Vikings QB Sam Bradford to IR, Teddy Bridgewater Officially Activated

SteelKing728

On 10/16/2017 at 8:38 AM, RandomCampBody said:

I don't think they will play him this year, he hasn't played a game in nearly 2 years so he is going to need time.

Didn't it happen last year? Meaning he played games last year. It doesn't feel that long ago.

20 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Didn't it happen last year? Meaning he played games last year. It doesn't feel that long ago.

It happened last year right before the start of the regular season, which prompted the Bradford trade. I'd give Teddy 4 weeks before putting him in as the starter. MN has Baltimore, Cleveland, Bye, at Washington next. Let Teddy start after the Washington game which is in MN. I hope MN doesn't rush him back but if he's healthy and confident, why would you wait?

On 10/19/2017 at 10:44 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

His last game played was week 3 of the 2016 preseason.

Nothing is settled on his outlook though. I can't see the team rolling with Keenum all year. I have no reason to believe Bradford will be back when the teams actions may be going against their words.

If Teddy plays (likely) and plays well (who knows) then he's our answer.

How will potential contract tolling play into the Vikings' decision (if at all)?  And does the contract tolling issue become moot if Bridgewater is merely activated, or does he have to actually play a down?  If his rookie contract isn't somehow tolled into 2018, how he and the Vikings (presumably) assess his value going forward will be very interesting.

2 minutes ago, 808sinfour4time said:

How will potential contract tolling play into the Vikings' decision (if at all)?  And does the contract tolling issue become moot if Bridgewater is merely activated, or does he have to actually play a down?  If his rookie contract isn't somehow tolled into 2018, how he and the Vikings (presumably) assess his value going forward will be very interesting.

He passed his physical on Monday so his contract will not be tolled. I think that's the best case for both parties in this case.

The Vikings don't set a bad precedent in future cases. They're not going to mess around with their potential Franchise Quarterback's money.

Teddy can either test free agency and sign with whomever he wants to or he can elect to re-sign with the Vikings (although the deal may be loaded with injury/level of play stipulations).

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

He passed his physical on Monday so his contract will not be tolled. I think that's the best case for both parties in this case.

The Vikings don't set a bad precedent in future cases. They're not going to mess around with their potential Franchise Quarterback's money.

Teddy can either test free agency and sign with whomever he wants to or he can elect to re-sign with the Vikings (although the deal may be loaded with injury/level of play stipulations).

Thanks.  I didn't realize it's the passing of the physical that's really the determining factor with this type of contract tolling, but of course that makes total sense.

6 hours ago, everlong said:

He's going to get a WWE style pop when he finally hits the field.

I think fans of all 32 teams will cheer when he hits the field. Everyone is pulling for him to come back from this injury.

It's not in the same ballpark, but it's similar to when Eric Berry returned - good player, good guy, in a very bad/scary situation where career was in jeopardy, then overcame some huge odds to play again. If you're not cheering for him, you're missing the point.

• 2 weeks later...

Zimmer said he's prepared to activate Bridgewater ahead of the game against the Redskins but will take the rest of the week to evaluate where the quarterback is, 14 months removed from dislocating his left knee and tearing his ACL. Bridgewater has been practicing the past two weeks after he was medically cleared to return on Oct. 16. Even if he is activated at the end of the Vikings 21-day window to decide his status, Zimmer is unsure whether he'll start.

Zimmer: "I haven't decided that yet, we're going to continue to take it one day at a time. Just see where he's at, where the team's at, how Case is doing, the whole deal. Sam, how he's doing."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/79247/mike-zimmer-ready-to-activate-teddy-bridgewater-after-bye-unsure-if-hell-start

On 10/21/2017 at 11:17 AM, SteelKing728 said:

He passed his physical on Monday so his contract will not be tolled.

I believe it still can. Even if a physical is passed, that means he is healthy enough to participate. He is already on the IR, and we don't actually have to take him off of it once placed on it.

If he is on the IR all year the contract tolls.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I believe it still can. Even if a physical is passed, that means he is healthy enough to participate. He is already on the IR, and we don't actually have to take him off of it once placed on it.

If he is on the IR all year the contract tolls.

I don't think that's correct. I think he has to remain on the PUP list, but if you do that with him passing his physical, he's going to contest it. And I would be surprised if he didn't win.

I for one am excited for the eventual return of Theodore Bridgewater.

I would be surprised if the Vikings didn't start him as soon as he looks ready. The team has thus far shown that it can win with mediocre to bad QB (depending on the game) QB play. Plus having him actually get starts only helps them to make a decision with the looming FA period. He will have roughly 3 weeks of full speed practice under his belt, and from all indications his work to return to the field has been stellar. 

Let he man play.

I'm stoked for Teddys return. He's one of my favorite young QBs, and before his injury, I thought he was going to be a top 5 QB one day.

I'm optimistic that he can come back at almost 100% still. Yes the injury is serious but the Vikings and their doctors have really taken their time with this injury because IMO they believe he is their future. Also, he is a more cerebral quarterback who is at his best in the pocket throwing. He isn't like Wilson or Watson, etc.

And this Vikings team is really good. Their OL is much improved, and even without Cook, the run game is still solid. 

On 10/21/2017 at 12:17 PM, SteelKing728 said:

In that case Teddy might walk to Miami or New York. He does deserve to test the market and I'm glad he is given the opportunity.

Archived