Terry Mac pay the man

ripsean21

On 4/20/2022 at 1:35 PM, aceinthehouse said:

This most recent article, has us potentially trading McLaurin.

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-east/washington-commanders/nfl-analyst-predicts-blockbuster-terry-mclaurin-trade/amp

I really hope we get a deal done soon with him. He's one of my favorite players on the team.

The dude is exactly what this team needs when exemplifying team culture.

He goes out there & gives it his all. He's mature about his business & takes his career seriously, as well as the team.

He's finally got a QB that can get him the ball. 

I wasn't upset when we let Cousins go....I wasn't upset when we let Ioannidis or Settle go, although miffed.

Trading away Scary Terry or simply letting him walk as a Free Agent, would really piss me off.

Let's lock this dude up & keep him here. Sheeeeeesh.

The article is written in something called, The Spun,” that tells me all I need to know. There nothing to the article if you read it. It’s a bunch of ‘if’s and but’s.’ 

I also don’t agree with the bloggers awful take here:

But let’s be real. Unlike the Titans and 49ers, the Commanders’ status as a playoff contender exists mostly in Daniel Snyder’s imagination. Even with McLaurin on the roster, the Commanders are the third-best team in the league’s weakest division.”

I’m not going to sit here and say the Commanders are definitely going to beat out the Cowboys or Eagles for the division but just with the upgrade of Wentz at QB over Heinicke alone, we are not the distant 3rd best team in the NFC East. We will be in the mix with the Cowboys & Eagles to win the division this year.

Let’s not forget last December before the Cowboys game at home w/o Chase, Sweat, Logan or Samuel and with Heinicke as our starter we were in position to be a playoff team. Then, COVID & injuries derailed our season even more vs the Eagles and on the road vs the Cowboys. 

Edited by turtle28

30 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’m just happy we have Terry I think this staff is really lucky to have this guy on and off the field. Get his deal done and get the pieces this guy needs to get the respect league wide he deserves. He’s a heck of a player. Get this guy into the playoffs and let this guy build a legacy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Exactly ! No way we're paying him $100+ million for 4 years when we have him 3 years at about $50-55 mill. You guys better take the medicine .

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10035320-nfl-gm-could-see-wrs-becoming-valued-like-rbs-draft-new-as-rookie-contracts-expire

I think Terry gets the contract extension. Players like Curtis Samuel, sure let them walk. However, Terry McLaurin is a bonafide #1. Even when they have no one around him helping draw coverages away, he gets the job done. 

I hope Terry gives a "little" home town discount (considering 100 million, properly managed, sets you up for life). I also feel that he deserves a nice pay increase, so I won't be upset if he breaks the bank. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think Terry gets the contract extension. Players like Curtis Samuel, sure let them walk. However, Terry McLaurin is a bonafide #1. Even when they have no one around him helping draw coverages away, he gets the job done. 

I hope Terry gives a "little" home town discount (considering 100 million, properly managed, sets you up for life). I also feel that he deserves a nice pay increase, so I won't be upset if he breaks the bank. 

Agree 100% but I don't think he has a snowball's chance . Just not the way they think / operate .

29 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Maybe you or I, but not professional athletes. They (most of them) live a lifestyle where the funds don't last. 

I always wonder . When you get to the multi multi millions, would I worry about every last million . How much money does one need ? Maybe it's pride , so and so got X-dollars and I'm better, more valuable so I need X dollars plus . 

The thing about having a player who is actually a long-term star is that you can give him these contracts that look huge at first blush, but then play the restructuring game in the back end to keep him on the roster at a relatively low cap cost each year. It requires pushing those costs into the future, so has to be a guy that you feel strongly enough about to say “yeah, hard to envision a scenario where we actively don’t want this guy on our roster in 5-7 years.” 

That’s hard for us to relate to, because we’ve had maybe two such players in 15 years (Williams and Kerrigan), and even one of them burned us in the end. 

But I think Terry is that kind of player. He is a star-level talent, he evidently has off-the-charts character and intangibles, and he has the sort of game that will age well — enough speed that he’ll still be dangerous after he loses a step, and enough technique/savvy that he’ll be able to get open despite lessening as an athlete. 

I still think 4 years and $85-90M is where it should be, but per usual, they fouled this up by sitting on their hands and waiting for other people to act first. Shocker of all shockers, the market for WRs got more expensive, not less. Now they have to pay more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

The thing about having a player who is actually a long-term star is that you can give him these contracts that look huge at first blush, but then play the restructuring game in the back end to keep him on the roster at a relatively low cap cost each year. It requires pushing those costs into the future, so has to be a guy that you feel strongly enough about to say “yeah, hard to envision a scenario where we actively don’t want this guy on our roster in 5-7 years.” 

That’s hard for us to relate to, because we’ve had maybe two such players in 15 years (Williams and Kerrigan), and even one of them burned us in the end. 

But I think Terry is that kind of player. He is a star-level talent, he evidently has off-the-charts character and intangibles, and he has the sort of game that will age well — enough speed that he’ll still be dangerous after he loses a step, and enough technique/savvy that he’ll be able to get open despite lessening as an athlete. 

I still think 4 years and $85-90M is where it should be, but per usual, they fouled this up by sitting on their hands and waiting for other people to act first. Shocker of all shockers, the market for WRs got more expensive, not less. Now they have to pay more. 

Maybe Mayhew wants Terry to go and get some other contract offers so they can consider countering…

On 4/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, ripsean21 said:

I’m just happy we have Terry I think this staff is really lucky to have this guy on and off the field. Get his deal done and get the pieces this guy needs to get the respect league wide he deserves. He’s a heck of a player. Get this guy into the playoffs and let this guy build a legacy.

They are lucky to have Terry. They inherited him from Gruden & Kyle Smith, of course they’re lucky to have him!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Washington Commanders wide receiver Terry McLaurin is entering the final year of his contract, and there is reportedly plenty of work to do if the team that drafted him in 2019 will keep him long-term.

According to Nicki Jhabvala of the Washington Post, the two sides "remain far apart" in contract negotiations.

Jhabvala also reported McLaurin was not present for Monday's first workout of organized team activities and has been absent at workouts since the end of April's NFL draft in "an indication of the dissension in negotiations."