DC Movie Universe

devils1854

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Those aren’t that much different from stuff used to prop up all heroes though. Some of people’s favorite heroes are “Marty” Sue’s, and the amount of damsels or chubby/ugly/short male sidekicks kinda do the same thing.

Like?

5 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Like?

If you think about the criticism you can say the same about Harry Potter, for people a little younger than me Percy Jackson. Luke Skywalker was in the original film and RotJ, empire was the only one that made a case against that. A lot of older fictional characters are. You think of like a Tarzan or John Carter and they fit the bill off the top of my head.

It really depends on your definition, and I know they male definition has slightly different traits. The male version fits most Bonds, some versions of Batman. A lot of others.

I don’t think being one makes you a bad or uninteresting character. It can rob you of interesting growth though. To my original point I find there are way better ways to actually critique a character.

We’ve had chosen one stories and people who are naturally just good at things forever. Attributing that as a criticism to only one gender now that there is way more projects centered on female characters seems odd to me. Criticism can be done with more nuance than that. It shouldn’t be Girl/woman is good at something = Mary Sue, which is how it’s used by some people.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If you think about the criticism you can say the same about Harry Potter, for people a little younger than me Percy Jackson. Luke Skywalker was in the original film, empire was the only one that made a case against that. A lot of older fictional characters are. You think of like a Tarzan or John Carter and they fit the bill off the top of my head.

It really depends on your definition, and I know they male definition has slightly different traits. The male version fits most Bonds, some versions of Batman. A lot of others.

I don’t think being one makes you a bad or uninteresting character. It can rob you of interesting growth though. To my original point I find there are way better ways to actually critique a character.

We’ve had chosen one stories and people who are naturally just good at things forever. Attributing that as a criticism to only one gender now that there is way more projects centered on female characters seems odd to me. Can be done with more nuance than that. It shouldn’t be Girl/woman is good at something = Mary Sue, which is how it’s used by some people.

I think you're oversimplifying. Being a chosen one has nothing to do with being a Mary Sue. The vast majority of those characters (at least the ones I know about) have clear weaknesses. That's like the main thing that writers don't do today trying to write strong female characters, and thus are labeled a Mary Sue for. It's why Wonder Woman was so well received compared to say Captain Marvel. It's not that it only applies to one gender, it's that for some reason (and mind you this is a remarkably general statement) a ton of writers don't feel comfortable beating up on female characters like they do with men.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

It's not that it only applies to one gender, it's that for some reason (and mind you this is a remarkably general statement) a ton of writers don't feel comfortable beating up on female characters like they do with men.

Slightly off topic, but in line with what you just said.....I was watching a video recently that was basically talking about the fact that the humiliation and suffering of males has been used as a comedic tool for decades now.       Things that if you did with female characters would be met with outrage.  

Think about it....how many times over the years has the whole males being sexually assaulted been played for comedy?    As an example....look at Wedding Crashers.     Vince Vaughn's character is sexually assaulted numerous times by Isla Fisher's character, and it was done for laughs.     A situation with the roles reversed could NEVER be used for laughs.    Same with numerous prisons scenes that joke about what happens to men in prison.  

For the record, I am not saying I am offended by that stuff.   Ive laughed at many of those scenes.....but its an interesting thought that no one ever really talks about.   

2 hours ago, 43M said:

For the record, I am not saying I am offended by that stuff.   Ive laughed at many of those scenes.....but its an interesting thought that no one ever really talks about.   

Its not that interesting. It's pretty simple actually. Men aren't marginalized, women are. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:54 AM, 43M said:

Think about it....how many times over the years has the whole males being sexually assaulted been played for comedy?    As an example....look at Wedding Crashers.     Vince Vaughn's character is sexually assaulted numerous times by Isla Fisher's character, and it was done for laughs.     A situation with the roles reversed could NEVER be used for laughs.   

You mean like Revenge of the Nerds, Grease, American Pie, Superbad, Sixteen Candles, Theres something about Mary, Evil Dead, Kickass 2, little shop of horrors, observe and report, Overboard, porkys, zapped, Big, MASH, Vampires kiss?

It goes both ways here. I dont have a dog in this argument (vampires kiss is one of my favorite movies all time) but lets not pretend sexual assault on women isnt ever played for laughs.

I do concede that man on man or women on man (or animal on man) is played for laughs more, but i dont get your point here. Are you asking for equal time be given for male on female comedic sexual assault?

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

You mean like Revenge of the Nerds, Grease, American Pie, Superbad, Sixteen Candles, Theres something about Mary, Evil Dead, Kickass 2, little shop of horrors, observe and report, Overboard, porkys, zapped, Big, MASH, Vampires kiss?

It goes both ways here. I dont have a dog in this argument (vampires kiss is one of my favorite movies all time) but lets not pretend sexual assault on women isnt ever played for laughs.

I do concede that man on man or women on man (or animal on man) is played for laughs more, but i dont get your point here. Are you asking for equal time be given for male on female comedic sexual assault?

I dont want this thread to get locked, so I was going to respond via PM, but you have them disabled, I guess.

First off....wow...hopefully, youre being purposely obtuse regarding the bolded.

Secondly, my comment was in line with the one I quoted that there are certain things that they are more comfortable doing with men than women in movies and on TV....especially for comedic purposes...because people feel much more comfortable laughing at men getting physically hurt by the opposite sex than the other way around, and thats not even remotely debateable.