49ers (Re) Sign Kerry Hyder

NinerNation21

I mean Key is an interior rusher while Hyder did most of his damage on the edge in 2020. I do think Key likely leaves unless he just doesn't get good offers elsewhere and then he may elect to run it back on a one year deal and improve his stock for next offseason. 

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Key is an interior rusher while Hyder did most of his damage on the edge in 2020. I do think Key likely leaves unless he just doesn't get good offers elsewhere and then he may elect to run it back on a one year deal and improve his stock for next offseason. 

I don't think the fact that Key's production came from the inside makes him an inside rusher. He was a situational rusher who had a good stretch beating interior linemen for a while. I sound like a hater, because I keep repeating the same thing over and over, but I honestly think we could have had similar production from other players placed in the same position. His production was schemed, more than created by him. We should also remember that in 2019, we did similar things with Bosa and Ford. We lined them up inside at times, and they just flat out beat interior linemen with their quickness and superior movement skills. But if they were to play there permanently, they'd eventually struggle. But they at least have the benefit of being effective over the edge, which Key hasn't been. The fact that Hyder has been successful at times is great. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Bosa be used the same way Key was used last year. Bosa is soooo dangerous on stunts, when he goes inside. 

• Like 3

Rudy and I talked about this just a couple of days ago. This made a ton of sense and I think is the preferred method if only because I think that Hyder can be very productive (and has been) with Kocurek and was likely going to be cheaper after getting cut. I have no issues with this move and I'm not particularly upset by Key walking. This is (hopefully) value. 

• Like 2

I'm happy with this move. A known commodity that will provide us depth and won't break us.

I think people are going to be surprised with Omenihu next season too. I think our D-Line is coming together quite well actually and we really have a lot of options with guys like Hyder and Omenihu who have inside/outside versatility. I think we'll bring in an edge during the draft and we will all be pretty happy with the results. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'm happy with this move. A known commodity that will provide us depth and won't break us.

I think people are going to be surprised with Omenihu next season too. I think our D-Line is coming together quite well actually and we really have a lot of options with guys like Hyder and Omenihu who have inside/outside versatility. I think we'll bring in an edge during the draft and we will all be pretty happy with the results. 

I'm really bullish on Omenihu as well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John232 said:

Omeninhu gives me DJ vibes, different strengths but I could see him being a really good starter within a year or two. Loved him coming out

I don't know if he'll be a good starter, but I know I prefer to have him at DE than Arik Armstead. Not that he's a better player, but he's strong at the point of attack, and he give move people backwards. I consider the trade to get him one of the key points of our turnaround last year. Most people will point out at moving AA inside as the key, but having a guy like Omenihu made the switch even more effective. 

My other underrated key to the turnaround was moving Charlie Woerner ahead of Dwelley in the depth chart. When he started getting on the field, we introduced an array of combo blocks we hadn't used before in the season. It would often be Juice and Woerner, Kittle and Woerner, Trent and Woerner, or Woerner one on one while Kittle or Juice combo blocked with Trent. And the beauty of those combo blocks was the second blocker peeling off and going to the second level. We didn't have much success with Dwelley out there. But Woerner came in, and the blocking changed dramatically (at least, in my eyes...). That enabled Deebo to go on his run, in my opinion. If we don't find success blocking on the outside, we don't try to run with him as much. I don't know how much losing Mike McDaniel will hurt us in that department. From what I've seen, those kind of things were right in his wheelhouse. 

• Like 4