Malcolm Butler signs 2 year deal with Patriots

DaPatsKid98

Being a two year deal is the biggest shock about the contract to me.

Hopefully he is there mentally/physically (heard rumblings of retirement in Arizona if I’m remembering correctly?) enough to give us some solid play while we develop some younger guys.

I’m sure he’s lost a step or two since his last stint here, but I don’t hate what he brings to the table for $9M over two years, especially considering how our depth chart is looking as of now at cornerback.

Maybe we also finally get a concrete answer on why he was benched in the Philly SuperBowl…

Welcome home, Malcolm.

Hard to get excited over this one. Familiar face, at least, so we can at least assume that he won’t struggle (re-)learning the defense. 

NE needs veterans in the secondary, so he’s body. Other than that, doesn’t move the needle all that much IMO.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Hard to get excited over this one. Familiar face, at least, so we can at least assume that he won’t struggle (re-)learning the defense. 

NE needs veterans in the secondary, so he’s body. Other than that, doesn’t move the needle all that much IMO.

Pretty much.

Best case scenario is, Belichick pulls a rookie McCourty/ Ryan / Samuel out of this draft, and Malcolm at least soaks up the snaps on the other side while Mills/Mitchell play tic-tac-toe on the sidelines.

1 hour ago, IheartMyV8 said:

Was bad enough watching him get burned constantly his last season here.  I don't envision it being better this go round.

It may be different if they plan to play dramatically more zone this year. Last year I believe they ended up being close to 50/50 zone .. that could be closer to 70/30 zone this year with the lack of elite CB talent.