Detroit Lions Draft Malik Willis #2 overall on year 2 of the rebuild.

MortexLion

1.  Penny says:

If the Lions pick up Stafford he’s going to be ruined the first year out. He needs a team that’s going to really work with him and let him flourish as a starter.

2. 882e32b3ebc95f65b7aa7548d2e2ec0e?s=32&d= Jack says:

I think the Lions are going to do all right by Stafford. They have the advantage of a new coaching staff and the time to bring Stafford on is right now where they can all grow and rebuild the team together. This is a great opportunity for this kid.

3. 882e32b3ebc95f65b7aa7548d2e2ec0e?s=32&d= Ellen says:

Even Mayhew said that this is a good time for the team and that Stafford would have to be nurtured. I agree with Jack, Penny. The Lions will do all right for Stafford and if he makes it through the season and isn’t happy, well he has the option to ask for a trade. There are always clauses in the contracts for ways out.

Oh... to be young and naïve. If they only knew. At least Penny was onto something.

Comparing this draft class and how they're viewed compared to some of the top QB's over the last few years (according to NFL.com)

Malik Willis - 6.41

Kenny Pickett - 6.40

Matt Corral - 6.40

Desmond Ridder - 6.36

Sam Howell - 6.22

Joe Burrow - 7.07

Jared Goff - 7.00

Tua Tagoviola - 6.77

Baker Mayfield - 6.70

Zach Wilson - 6.50

Trey Lance - 6.47

Justin Herbert - 6.45

Justin Fields - 6.45

Mac Jones - 6.33

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

This is exactly why I LOATHE drafting for "needs". You draft the best talent. You sign free agents to fill holes. 

Our issue was never drafting a TE (Ebron) at #10, it was passing up better players (Donald) to do so. Just like drafting a WR in the first round every year wasn't a bad option, the problem was we drafted the wrong talent (Rogers, Williams). Thank God the Lions didn't let them deter them from drafting Calvin Johnson. The issue isn't drafting a QB too early or too late. It's drafting the wrong QB. Any other year, Willis and Pickett would be day two draft picks. And I say that as having them as my top 2 QBs in this draft all along. They only reason people want them high is because there are no better QB options. But that doesn't make them top QBs. And that doesn't mean better options won't come around. Can Willis be a starting QB in this league in a year or two? I think so. But I don't think he's better than a number of players more worthy of taking #2. 

Ehh, I'd argue that was also part of the problem. Taking a TE top 10 is almost always a terrible decision. Pitts being the exception doesn't change that.

8 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Are you saying taking Stafford was good or bad?  Taking Stafford was good.  Not following that up by surrounding him with more talent, not so good.

Taking Stafford was a waste. They didn’t have the talent when they drafted him and failed to improve the situation.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Taking Stafford was a waste. They didn’t have the talent when they drafted him and failed to improve the situation.

So I think you have been pretty clear about your desire to build a team first, then plug in a QB. I generally remain objective in team building and feel that if Holmes/Campbell feel drafting Willis is the right move, we should do it. That said, I am all for the building a total team approach. Everyone in the Media wants to write off Goff like he is a bum. But the truth of the matter is, he is a former 1st overall pick that has proven himself to be a very capable QB when the talent surrounds him gives him the opportunity to maximize them. 

In my heart of hearts, I believe Holmes/Campbell are ready to ride with Goff and will build the team around him accordingly. I am good with that too.

2 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

So I think you have been pretty clear about your desire to build a team first, then plug in a QB. I generally remain objective in team building and feel that if Holmes/Campbell feel drafting Willis is the right move, we should do it. That said, I am all for the building a total team approach. Everyone in the Media wants to write off Goff like he is a bum. But the truth of the matter is, he is a former 1st overall pick that has proven himself to be a very capable QB when the talent surrounds him gives him the opportunity to maximize them. 

In my heart of hearts, I believe Holmes/Campbell are ready to ride with Goff and will build the team around him accordingly. I am good with that too.

I have confidence in Holmes and Campbell. If they take a QB at number 2………….I would be on board 100%.

Goff showed very well once Campbell got the play calling figured out. 

Personally I’m just old fashioned. Having watched the Lions repeatedly try and fail to build a team I really believe you build a team inside, outside, front to back. So far I’m pleased with the approach they’ve taken this time around.

They still have a lot of work to do and there’s a number of ways they can attack the problems. 

• Like 2

I don't really see the Lamar Jackson comps. Willis is nowhere near the same level of runner. Lamar dominated more talented players with his legs. Willis clearly has a better arm and is a bit more accurate. Physically he's more like poor man's Deshaun Watson or even like a Baker Mayfield with better scoots.

Willis' stats, level of competition and tendency to throw behind guys worries the heck out of me. I'd love to smokescreen this so we can trade down, but I'm pretty set on Hutchinson, Hamilton or maybe Walker if I'm not just buying hype.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't really see the Lamar Jackson comps. Willis is nowhere near the same level of runner. Lamar dominated more talented players with his legs. Willis clearly has a better arm and is a bit more accurate. Physically he's more like poor man's Deshaun Watson or even like a Baker Mayfield with better scoots.

Willis' stats, level of competition and tendency to throw behind guys worries the heck out of me. I'd love to smokescreen this so we can trade down, but I'm pretty set on Hutchinson, Hamilton or maybe Walker if I'm not just buying hype.

^This

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Kordell Stewart has been my comp for Willis. Of course, Stewart entered the NFL at a time where they didn't really know how to utilize QBs like him.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, Karnage84 said:

Comparing this draft class and how they're viewed compared to some of the top QB's over the last few years (according to NFL.com)

Malik Willis - 6.41

Kenny Pickett - 6.40

Matt Corral - 6.40

Desmond Ridder - 6.36

Sam Howell - 6.22

Joe Burrow - 7.07

Jared Goff - 7.00

Tua Tagoviola - 6.77

Baker Mayfield - 6.70

Zach Wilson - 6.50

Trey Lance - 6.47

Justin Herbert - 6.45

Justin Fields - 6.45

Mac Jones - 6.33

idontbelieveyou.jpg

On 3/24/2022 at 3:53 AM, nagahide13 said:

Change Walker to Thibodeaux and that's exactly where I am as well.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Change Walker to Thibodeaux and that's exactly where I am as well.

Same here, I just don't see it with Willis (plus, I like Corral much better anyway). Assuming a trade down doesn't materialize then grabbing Thibodeaux is the play. Another scenario that I like that sometimes gets mentioned is trading Decker and drafting another tackle. There are some good ones available.