2022 MLB Discussion/Game Day Thread

beekay414

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Clint Frazier admitted to lying about suffering a second concussion that pretty obviously made him suck the last 1.5 years.

Very talented kid who can pull off a 130 wrc+ in a season when healthy, but very immature and self-centered.

I'm fairly certain I didn't see anywhere in that interview where the Yanks asked him if he had a concussion and he said he didn't.  It was a case of him not disclosing the injury, which is a whole different ball of wax.  He tried to play through the injury, as countless non-established big leaguers do all the time.  In the interview he stated that he suffered the 2nd concussion late in 2020 and played through the symptoms.  He bumped into a wall again in ST in 2021 and the symptoms came back.  He thought he could play through them again like he did before but obviously couldn't.  He eventually ended up taking himself out of a game and sat out a few months before getting 2-3 minor league games in. 

I guess you could say that trying to further one's professional career by not disclosing every injury could be considered self-centered, even though everyone does in his position.  You could also say that removing yourself from a game and taking time off for mental health is self-centered.  I wouldn't say either of those things though, and honestly, his decision to take time off and focus on his mental health showed maturity not immaturity.  The NY media and fans put him through the ringer for this.  Not everyone is built to play in that environment.  Frazier's relief from being out of there was palpable. 

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm fairly certain I didn't see anywhere in that interview where the Yanks asked him if he had a concussion and he said he didn't.  It was a case of him not disclosing the injury, which is a whole different ball of wax.  He tried to play through the injury, as countless non-established big leaguers do all the time.  In the interview he stated that he suffered the 2nd concussion late in 2020 and played through the symptoms.  He bumped into a wall again in ST in 2021 and the symptoms came back.  He thought he could play through them again like he did before but obviously couldn't.  He eventually ended up taking himself out of a game and sat out a few months before getting 2-3 minor league games in. 

I guess you could say that trying to further one's professional career by not disclosing every injury could be considered self-centered, even though everyone does in his position.  You could also say that removing yourself from a game and taking time off for mental health is self-centered.  I wouldn't say either of those things though, and honestly, his decision to take time off and focus on his mental health showed maturity not immaturity.  The NY media and fans put him through the ringer for this.  Not everyone is built to play in that environment.  Frazier's relief from being out of there was palpable.

I disagree with this entirely. The NYY gave Frazier every opportunity to snag that starting position. They wanted him to snag it.

In fact - I've taken the front office to task for holding on to "the promise of him" in numerous trade scenarios - only to come up short on both the trades and the player.

Frazier's admitted he concealed his concussion syndrome - to the detriment of his play on the field and ultimately to his standing with the team.

Neither you or I have access to any medical records which may or may not actually exist revealing the extent of his brain injury.

Nobody was pulling for Frazier to realize his promise more than I was and Yankee fans in general were in agreement. We felt good things awaited him and for quite some time I thought he had some special skills (read: bat speed) - only to enter an extended era of "whats up with this guy" wondering.

Well - if he'd been up front with his situation - or - if the team actually knew of his situation and divulged it publicly - we fans would have had a clue. The player wasnt mistreated. The fans didnt know what his problem was other than not delivering - and some really odd play in the outfield.

He left and dumped all sorts of garbage on the organization about how they'd ruined him. Garbage. By his own admission now - he'd not played it straight with the front office / coaches. Again - the NYY considered him a valued prize and held on to him thru numerous attempts by other teams to secure him. The fans were fully behind those efforts until the player failed to take control of his future numerous times.

That said - I wish him well. He's the definition of an opportunity lost.

Edited by Leader

River Ave. Blues -  Biggest OF contracts in history:

Trout - $425M
Mookie - $375M
Harper - $330M
Stanton - $325M
Yelich - $215M
Heyward - $184M

Bryant turned 30 in Jan. and got 7/182. Semien turned 31 in Sept. and got 7/175. Aaron Judge turns 30 in April, so do the math.

• Jon Heyman -  Yankees are expected to make their first big pitch to star RF Aaron Judge by this weekend. No numbers known, but he figures to have a chance to secure the 5th highest total deal among outfielders (behind Trout, Betts, Harper and Stanton)
Edited by Leader