfleck over Keaton as Batman without thinking about it. Bruce Wayne? No. Batman? Easily. If any other director had been in control and not had the killing stuff included he'd be recognized as the best one now.

15 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Needs? Maybe, but that is what Batman should look like on screen. 

Why should he? Why do we normalize these ridiculous workout routines? Did you ever not believe Keaton as Batman? Clooney and Kilmer both looked believable in the suit. Bale wasn’t HUGE. 

Im not saying he should walk in there looking like Steph Curry, but he also doesn’t need to look like Vernon Gholston either. 

Batman is just as much a martial artist as anything else. He doesn’t need to just pummel people. In fact, he’s always better when the violence is his last resort. And again, my point of this being year 2, where he hasn’t needed to over power some hulking maniacs at this point, he would be more nimble and quick than muscles and brute. 

And not once in that trailer we got, did I ever think “he’s too small to take on the Riddler or Penguin or Catwoman” and when in the suit, he doesn’t look any less imposing than Bale ever did. 

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Ideal Batman: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK7srp6tHtZoLr4hEn_Ju

This is my point, you are all looking at this stuff and some of the comics, where those are not even remotely close to normal human proportions

The suit should make him look that big, since you know, body armor. 

If that’s the Batman body you want, you’re also going to get the boxy shouldered Bruce Wayne which looks just as ridiculous as this looks cool. 

50 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why should he? Why do we normalize these ridiculous workout routines? Did you ever not believe Keaton as Batman? Clooney and Kilmer both looked believable in the suit. Bale wasn’t HUGE. 

Im not saying he should walk in there looking like Steph Curry, but he also doesn’t need to look like Vernon Gholston either. 

Batman is just as much a martial artist as anything else. He doesn’t need to just pummel people. In fact, he’s always better when the violence is his last resort. And again, my point of this being year 2, where he hasn’t needed to over power some hulking maniacs at this point, he would be more nimble and quick than muscles and brute. 

And not once in that trailer we got, did I ever think “he’s too small to take on the Riddler or Penguin or Catwoman” and when in the suit, he doesn’t look any less imposing than Bale ever did. 

It has nothing to do with ridiculous workout routines when only discussing what a comic book character should look like on screen.

"Batman engages in an intensive exercise regimen, and because of this, his strength, like all other physical attributes, is at the peak of human perfection. He is shown to be able to bench-press at least 1000 lbs."

How the actor gets into that shape is part of their job and what they sign on for when they accept the role. Some people stay in that kind of shape regularly, so the ridiculousness of the workout routine is always different. When an actor who is far from that physical shape tries to do it, it has to be extreme, but a lot of actors sty in shape year round. I have no problems with any of the other guys or how they played the role, but if we're strictly discussing how the character from the comics should look on screen (which I am), Affleck was the closest thing to it.

Sorry, but a lot of points are being missed (me too, sorry Duke).

Batman doesn’t have to be ripped or huge.

Batman can’t be Edward from Twilight stick figure emo kid who thinks being skinny is sexy.

Pattinson agreed to bulk up.  If he didn’t he’s a *****.

26 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Affleck was the closest thing to it.

And even he isn’t even close to “benching 1000lbs” so then No actor should ever be Batman on screen. It’s an absolute unrealistic take to think anyone is actually going to look like that. 

He’s a fictional character, you can’t be THAT huge and still be limber and athletic enough to do the things he does (fighting, stealth) as a real life human.

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pattinson agreed to bulk up.  If he didn’t he’s a *****

Agreed. That’s a standard you can hold him to. And unfortunately we have like 3 separate conversations intertwined.

But my point here is, he could have loafed around and not bulked up enough, AND Reeves has unrealistic expectations. The whole “report” wasn’t just that he didn’t work out, it was that he wasn’t big enough to match enough to his stunt double, have you seen that stunt double?? In no realistic world can RP ever get to that size. He just doesn’t have the body frame to do it. Both those things can be true

I wish people would stop bringing up Keaton.   That was a different time.    While I enjoy Batman 89, its laughable to watch it and buy Keaton as a butt kicking vigilante.  I get that movie are actors playing roles, but most people prefer for an actor to be believable in a role.    A casting like Keaton as Batman wouldnt work nearly as well today.

Pattinson doesnt necessarily need to be as beefy as Ben Affleck....but he should be as ripped and muscular as he can possibly get.

Its too bad Scott Adkins wasnt a better actor.    His look and fighting skills are about as perfect as you could get for Bruce Wayne and Batman.

6 hours ago, Malfatron said:

they could just cgi him like they did with Chris Evans

He is in a suit, that is padded and armored, almost the entire time. So it really doesn’t matter unless you need some stroke job CrossFit scene to believe he’s Batman. 

• Like 1