All In - Part Deux

R T

Putting a roster up here and will add to it until the Packers get to their 90-man roster for training camp. 

Typical 90-man roster based on the averages for the past 3 years.

QB - 4, RB - 6, FB/TE - 8, WR - 11, OL - 16, DL - 8, EDGE - 8, ILB - 7, CB - 9, S - 8, ST - 5  

Current makeup. 

QB - 2, RB - 2, FB/TE - 4, WR - 7, OL - 10, DL - 6, EDGE - 5, ILB - 4, CB - 5, S - 5, ST - 3

QB - Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love 

RB - Aaron Jones, AJ Dillon

TE - Josiah Deguara, Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Tyler Davis

WR - Christian Watson, Amari Rodgers, Romeo Doubs, Samori Toure, Allen Lazard, Sammy Watkins, Randall Cobb

OL - David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Josh Myers, Jon Runyan, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom, Rasheed Walker, Yosh Nijman, Jake Hanson

DL - Kenny Clark, Devonte Wyatt, Dean Lowry, TJ Slaton, Jonathan Ford, Jarran Reed

ED - Rashan Gary, Kingsley Enagbare, Jonathan Garvin, Preston Smith, Tipa Galeai

LB - Quay Walker, De'Vondre Campbell, Isaiah McDuffie, Krys Barnes

CB - Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Shemar Jean-Charles, Rasul Douglas, Keisean Nixon

S - Darnell Savage, Adrian Amos, Dallin Leavitt, Tariq Carpenter, Rudy Ford

ST - (K) Mason Crosby (P) Pat O'Donnell (LS) Jack Coco

Been doing this exercise for about 30 years now and what I've found is that whether it has been Wolf, TT or Gutes they will have a set of players already in place for each position group that they feel comfortable with before entering into the draft. That allows them to operate from the position of strength and draft the best available player on their board. My guess is that Gutes is one veteran WR away from achieving his comfort level for going into the draft.  

Edited by R T
update
  • Like 2

And the quest to build the 90 begins.

I also think they add one more vet at WR, maybe that is MVS.

Kylin Hill might start on the PUP so really 3/3.5 backs.  If we see a guy we like there, we will grab him but probably late picks.  Preferably a back that has decent hands to keep this offense versatile. 

You’ve got to think our new OC will get some gifts for the OL.  Who knows what round but with the capital we have, I hope we get one early and one in the value rounds. 

There will be an emphasis on ST, usually the late rounders but if there is an exceptional gunner or returner, we’ll keep an extra skill position to get him this year. 

5 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree about Hill. Hill, Jenkins and Tonyan all very likely start the season on the PUP.  

Kylin and Bobby, same game 10/28. Jenkins 11/21.  Everyone heals differently and  no reason to rush those guys but Jenkins and Tonyan are preferred starters so we will see how things looks when we get to cut downs. 

Despite the problems Bakhtiari had, the normal recovery time is around 9 months or so. Jenkins being a bigger dude might take longer, but there is no reason to believe that Hill and Tonyan don't make the 53. Going in to PUP would mean not being able to practing for an entire year since you have to be there for 6 weeks. I still think Jenkins makes the 53 as well. He might not start on week 1, but he should start practicing by then.

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Despite the problems Bakhtiari had, the normal recovery time is around 9 months or so. Jenkins being a bigger dude might take longer, but there is no reason to believe that Hill and Tonyan don't make the 53. Going in to PUP would mean not being able to practing for an entire year since you have to be there for 6 weeks. I still think Jenkins makes the 53 as well. He might not start on week 1, but he should start practicing by then.

That would lessen the urgency for adding multiple (2 or 3) offensive linemen in the draft. Depending on where the Packers slot Jenkins, T or G, leaves us with one hole at either position.

I hope you are correct. 

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

I'm guessing Jenkins ends up on the PUP. Tonyan and Hill should be ready at some point during camp and activated before Week 1. Deguara tore his ACL about 3 weeks before those guys in 2020 and was activated around the 2nd week of TC IIRC. So, I think Tonyan and Hill will make the 53 but then could maybe sit a game or two to start the season. Neither should miss 6 weeks though.

Edited by packfanfb

• 4 weeks later...

The signing of the veteran WR is what I was waiting for and now puts Gutes in the position to attack the draft to move up and down in his tiers to collect the BPA regardless of position. The Packers stand at 64 on the roster with 26 more to go to fill the 90-man roster, roughly 11 draft picks and 15 UDFA's gets them there. Let's take a look at what needs to be added numbers wise by position. 

QB - 4 is the standard number heading into training camp and the Packers currently have 4 on the roster. A trade of Love or release of Etling would create the need to add someone but guessing no one else will be added at this time. Probably see 2 arms invited to throw as tryout players post draft. Need (0)

RB - 4 is the current number and the Packers usually go to camp with 6. Jones and Dillon lock down 2 roster spots with Taylor # 3 until Hill returns from injury. Could see the Packers drafting one anywhere from the 3rd to 7th round if the right value pick falls to them or they may simply add 2 UDFA's. Need (2)

TE - 6 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8 TE/FB types. Tonyan will likely start the season on the PUP which will give some opportunities to others to flash. A draft pick anywhere from 3rd to 7th round is possible here with a UDFA or just 2 UDFA's. Need (2)

WR - 8 is the current number with the Watkins signing and they usually go to camp with 11. One draft pick in the first 3 rounds, one draft pick on day 3 and one UDFA would fill them out to the 11. Need (3)

OL - 9 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 16 total. They are a little light on tackles, and I would expect that to be the focus when adding 7 more bodies here. Might see a 2nd or 3rd round pick used here or it may be a couple of day 3 types with the rest being UDFA's, which is the usual for this position. Need (7)

DL - 5 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8. We could see a draft pick come from any round with this group, early if they see some rush ability or day 3 for a run stuffer. Filling out the other spot or two with UDFA's. Need (3)

ED - 6 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8. With the depth in the draft at this position I do expect a high pick to be used here and maybe another on day 3. Need (2)

LB - 5 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 7. Like other non-premium positions, a pick from 3rd to 7th round or UDFA's could be used here. Need (2)

CB - 7 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 9. This group is on really solid ground, a draft pick could be added from anywhere at this premium position. Guessing it is a day 3 pick and a UDFA added here though. Need (2)

S - 5 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8. On the surface it feels like a position that they need some young depth at, but they might like the young players they have more than we know. Could see an early pick here, another on day 3 and a UDFA's to fill out the group. Need (3)

ST- 5 is the current number here and I expect 5 will be the number going into camp, but with a different construction then currently exists. They have 3 kickers and I expect one will be released after the first minicamp and they currently have one LS, but I expect another LS to be added for training camp. Need (1)     

Overall, I think the Packers are in a good place at each position group and with the added draft capital they hold I expect them to truly attack this draft to get several of the players they covet. They have 11 picks now but expecting them to end up with 8 or 9 when the dust settles.      

• Like 5

1 hour ago, R T said:

The signing of the veteran WR is what I was waiting for and now puts Gutes in the position to attack the draft to move up and down in his tiers to collect the BPA regardless of position. The Packers stand at 64 on the roster with 26 more to go to fill the 90-man roster, roughly 11 draft picks and 15 UDFA's gets them there. Let's take a look at what needs to be added numbers wise by position. 

QB - 4 is the standard number heading into training camp and the Packers currently have 4 on the roster. A trade of Love or release of Etling would create the need to add someone but guessing no one else will be added at this time. Probably see 2 arms invited to throw as tryout players post draft. Need (0)

RB - 4 is the current number and the Packers usually go to camp with 6. Jones and Dillon lock down 2 roster spots with Taylor # 3 until Hill returns from injury. Could see the Packers drafting one anywhere from the 3rd to 7th round if the right value pick falls to them or they may simply add 2 UDFA's. Need (2)

TE - 6 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8 TE/FB types. Tonyan will likely start the season on the PUP which will give some opportunities to others to flash. A draft pick anywhere from 3rd to 7th round is possible here with a UDFA or just 2 UDFA's. Need (2)

WR - 8 is the current number with the Watkins signing and they usually go to camp with 11. One draft pick in the first 3 rounds, one draft pick on day 3 and one UDFA would fill them out to the 11. Need (3)

OL - 9 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 16 total. They are a little light on tackles, and I would expect that to be the focus when adding 7 more bodies here. Might see a 2nd or 3rd round pick used here or it may be a couple of day 3 types with the rest being UDFA's, which is the usual for this position. Need (7)

DL - 5 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8. We could see a draft pick come from any round with this group, early if they see some rush ability or day 3 for a run stuffer. Filling out the other spot or two with UDFA's. Need (3)

ED - 6 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8. With the depth in the draft at this position I do expect a high pick to be used here and maybe another on day 3. Need (2)

LB - 5 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 7. Like other non-premium positions, a pick from 3rd to 7th round or UDFA's could be used here. Need (2)

CB - 7 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 9. This group is on really solid ground, a draft pick could be added from anywhere at this premium position. Guessing it is a day 3 pick and a UDFA added here though. Need (2)

S - 5 is the current number and they usually go to camp with 8. On the surface it feels like a position that they need some young depth at, but they might like the young players they have more than we know. Could see an early pick here, another on day 3 and a UDFA's to fill out the group. Need (3)

ST- 5 is the current number here and I expect 5 will be the number going into camp, but with a different construction then currently exists. They have 3 kickers and I expect one will be released after the first minicamp and they currently have one LS, but I expect another LS to be added for training camp. Need (1)     

Overall, I think the Packers are in a good place at each position group and with the added draft capital they hold I expect them to truly attack this draft to get several of the players they covet. They have 11 picks now but expecting them to end up with 8 or 9 when the dust settles.      

Seemed like a safe bet, and I’m glad they brought in a vet with some upside. Exactly like you’ve said, it keeps us from forcing our hand to get a WR early and I’m sure we’ll grab at least 2 but we can afford to get a more developmental guy or role player without having to spend our highest picks there. Of course, if Gute sees value and a  guy falls to 22/28, you jump on it but we don’t need to reach for a guy who probably won’t help us early on. Let’s keep chiseling away til we get a champion!

4 hours ago, Hands said:

Well RT...you did it again. I suspect they will sign another WR with Watkins. I'm thinking that the initials JJ could be another signee. Between the two and adding some draft fodder they have it covered.

Did he call Watkins getting signed, serious question? 

• Like 1