Detroit Lions Draft Malik Willis #2 overall on year 2 of the rebuild.

MortexLion

Well after todays Pro Day this guy has solidifying himself as a pick that we might be stupid to pass on.. A month ago I would say your F stupid to take a huge risk on a player like that at that position but we are talking about a QB and what happens if Aiden is taken at 1..we draft a safety at 2 whos been injured and couldn't finish his last season?   

Edited by MortexLion

14 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

Well after todays Pro Day this guy has solidifying himself as a pick that we might be stupid to pass on.. A month ago I would say your F stupid to take a huge risk on a player like that at that position but we are talking about a QB and what happens if Aiden is taken at 1..we draft a safety at 2 whos been injured and couldn't finish his last season?   

I have been thinking more and more about this. If Hutch is gone and they choose Malik. I think I will be good with it. 

• Like 1

I think Malik ends up being the pick for you guys at #2. Very solid situation for him to come into because he won't have to play immediately and you guys are quietly stacking some skill position players with Swift, Hockenson, St. Brown, Reynolds, and Chark.

I'm fine with taking a QB if they're really sold. The offense is honestly pretty ready for a rookie. We have a good line. We have some weapons out there. We are a run-first offense, which is a good fit for Willis, and we even have Goff ready to hold things down until he's ready to step in. There isn't an urgent sense of pressure to "win now," but there will start to be in year 3 or year 4. 

If they think he's the guy, and he's a legit franchise QB prospect, then I wouldn't hate it. 

The draft is actually rather deep at their other big positions of need I believe (WR, S, EDGE). We have what, 5 top 100 picks? You can take a QB, get him a young receiver, and then still spend three picks on the defense. 

I mentioned in another post that it comes down to how confident the Lions will be in his ability to master the mental part of the game.  He has a ton of physical talent.  He has shown good moxy/toughness in how he plays.  Can he develop top-shelf pocket awareness?  Can he read defenses and learn to take what they are giving rather trying to make a play that isn't there?  Is he willing to put the time in to address footwork and other mechanics?  If the Lions think that answer is yes, they should take him.  If the answer is no, they will end up with a Lamar Jackson situation which I don't think they want.

52 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I mentioned in another post that it comes down to how confident the Lions will be in his ability to master the mental part of the game.  He has a ton of physical talent.  He has shown good moxy/toughness in how he plays.  Can he develop top-shelf pocket awareness?  Can he read defenses and learn to take what they are giving rather trying to make a play that isn't there?  Is he willing to put the time in to address footwork and other mechanics?  If the Lions think that answer is yes, they should take him.  If the answer is no, they will end up with a Lamar Jackson situation which I don't think they want.

The fact that Lamar was a league MVP aside, I think you nailed it. As good of an athlete that he is, I personally do not believe he is a great quarterback. He is 4 years in now (?) with marginal improvement as a pocket passer. 

We will need more from the pocket if this is the pick. I am talking a QB who makes players better, not a QB who needs players to be better. 

The best part about Willis getting love as a top pick is it should open up some trade possibilities.  I really dont want him in Detroit.  I would much rather build up the D with premium picks and then insert a QB next year.  Whether it be a trade or draft.  And thats if Goff fails as many seem to be expecting.  Goff was a top 10 QB once Lynn stopped calling plays so I am willing to let that play out before spending such a high pick on a QB.  Especially one who was not rated this high based on game play and has shot up boards in the post season. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The best part about Willis getting love as a top pick is it should open up some trade possibilities.  I really dont want him in Detroit.  I would much rather build up the D with premium picks and then insert a QB next year.  Whether it be a trade or draft.  And thats if Goff fails as many seem to be expecting.  Goff was a top 10 QB once Lynn stopped calling plays so I am willing to let that play out before spending such a high pick on a QB.  Especially one who was not rated this high based on game play and has shot up boards in the post season. 

Even if Willis can be "the guy", as I've said before, I want to avoid a Stafford situation again. I'd rather we invested our picks into building up the roster and then inserting a QB into a better overall situation. If Holmes truly is the guy, we should be able to build up that depth quickly using this draft along with development from the 2021 class. 

• Like 4

It would still surprise me to see them take a QB at 2.

They don’t have to be in a hurry. Goff isn’t a free agent until 2025 and from my perspective he played well enough to warrant another year. 

Continue to build the team through the draft and see how much improvement last years class shows.

Next years QB class looks much better at this point and the team has all the draft capital it needs to select a quality QB next year.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Willis at #2 could be a smoke screen for sure. Seems like the Steelers are in love with him, just don't think they have the draft capital to get him.

58 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

It would still surprise me to see them take a QB at 2.

They don’t have to be in a hurry. Goff isn’t a free agent until 2025 and from my perspective he played well enough to warrant another year. 

Continue to build the team through the draft and see how much improvement last years class shows.

Next years QB class looks much better at this point and the team has all the draft capital it needs to select a quality QB next year.

Do they? 

If you really build up the defense this is potentially a 6, 7, 8 win team next year. 

It suddenly becomes a lot more difficult to trade up for that elite prospect if you're picking at 12 and 30 or something like that. The teams picking 1 & 2 most likely tanked for a QB and won't be looking to trade down unless it's an outrageous offer. What do you do then - offer next year's first as well? More? 

Or do you have to hope that the third or fourth best QB next year is just as good as Willis? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

Do they? 

If you really build up the defense this is potentially a 6, 7, 8 win team next year. 

It suddenly becomes a lot more difficult to trade up for that elite prospect if you're picking at 12 and 30 or something like that. The teams picking 1 & 2 most likely tanked for a QB and won't be looking to trade down unless it's an outrageous offer. What do you do then - offer next year's first as well? More? 

Or do you have to hope that the third or fourth best QB next year is just as good as Willis? 

Sure they do. They have two firsts next year as well as the first in 2023. 

The worst reason to draft a QB is fear one won’t be available in the future. In this case drafting a QB at number two that isn’t graded high enough to warrant the pick. Now, if the Lions believe he’s an excellent prospect they may take him.

The discussion for taking a QB is identical to the discussion when Stafford was taken

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

The worst reason to draft a QB is fear one won’t be available in the future. In this case drafting a QB at number two that isn’t graded high enough to warrant the pick. Now, if the Lions believe he’s an excellent prospect they may take him.

The discussion for taking a QB is identical to the discussion when Stafford was taken

Are you saying taking Stafford was good or bad?  Taking Stafford was good.  Not following that up by surrounding him with more talent, not so good.

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Are you saying taking Stafford was good or bad?  Taking Stafford was good.  Not following that up by surrounding him with more talent, not so good.

What he's saying is... People didn't REALLY know then what Stafford would be then, and they have to go with how they feel. 

Like it's super elementary to be like; " Yeah Stafford was the right pick, so that means this guy is." Uh, well, it's only the right pick if Willis is franchise caliber. He can't be average, at 2. An that was the same thing with Stafford. He couldn't be average with the 1st overall and(at the time) all that money!

Untill you get a franchise guy, this conversation will be constant. 

Edited by SimbaWho

15 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

This is exactly why I LOATHE drafting for "needs". You draft the best talent. You sign free agents to fill holes. 

Our issue was never drafting a TE (Ebron) at #10, it was passing up better players (Donald) to do so. Just like drafting a WR in the first round every year wasn't a bad option, the problem was we drafted the wrong talent (Rogers, Williams). Thank God the Lions didn't let them deter them from drafting Calvin Johnson. The issue isn't drafting a QB too early or too late. It's drafting the wrong QB. Any other year, Willis and Pickett would be day two draft picks. And I say that as having them as my top 2 QBs in this draft all along. They only reason people want them high is because there are no better QB options. But that doesn't make them top QBs. And that doesn't mean better options won't come around. Can Willis be a starting QB in this league in a year or two? I think so. But I don't think he's better than a number of players more worthy of taking #2. 

• Like 4