DC Movie Universe

devils1854

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

While not wrong, there is alot more riding on this than usual.   Beyond that, alot of people are going to be comparing it to Henry Cavill, and how unceremoniously he was tossed out.   

This new Superman is going to essentially make or break the new DCEU.   Superman has a particular look and have a certain on screen presence.    If they mess that up, its going to bomb, even if the writing and directing are decent.

Guys like Ledger and Pattinson got backlash because alot of people couldn't see past their earlier roles.   Alot of people just didnt like Affleck.   And alot of people still didnt like Affleck and Pattinson, even though they did decent.

The biggest knock on Gadot was how skinny she was and her acting.   The first movie kinda defied expectations, but outside of one movie, she has been pretty awful.   True, she had crap writing and directing after WW1, but she isnt a good enough actress to elevate weak or even average material.  

Bottom line...writing is very important obviously, but the casting will be extremely important, especially since all hopes of success start with this movie.

And casting has never been an issue for Gunn. It'd have to be a terrible choice to be an issue. Good writing can mask meh talent.

Edited by Bullet Club

6 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

And casting has never been an issue for Gunn. It'd have to be a terrible choice to be an issue. Good writing can mask meh talent.

Im not saying it will be here either...just saying it needs to be a homerun.

And good writing alone isnt going to cover up for meh talent or weak casting choice in this case.   

Oh, and Gunn's writing is pretty overrated.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

Im not saying it will be here either...just saying it needs to be a homerun.

And good writing alone isnt going to cover up for meh talent or weak casting choice in this case.   

Oh, and Gunn's writing is pretty overrated.

The odds of it being a weak casting choice from a guy with a strong casting record and knowing this kicks off a universe are pretty slim. It's a non-issue right now and we have little reason to believe it will be one. 

40 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

The odds of it being a weak casting choice from a guy with a strong casting record and knowing this kicks off a universe are pretty slim. It's a non-issue right now and we have little reason to believe it will be one. 

He has never cast a role as big and well known as Superman though.    Completely different situation than casting almost completely unknown Guardians of the Galaxy characters that you can afford to perhaps take certain liberties with.

Again, Im not saying he wont cast it well.   I actually believe that he probably will.    I just believe the casting decision for Superman could ultimately be the most important decision he makes in regards to the success of his universe.   He already admitted he wants Superman to be face of the new DCU.

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

He has never cast a role as big and well known as Superman though.    Completely different situation than casting almost completely unknown Guardians of the Galaxy characters that you can afford to perhaps take certain liberties with.

Again, Im not saying he wont cast it well.   I actually believe that he probably will.    I just believe the casting decision for Superman could ultimately be the most important decision he makes in regards to the success of his universe.   He already admitted he wants Superman to be face of the new DCU.

I think you're way more worried about it then you should be. The writing is what's going to keep people around or not.

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I think you're way more worried about it then you should be. The writing is what's going to keep people around or not.

Im not "worried" about it at all.   I just think its going to be a far more important decision than you seem to.

Yes, writing will "keep" people around.   Im not arguing against that at all.    

29 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

New The Batman 2 villain reveal.

Clayface.  Interesting choice, especially since he hasn't made an appearance in any films yet.

https://thedirect.com/article/robert-pattinson-the-batman-2-villain-report

This is not confirmed by the Deadline report sourced, and are treating it as a wait and see approach.

That said, other sources are telling us that scripts are constantly changing, and that Clayface is a big addition to Matt Reeves’ The Batman 2. Let’s wait until the dust settles here and something moves forward. It remains to be seen whether Clayface is a connection between The Batman 2 elseworld and Gunn and Safran’s feature and series sprawling DC’s Gods and Monsters – Chapter One. 

https://deadline.com/2023/03/clayface-movie-mike-flanagan-warner-bros-1235312906/

On 3/29/2023 at 6:42 PM, Acgott said:

This is not confirmed by the Deadline report sourced, and are treating it as a wait and see approach.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/clayface-movie-mike-flanagan-warner-bros-1235312906/

My guess is Clayface will be another amalgamation of different villains, kinda like Riddler in the first one was basically a cross between Riddler, Hush and Calendar Man, this Clayface will probably be a cross between Clayface, Victor Zsasz and Anarchy. 

I liked the first one, but if Im being honest, Im tired of the ultra grounded approach to Batman, and taking away elements that make some of these villains memorable.   I like some of the grounded villains, but dont use a character like Clayface if youre not going to use his shape-shifting ability.   Maybe Reeves will, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 43M said:

My guess is Clayface will be another amalgamation of different villains, kinda like Riddler in the first one was basically a cross between Riddler, Hush and Calendar Man, this Clayface will probably be a cross between Clayface, Victor Zsasz and Anarchy. 

I liked the first one, but if Im being honest, Im tired of the ultra grounded approach to Batman, and taking away elements that make some of these villains memorable.   I like some of the grounded villains, but dont use a character like Clayface if youre not going to use his shape-shifting ability.   Maybe Reeves will, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I get having Riddler don the usual green suit wouldn't work for this universe, and so a change of wardrobe was needed in the first movie, but Clayface without shapeshifting isn't really Clayface.

Mr. Freeze, who was rumored to be The Batman 2 villain long beforehand would work better for the "grounded" setting. Synthesizing Liquid Nitrogen in projectile form/gun weapon wouldn't be that difficult to work in, but the whole subzero body temperature requirement kinda teeters on supernatural and so they'd have to get around that somehow.

Edited by KManX89

18 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Yeah, I get having Riddler don the usual green suit wouldn't work for this universe, and so a change of wardrobe was needed in the first movie, but Clayface without shapeshifting isn't really Clayface.

Mr. Freeze, who was rumored to be The Batman 2 villain long beforehand would work better for the "grounded" setting. Synthesizing Liquid Nitrogen in projectile form/gun weapon wouldn't be that difficult to work in, but the whole subzero body temperature requirement kinda teeters on supernatural and so they'd have to get around that somehow.

Agreed. Clayface has to change form. He cannot just be a master of disguise to fit a realistic world.

Also, we have this 

I’m no expert on Blue Beetle, but I really enjoyed the character on Young Justice. I really hope they dive more into the scarab and aliens and not just a kid who gets powers. We have that with multiple Spider-Men and Shazam.

12 hours ago, Acgott said:

Agreed. Clayface has to change form. He cannot just be a master of disguise to fit a realistic world.

Also, we have this 

I’m no expert on Blue Beetle, but I really enjoyed the character on Young Justice. I really hope they dive more into the scarab and aliens and not just a kid who gets powers. We have that with multiple Spider-Men and Shazam.

To be fair, that was the original Clayface for decades.

I'm hyped for Blue Beetle.