DC Movie Universe

devils1854

1 minute ago, 43M said:

My biggest worry is that it feels like they are copying the MCU playbook RIGHT NOW as opposed to the MCU playbook when it first started and was actually...ya know...good.

This feels like quantity over quality.    Obviously, we dont know the quality yet and it could be decent, but it looks like a bunch of stuff just being thrown together, kinda like it was before.

Sure, there might be a plan, but a poor plan is just as bad as no plan.

Sorry...not trying to be OVERLY negative, but I was hoping the new slate reveal would give me some optimism for the collective UNIVERSE, but it really didnt.    I am excited for a few projects, but the fact that it leaves the door open for people like Ezra Miller to return really ******* annoys me.   Then again, Gunn is kind of a sicko too, so I guess Im not surprised.

I disagree. We have no basis of a timeframe so it's tough to say it's quantity over quality when it could be 10 projects over three to four years spanning multiple mediums. 

Gunn made it abundantly clear that they value writing. He said that's the most important thing for these films. Nothing is getting a release date until the writing is completed. If the writing isn't up to snuff they will be honest about it. You can't say it's a poor plan when you don't know the plan. This isn't even all of Chapter One. Gods and Monsters is the theme of this chapter, and the projects emulate that.

I'm encouraged by the fact that they want everything to feel unique but also have a plan and overarching narrative. I still think they are only humoring Momoa/Miller because they need those movies to come out before they drop them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I disagree. We have no basis of a timeframe so it's tough to say it's quantity over quality when it could be 10 projects over three to four years spanning multiple mediums. 

Gunn made it abundantly clear that they value writing. He said that's the most important thing for these films. Nothing is getting a release date until the writing is completed. If the writing isn't up to snuff they will be honest about it. You can't say it's a poor plan when you don't know the plan. This isn't even all of Chapter One. Gods and Monsters is the theme of this chapter, and the projects emulate that.

I'm encouraged by the fact that they want everything to feel unique but also have a plan and overarching narrative. I still think they are only humoring Momoa/Miller because they need those movies to come out before they drop them.

I should have made it a bit clearer.

Im not saying it definitely will be a bad plan, just that the slate they released doesn't feel like its going to add up to a good plan.  

One of the absolute biggest issues with the original DCEU was that it felt forced and rushed and they were continually tripping over their own feet instead of properly developing characters.   The DCU is starting off with a few characters that look to be already well developed into their personas, and then numerous other characters that basically feel tacked on.  Again, not saying it cant work, but I wouldve prefered they focused on developing a new Justice League.

I dont think you absolutely need origin stories for every character, but its inarguable that it helps build the world and strong base for the characters.

The new Batman is likely going to be in his 40s, so you are leaving the audience to fill in a ton of blanks...just like with Batfleck.

The new Superman is about Kal El struggling with his humanity vs his alien heritage?    So...literally the exact same as Man of Steel?

And thats why it will frustrate me even further if they retain aspects of the old DCEU.   Why not just keep Cavill and Affleck then, with their pasts tweaked due to Flashpoint?    Affleck is roughly the age this Bruce will need to be, and Cavill is already beloved in the role and has/had so much potential.   

At the end of the day, I am trying to be a little optimistic about it, but WB has screwed this up so many times, its difficult, and I see alot of reasons for concern.   

I legit hope it all works out.   Casting will go a long way, but as I said....if Ezra Miller stays....

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

We already knew this, but Gunn reiterated it…

Kinda hate the idea of like all movies, shows and games having to be tied together.

Yeah it’ll give the movies more to pull from for characters they don’t need to set up. But it kinda holds back what animation and games can do on their own.

I mean I can think of some ways it could work, like having the new DCU Batman get games set back 20 years ago or in the future with Damian as Bats or some Batman Beyond interpretation. But could hold some stuff back for sure.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

We already knew this, but Gunn reiterated it…

Kinda hate the idea of like all movies, shows and games having to be tied together.

Yeah it’ll give the movies more to pull from for characters they don’t need to set up. But it kinda holds back what animation and games can do on their own.

I mean I can think of some ways it could work, like having the new DCU Batman get games set back 20 years ago or in the future with Damian as Bats or some Batman Beyond interpretation. But could hold some stuff back for sure.

Well, as I see it, there will be DC and DCU.   It seems pretty clear based on other things in development there will be DC content outside of the DCU, so I do think there will be games, animation and obviously movies that aren't connected to the shared universe.

On a positive note, despite my pessimistic feelings, I am at least encouraged by James Gunn's obvious passion for this, which I think has neen very absent in the past.   

Am I confident he will deliver?  Meh....but at least they have people in there that actually seem to care about the source material, which admittedly, is huge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

Well, as I see it, there will be DC and DCU.   It seems pretty clear based on other things in development there will be DC content outside of the DCU, so I do think there will be games, animation and obviously movies that aren't connected to the shared universe.

I’m sure there will, but seems like it’ll be a hurdle for all those Elseworlds things.

We’ll have to wait and see how many of those there will be beyond the ones that were already going.

I assume they won’t cancel Monolith’s Wonder Woman game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I’m sure there will, but seems like it’ll be a hurdle for all those Elseworlds things.

We’ll have to wait and see how many of those there will be beyond the ones that were already going.

I assume they won’t cancel Monolith’s Wonder Woman game.

I think that obviously remains in tact, Rocksteadys Justice League comes out soon, and there are strong rumors that Injustice 3 is late in development at Neverrealm, so I think there will be plenty of non DCU stuff.

In general though, I agree.   I wish videogames and animation were largely separated from live action stuff.  But if done right (which is a tall order), could be special.

17 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

But you can see why some are worried about what Gunn put out there, right?

Its great to see his passion, and his approach, but when it seems like you are just as focused on things like The Authority and Elseworld films (speaking more about the long off Swamp Thing) as you are about the Foundational Films of your new franchise, youre just inviting questions and doubt.

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But you can see why some are worried about what Gunn put out there, right?

Its great to see his passion, and his approach, but when it seems like you are just as focused on things like The Authority and Elseworld films (speaking more about the long off Swamp Thing) as you are about the Foundational Films of your new franchise, youre just inviting questions and doubt.

Absolutely. It's super ambitious and risky. It could definitely flame out. But I like the approach from a creative standpoint and really like that they've said the focus is strictly on storytelling. If that's all talk then it will fail.

The playbook is out there for things like The Authority to succeed, and given that they inspired The Elite, they have an easy "in" to the connected universe. Swamp Thing could succeed as a horror in its own right and is likely building to JLD. I'm not saying Gunn is perfect by any means but he's seen what works/doesn't work over at Marvel and he's explicitly stated what hasn't worked with DC. That doesn't mean it'll be smooth sailing but it does mean he's not jumping into this blind.