WHAT IF??? WHAT IF?

elfman1955

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Then Detroit pays Mayfield/Goff 50 million dollars this year.

Even if they cut Goff they are still paying 50 to have Baker start.

Goff's contract isn't realistically tradable.

It makes sense if they don’t want to draft a QB this year.

The winner of Goff vs Baker could buy their current regime time to decide on QB long term.

Always gotta keep in mind, other teams are on the clock too. Matt Campbell needs to sell “hope.” Kinda hard to do that if you’re losing.

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It makes sense if they don’t want to draft a QB this year.

The winner of Goff vs Baker could buy their current regime time to decide on QB long term.

Always gotta keep in mind, other teams are on the clock too. Matt Campbell needs to sell “hope.” Kinda hard to do that if you’re losing.

I can't fathom how it makes any sense. They are paying their starter 30 million and would bring in competition at 20?

Baker isn't signed after this year so he wouldn't be their future. Goff can be cut next year and he probably will be so he isn't there future.

It just makes no sense, they would have to cut or restructure other contracts just to get it done and be able to sign rookies.

I give the Lions a zero percent chance as a landing spot unless someone wants Goff's contract.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I can't fathom how it makes any sense. They are paying their starter 30 million and would bring in competition at 20?

Baker isn't signed after this year so he wouldn't be their future. Goff can be cut next year and he probably will be so he isn't there future.

It just makes no sense, they would have to cut or restructure other contracts just to get it done and be able to sign rookies.

I give the Lions a zero percent chance as a landing spot unless someone wants Goff's contract.

If the Browns agree to pay a good chunk of the contract, which they can do, the Lions have the cap space. If the Browns pay half and trade him for basically nothing as a salary dump, it could happen. They'd have to cut a guy or two, but that's gonna happen anyway. The Browns might have to send a pick even, though.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

If the Browns agree to pay a good chunk of the contract, which they can do, the Lions have the cap space. If the Browns pay half and trade him for basically nothing as a salary dump, it could happen. They'd have to cut a guy or two, but that's gonna happen anyway. The Browns might have to send a pick even, though.

Yeah they could do it that way but what is the Lions' incentive?

Baker isn't looked at as a big upgrade over Goff and they are stuck with Goff so I don't see the point.

Steelers makes more sense but that probably is off the table.

Seattle, if they are trying to win but they apparently like Lock.

Miami but I doubt it.

Houston but if they wanted him it would have been part of the Watson trade.

Falcons but they are already negative in the cap.

Panthers already have the same situation with Darnold and they would have a harder time moving him than we would with Baker because Baker is far superior and they have the same guaranteed salary.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Steelers makes more sense but that probably is off the table.

Seattle, if they are trying to win but they apparently like Lock.

Miami but I doubt it.

Houston but if they wanted him it would have been part of the Watson trade.

Falcons but they are already negative in the cap.

Panthers already have the same situation with Darnold and they would have a harder time moving him than we would with Baker because Baker is far superior and they have the same guaranteed salary.

Safest thing to do is just to keep him and let him walk in free agency. We’d get a comp pick.

Everything I’ve read says we’re fine cap space wise. I’d like to resign Clowney, but I’m okay if we can’t.

Still want to try with Will Fuller too.

Edited by candyman93

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Safest thing to do is just to keep him and let him walk in free agency. We’d get a comp pick.

Everything I’ve read says we’re fine cap space wise. I’d like to resign Clowney, but I’m okay if we can’t.

Still want to try with Will Fuller too.

No issues with cap this year, the issue is not having rollover cap for next year. Getting Baker off of the books would help greatly with that. I honestly wouldn't sign anyone else of value this offseason for the same reason. There will be flaws but it will be better for the future.

Or we could just go all in for this year and the hell with the future. We'd need to cut post June 1/trade John Johnson, Chubb, Cooper, to make it work in all likelihood but we could do it. Ward is out of the picture in that scenario also.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, NudeTayne said:

It's weird that he's not an adult, implied locker room destroyer etc. but same folks fine keeping him in the locker room.

Not sure that applys

Mayfield has invested his money and has a net worth of 30,000,000

He is also making 32,000,000 a year

He better be getting treated as one of cleveland wealthiest business man.

To say he is a kid when he is worth more money and making more money than stefanski and Berry it seems to that they need to grow up.

Haslem is just as bad when when he let's Supervisors have that type of environment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Not sure that applys

Mayfield has invested his money and has a net worth of 30,000,000

He is also making 32,000,000 a year

He better be getting treated as one of cleveland wealthiest business man.

To say he is a kid when he is worth more money and making more money than stefanski and Berry it seems to that they need to grow up.

Haslem is just as bad when when he let's Supervisors have that type of environment. 

Spot on. You made my point for me much better than I could.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, Thomas5737 said:

No issues with cap this year, the issue is not having rollover cap for next year. Getting Baker off of the books would help greatly with that. I honestly wouldn't sign anyone else of value this offseason for the same reason. There will be flaws but it will be better for the future.

Or we could just go all in for this year and the hell with the future. We'd need to cut post June 1/trade John Johnson, Chubb, Cooper, to make it work in all likelihood but we could do it. Ward is out of the picture in that scenario also.

What lol? To go all in this year we would cut JJIII, Chubb, Cooper and potentially Ward? I'm beyond lost trying to make sense of this post lol.